Tags:
  1. para_noir

para_noir New Member

Plot vs. Theme

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by para_noir, May 6, 2008.

What exactly is the difference between the two?

I mean, could I have a theme of finding yourself, being true to yourself, etc, and a plot involving some maniac baboon villain who is out to kill the protagonist? Is that possible?

Or do both the plot and the theme have to be related?

Also, another question on plot.

In the story I'm writing, the character is born out of the energy of a star. Long explanation. I don't wanna type everything here. But the thing is, I have to explain it in the book right? But the rest of the book doesn't deal with space or stars at all. The rest of the book is about her growing up, a relationship and ultimately facing the villain.

Is that okay?

2. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    Technically, you could, but it would be hard. A single theme can be expressed through many different plots, and a single plot could carry many different themes, though some are more likely to go hand-in-hand than others.

Stardust managed it.

3. Iulia

Iulia New Member

Well, I think anything's possible in writing. Besides grammar and spelling, there aren't really any rules. Theme = the thing the book is about (e.g. Hamlet - revenge, Macbeth - greed, Green Eggs and Ham - trying new things) and plot = what happens in the book (e.g. Hamlet - visited by his father's ghost who wants him to kill his uncle, Macbeth - meets witches who tell him he'll be king and starts killing everyone, Green Eggs and Ham - Sam tries to get so and so guy to eat said green eggs and ham.) Sorry about the huge run-on. Write what you want, and see where it takes you. Good luck!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A plot is the organization of events that brings characters from the opening, into the conflict, up to the climax, and finally to the denouement.

The theme is the nsature of the conflict or moral principal the story revolves around.

For example, in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, the theme revolves around the nature of humanity - the soul, if you will, that distinguishes between an animated lump of flesh and a civilized being.

The plot would be that doctor Frankenstein begins experimenting with trying to reproduce the mysery of life, then heis creation escapes, and travels the world trying to discover his inner nature, until he destroys himself and his creator.

5. para_noir

para_noir New Member

K thanks guys. I guess I could try to do that...

6. Phaiyle

Phaiyle New Member

The background of a character doesn't always have to be present in the book. I mean some information on it is a good idea and all.. But it doesn't have to be... and because she was born in france... she decided to go here... or date this guy... or ANYTHING!