Tags:
  1. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Pythonforger, Nov 30, 2010.

Here's the basic story. It's set in the very near future, maybe about 2025 or somewhere around that timeline. Humans have discovered a method of summoning creatures using cards. At first it was treated very seriously, and "Card 101" was actually used as a military weapon. Now, however, cards ten times the power of Card 101 are used as pawns in a card game that the entire world plays.

One of the "Cardmasters", who's the MC, has a quest to be a legendary card player. He doesn't want to "be the very best" or "live up to my name", nothing of that sort, he just wants to become famous and have his name in the history books, you know what I mean?

Anyway, he has many adventures and battles, ranging from battling 2 random kids at the local card shop to fighting for his life in a twisting labyrinth full of hostile Cardmasters.

I've tried to give you as much information as I can without revealing any spoilers, so I hope someone can advice me on this subject-should I bind his adventures as part of a big journey(I was thinking quest to find a stone that would increase his powers a thousandfold) or a series of short adventures(like in the pokemon comics, where all Red really does is battle random wild Pokemon and the Elite Four)?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

Basically, it's up to you to fill in the rest of the pieces. Don't work yourself into a bunch of stress - just write.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Good. You don't want things to get too "embark on a quest to live up to my name" purple-prose-ish, but a desire to have something to brag about is realistic. Know the difference and know it well.

Also, I think 2025 might be too near in the future for something like this. Maybe the card concept gets invented then, but for Card 101 to evolve that much, I'd think it'd be at least a 10-year process all on its own. Maybe 2050 at least? Or 2100?

Aside from that, I agree with Cog. Write your own idea, don't turn to others for validation.

4. Pythonforger

Maybe I should clarify. I'm asking whether it's wise to integrate the card game with the story. And whether it should be mini-adventures or one big adventures. I think the concept is sound. Also, following your advice, I'm changing it to 2073. That should be okay.

Fun fact-Card 101 is actually the weakest card in existence.

Just an interesting fact from my story. Doesn't play any major part, though.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

What do you mean by integrating the card game with the story? Isn't the card stuff a major component of your plot, as in already a part of your story?

6. Jones6192

Jones6192 New Member

I may hate Pokemon and its ilk, but this actually intrigued me. You got my support to keep working on this idea, friend.

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I would if you can do like the TV series and have lots of short stories that form a larger one. Like a mini series in one book (Les Miserables style). That would cater for the massive age range this will cover.

8. Drayneth

Drayneth New Member

Might I suggest noting down the idea you already have? Then possible just brainstorm and rattle down whatever springs to your mind. Once you have this, you might be able to decide how you want to structure any future pieces?
    It may be difficult, but don't let it discourage you from making this work.
    Might I also suggest looking into the likes of Yu-Gi-Oh, runs on a similar concept, and might give you a few ideas on how to move forward as in either comic/novell etc.

Hope this helps,
    Drayneth.

9. JeffS65

JeffS65 New Member

Well, if the card game is a means to end for the plot and not all that integral, then why bother with the card game?

What would have captured my attention is if the card game was how the character navigated the adventure. The cards provide the means, knowledge and tools to get through the adventure. It then lets the reader become involved with the card concept and uses a structure to move the story.

10. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I think the question is strange. It's like asking, "Should I write a fantasy or a science fiction novel? Which genre is best?"

Or is the question you're really asking, "I want to write a story to market a card game. Which way of writing it would work best as a marketing tool?"

11. Celia.

Celia. New Member

good luck whatever you do!

12. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

If you're looking to develop a line of merchandise, IMHO (and it's just an opinion), shorter fiction may be better.

If developed into a television series, episodic stories will work better, though you should also include some arcs connecting characters/stories. If turned into novels, your target audience (I assume younger) will be more inclined towards novellas and graphic novels. If a role-playing game, then the players will want something that can be played over a night or two.

Come what may, I wish you luck with development of your stories &/or card-game.

-Frank

13. Pythonforger

What I'm asking is,"Should I just scrap the card game concept altogether and just write another story?" You get me? The card game mixing with a story isn't very common, and it might not be wise to tread off the beaten path.

14. JeffS65

JeffS65 New Member

...or may be the very reason your story is compelling if you do it right.

If you adhere to good character development and have a compelling story otherwise, the card game could be a fresh approach. The beaten path you should stay on in writing is making sure the characters are good and story that makes the reader want to go along for the ride. The card game is not something that would throw a reader off. I'd say the opposite, if done right, could be the element that engages a reader.