1. nykeron

nykeron New Member

music while writing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nykeron, Jan 1, 2013.

Do you listen to music while writing/creating?

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Only if I need to block out other noise.

3. The Vortex

The Vortex New Member

Almost always! Music has often inspired my writing; certain songs and albums create such a vivid picture in my mind that it really helps me feel the mood of a given scene. I don't particularly have a preference whether or not there are vocals - sometimes the lyrics evoke a concept I want to expand upon, while other times I just tune out the words and listen to the melody instead.

I also like to write stream-of-consciousness journal entries set to music. That was always my favorite part of creative writing class - we'd spend the first ten minutes of every day writing whatever came to mind while we listened to a random piece of music chosen by the teacher. Now I usually just pick a radio station that plays a genre I'm not too familiar with and spend ten or fifteen minutes writing whatever that music evokes. I find it's good practice to get the creative juices flowing, and it can yield useful material for other projects.

4. Wilmeister

Wilmeister Member

Yes, I do.

Top artists I listen to when writing:

1)2pac

2)Nirvana

3)Jimi Hendrix

4)Janis Joplin

5)Johann Sebastian Bach

5. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

I'll almost always start listening to music, but once I'm caught up properly in writing I don't often realise it's finished.

6. Mithrandir

Mithrandir New Member

In the general vicinity of the Atlantic Ocean
    Gregorian chants from the Templars are my favorite currently. I'm going for a sacrosanct feel in my setting.

7. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I find and play music that would help me tell my adventure story. Sometimes I play the theme to indiana jones to help me lol

8. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

I generally listen to a Playlist consisting of Matt & Kim and Passion Pit

It's the adventure it sounds like

9. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Always...

Hans Zimmer
    Two Steps From Hell
    Nightwish
    James Newton Howard
    Howard Shore
    Harry Gregson-Williams
    John Williams
    Alexandre Desplat
    Steve Jablonsky
    Airborne Toxic Event
    John Powell
    John Barry
    John Ottoman
    Thomas Newman
    Joel McNeely
    Jerry Goldsmith

And...more...

10. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I do, most of the time. Only when I struggle so hard to keep concentration and the actual words of the song are distracting me, I turn it down or try to find something instrumental. But I choose music that sets the tone for the scene I am writing. Or at least I try to.

11. iChaotix

iChaotix New Member

I almost exclusively listen to Kingdom Hearts Piano Collection, but lately I was introduced to Blackmill (A very slow piano/dubstep mixture) which enhanced my creative output significantly. If anyone is interested here's my favorite song by Blackmill

12. Talmay

Talmay Member

Only orchestral. Lyrics distract me.

13. M2013

M2013 New Member

When I absolutely crave silence is the only time ever that my music isn't on. Typically it usually is classic or soundtrack scores. Often, music without lyrics tends to grab my attention for something happening within the story (whether it is a current one I'm working on or another idea for one). Great score soundtracks include: TRON (remixed is great too), any Harry Potter (Prisoner of Azkaban my favorite), Glory, Blackhawk down, Fifty Shades of Gray ( just the soundtrack people, I only like the soundtrack), Pride and Prejudice, any Pirates of the Carribean (though the first one is better in my biased opinion), Glory (movie is about African Americans in the Civil War), and of course, but not in the last, The Last of the Mohicans.

Soundtracks that have lyrical music typically found in the movie I have one: Underworld. Not the second but the first original soundtrack. Best variety out there and one of my favorites David Bowie's "Bring me the disco king" (Loner Mix). If I could figure out how to Link YouTube video I would.

You can find samples or full albums on there, and if you're lucky someone has a playlist you can listen too with a bunch of these on there.

M.

14. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

All the time. Although I try to avoid listening to love songs, or at least listening to it repeatedly, even if I'm writing romance. It gets me too deep in thought, I get distracted, and stop writing to go cry in a corner somewhere. Okay maybe not that dramatic, but at most I'll listen to a couple of love songs, and then change it to something else.

15. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I don't listen to music while I write. It affects my style. It screws up the rhythm of my prose and makes it difficult to create the mood I'm aiming for. I read over my work the next day and it just doesn't communicate the way I wanted it to. It's much easier to get the effect I want if I work in silence, or with random noise in the background.

16. radnommandess

radnommandess New Member

Sometimes if I'm having difficulty getting into flow it can help other times it can hinder. If I'm having difficulty getting into what I'm writing I'll stick some music on. Quite often just the act of making a playlist can get me going. When the music works and gets the creativity juices flowing I don't realise when the music stops. Strangely hearing the neighbours music faintly in the background is even mor conducive to getting things moving.

17. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

When I'm writing (no matter whether it is stories or homework) I love to listen to instrumental music. I find that lyrics mostly distract me, and if they don't I'm not listening on what they are singing anyway.

A lot of times, however, I get so caught up in writing/thinking that I sit there with my earphones in my ears without ever starting the music...

18. XIII

XIII Member

Always. If I'm not in school, I've got ear buds in my ears. Like right now, I'm listening to that Blackmill song (which is very pretty by the way). It just depends on the section of a story I am currently writing. If I listen to fast-paced, hard rock songs than my writing is going to be fast and action-packed..... but if it's slow and calming, it has ways of making my writing paced and steady. Problem? I can't stand slow music, and I pretty much only listen to Breaking Benjamin and Blue Stahli.