1. Moor123

Moor123 Member

Romance and Murder Mystery Writer Says Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Moor123, Jun 28, 2021.

Hello everyone,

I am a 43 year old man going back and forth between the United States and Mexico. I have written over 1,000,000 words of erotica, but now I am in the process of drafting my first YA murder mystery novella. I'm enjoying the process. The book will have 18 chapters, and I've written three of them and revised the first two. I plan for it to be roughly 30,000 words. I'm guessing the book will be finished around July 5 or 6 depending on what I do for the Independence Day American holiday. I look forward to talking to everyone here.

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Hi @Moor123 and welcome to the forum! Are you also by any chance a mathematician? There are quite a lot of numbers in that post. :cool: :p

Not that it's any kind of problem, it just struck me. I'm one of those people who, on seeing either big numbers or a lot of them, shy away in the manner of a slug from a pile of salt. My problem of course, not yours.

I hope you enjoy your stay here and looking forward to seeing some of your writing.

3. Moor123

Moor123 Member

Thank you @Xoic I appreciate that. I am actually quite terrible at math haha, but I do keep accurate tallies of my word counts. I used to write 2,000 to 4,000 words a day, and I've slowed down in that regard a lot, but I would like to get back to writing, maybe something more wholesome and not so soul-killing as erotica. That's why I'm trying to write YA murder mysteries. This is my first one, and I am trying to keep myself on a writing/editing schedule that will get it done fairly quickly. Thank you again.

Xoic likes this.
  4. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Welcome. A million words of erotica. Not everyone can say that.

5. Moor123

Moor123 Member

Thank you @Catriona Grace . I'm hoping I can write even a fraction of that in the cozy mystery category. I have a synopsis for a manuscript that I'm a few chapters into. I'll try to post that soon.

6. petra4

petra4 Active Member

Currently Reading::
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    Hi and welcome.

Writing erotica is hard going . . . worse than research (I believe).

7. Moor123

Moor123 Member

Hi @petra4 , yes, writing erotica was crushing my spirit. Research is hard too, which is why I choose to do as little as possible haha. I once wrote a historical romance, and I read a Wikipedia page and that was about it! :)

8. petra4

petra4 Active Member

Currently Reading::
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    Yes, I'd agree. I always had an appreciation of writers (authors). More so, when you're writing yourself . . . the words, grammar, proof etc.
    No, I don't write as such but keep a private journal which quite a lot goes into it . . . (if you know what I mean).

As for "crushing my spirit" . . . very different when going through an experience (and/or phase) in ones life and coming out of the other end, having lived the experience :)

Take care and again, welcome