Tags:
  1. Literacyr

Literacyr New Member

"To cross" What does it mean in this context?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Literacyr, Sep 29, 2017.

I've decided to finally read Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's a classic and I've only ever heard the story told through multiple lenses of adaptation so I thought I should go back to the source. It's quite old though and there's some parts I don't understand. Usualy I google these but I can only find modern definitions. For example "They crossed each other" when the main character is leaving the inn in the coach (Which I don't know how big it is or how many people it holds) or "He crossed himself reverently" when they see "god's seat" (still very early) but it seems that phrase is coming up over and over so what does it mean?

I first assumed it meant something like "exchanging gazes" but with someone doing it to themselves I thought it meant crossing one's arms.

As I was writing this I realised it might be doing the sign of the crucifix with one's fingers the whole should to shoulder forehead to naval motion. I'm not religious and really know more about ancient mythos than I do anything from the past few centuries.

Did I get it right at some point or is it something else?

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yep. It means to make the sign of the crucifix.

3. Literacyr

Literacyr New Member

All right thank you very much!

4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.

Laurus, Laurin Kelly and Storysmith like this.
  5. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Even though I'm not religious at all anymore, I still cross myself before flinging myself into scary or challenging situations. I grew up very Catholic and it's a tough habit to break.

6. Literacyr

Literacyr New Member

It does no harm really, believe or not if it serves as a mental fortification you may as well keep doing it.

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  7. Radrook

Radrook Banned Contributor

Notice how in the old Dracula films the cross made the vampire flee and cringe in fear. Compare that to how it is sometimes too often depicted today. Today the vampire mockingly smile and even use the cross to murder the priest holding it as was the case in the film End of Days where the Devil is shown waltzing into a Catholic Cathedral, confronting the priest holding the crucifix, ripping it from his hands and plunging it into his forehead. Tells you something about how values have changed doesn't it?