1. darkbeetlebot

darkbeetlebot New Member

what are the characteristics of a female hardcore sadist character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by darkbeetlebot, Mar 21, 2012.

I am making a female character who is a hardcore sadist. what are the characteristics of said personality in detail?

2. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

Google/wikipedia would know better than most (if not all) of us. "Sadistic personality disorder" used to be an official psychological diagnosis; you can google the criteria/traits for that.

3. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Lol I can relate to this one.

Females are unique because they are always sadistic in one way or another. Aside from the sexual sadistic personality, behaviors can include dominance, manipulation physical and psychological and enjoyment of one's misery. They tend to want to have the same or more dominance then the male counterpart.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I think your question is a bit broad. Do you mean sadistic as in a bully to other women, or abusive to her romantic partner, or a sadist in the dominatrix/sexual kind of way? Or is she just really mean to everyone? A terrible boss? Does she kidnap people and hurt them? Etc.?

How exactly is she a sadist, and WHY? Knowing this will make it much easier to help you.

5. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Mallory is right, it's a bit broad.

Is she a hardcore sadist only in sexual matters or is she that way in her everyday life as well?

Sadist: Someone who takes pleasure from harming and/or humiliating some one, both sexual and not. The important bit in that is that it's not restricted to sexual acts. While culture states most of those who participate in this kind of relationship it does not leave the bedroom. It's readily depicted as someone taking control when they don't have it outside of the bedroom and letting go of control if they're full of it for masochist. Google those and it'll lead you quickly to all of the schools of thoughts and those who termed the words and the theories behind it.

The man aspect is that they take pleasure from the act. That is what makes them a sadist opposed to just plain cruel, abusive etc.

6. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Sadistic personality does not have to be abusive. I can be sadistic when talking on the phone with customer service when I am unsatisfied and try to manipulate the situation.

Sadistic personality disorder is when you abuse the power of control both physical, emotional and psychological. You find pleasure in other's pain and struggle.

Movies and Magazines over exaggerate what is no big deal. Growing up, my experiences might as well come from the movies.

7. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

TO REITERATE WHAT KAYMINDLESS SAID:

Sadism: The tendency to derive pleasure, esp. sexual gratification, from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others. (in general use) Deliberate cruelty. (Oxford English Dictionary)

Be careful when you throw around words to which you don't know the definition, ESPECIALLY when you use them to stereotype an entire group of people.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Only if you're taking pleasure from it. Being cruel and degrading because you're aggravated or what not and want your issue solved your way is not sadistic.

9. darkbeetlebot

darkbeetlebot New Member

she is a sadist in more than one way, more often, she gets off from the most fucked up of things. she will even commonly go as far as murder just for kicks.
    the reason she is a sadist is because she was born like that, she also has the insanity trait.
    so, yeah, she is the sexual kind.
    she also gets more from killing than just maiming and unusual torture.

10. Erato

Erato New Member

I hope she's not your MC, or else you're the most fantastic writer since Euripides, because otherwise most people couldn't stand it.

I think you can figure out the character. She likes to see others suffer, likes to have control over people, likes to be powerful. Make her yours.

11. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

The phrase "the insanity trait" worries me - it sounds a bit like something from a roleplaying game. I'm worried that you may not be creating a fully developed character here.

12. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

I did not know till I checked, but the latest DSM, DSM-IV, does not have sadistic personality disorder as a valid diagnosis. The DSM-3R required at least 4 of the following to make the diagnosis: 1) Use of physical violence or cruelty to establish dominance in a relationship. 2) Humiliating or demeaning someone in the presence of others. 3) Treating or disciplining someone unusually harshly. 4) Being amused by or taking pleasure in the pain and suffering of others. 5) Lying for the purpose of causing pain or harm. 6) Intimidating or terrorizing others. 7) Restricting the autonomy of someone with whom one has a close relationship. 8)Being fascinated by violence, weapons, torture and the like.

So it goes well beyond simple manipulation.

13. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Yep, they removed it. I think the wiki document states why, but they remove things and edit things all the time for various reasons. Right now Sadism is only a defect if it is harmful to the person or done without consent.

14. Drusilla

Drusilla Active Member

Do you mean a "sex sadist" or a "non-sex sadist"?

Are you writing about the dominatrix temptress or the "Dolores Umbridge"?

Please clarify.

15. darkbeetlebot

darkbeetlebot New Member

I meant there is a rare trait in her family's bloodline that induces mental insanity.

drusilla, to answer your question: sex sadist.
    she also is half of dominatrix temptress and dolores umbridge, but more so dominatrix temptress.

yes, she is the main character, erato.
    but she's more complex than just sadistic, insane, murderous, etc.

16. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

I just had a visual of D Umbridge in a leather corset and undies...ugh.

17. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

Can I give my two cents...?
    Leather :D