1. persona_non_grata

persona_non_grata New Member

Shiver Me Members

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by persona_non_grata, Jul 29, 2007.

Hi,

I really hate first impressions. I must admit that I was a bit intimidated after reading xxxheatherxxx's reply to Try Gurgling Ketchp. I hope you guys are not too hungry.:p I Loved the quote though. Deep! What is its origin?
    Anyways, I am an aspiring writer, a beginner, and determined as hell. I can use all the (polite) advice you have to give. I am really excited about joining your group; I hope to learn lots and meet some interesting people.

2. Bick

Bick New Member

Rofl! Aw, don't feel intimidated :p

-shakes your hand- Glad you could join our wacky group!

Welcome :D

3. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Howdy ho! Welcome to the group of desperately sweet writers. We all can use a bit of sanity, so very welcome :) If you need help, drop in a PM anytime.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to the forums! And don't worry about Heather's reply- it was a deliberate shot at SnipSnap, who is already an established member. We're really nice, in reality (although we are all certified crazies). Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here, and if you need any help, please feel free to ask.

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

hahaa, sorry sunshinee, that was intended for SnipSnap, not anyone else. anywaym don't be too afraid, we don't bite too much :p
    yea, welcome to the forum, have a look around and hpefuly post some of your work up for us to read. what sort of things do you write? if you have any questions or queries, or just want a little chat, feel free to PM me and i'll be happy to help.

and as for my signature, i don't have a clue where i came from now, i have a collection of them stashed on a word document and i change 'em from time to time. glad you like it though :)

Heather (who is friendlier than she seems.)

6. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Hi welcome and pull up a chair, don't be intimidated, we're all amenable really!Any questions let us know and enjoy yourself!

7. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Yeah we are a pretty crazy bunch here don't ya think?
    I run around the forum with a whip actually!!! But is ok I don't attack new members..hehehehe

Anyways welcome to the forum I do hope that you have a wonderful time here with all of us.
    I look forward to seeing you around the board and do hope that you join in with the various competitions that we have going.

Torana :p:)

8. persona_non_grata

You guys are so sweet. Thanks for the warm welcome. You are making me want to change my username already.

As I said earlier I am a beginner. I have always loved to read. I have been thinking of writing for the past couple of years, but lacked the self confidence. My thinking was that nothing was better than bad. I have come to realise that nothing is nothing and at least bad is something, and who knows with time and effort I may even become very good. In fact I am hell bent on it.

My writing experience is limited. I wrote a few reports in college, and some poetry as a teenager; It was mostly the rhyming, love sick for the jerk, kind of stuff. Nothing substantial or meaningful; Although at the time it seemed so, if you know what I mean.

My plan is to start with some warm up exercises, move to short stories and finally graduate to novels. I was checking out the story chain you have going. It looks like it could be a very beneficial type of exercise, as well as a lot of fun. I will need all the experience, comments and (constructive) criticism you can offer.

9. persona_non_grata

Ouch brick wall??

I was reading over the rules and I want to be sure that I understand this correctly :confused: :confused: :confused:

If I want to post any work of my own, of any genre, I must have a copy write first? What about works I am just playing around with, pieces that I need advice on, etc.

How do I get a work copy written? Is there a way to do this over the net? I am living in Egypt right now and I don't know how to do something like that here. Is their a forum for questions and answers?

P.S. This is the first forum I have ever been in so please be patient.

Thanks so much

10. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Hey there! Welcome to the forums, glad to see that you're settling in ok and moving past the madness that is us :D

You don't need to have copyright to post anything here, however you may wish to have someway of proving that the work is yours.

The simple reason being that theoretically any random stranger on the internet could come here and claim your work as their own and get it published. Then if you had no way to proove it was your own then you'd be a little bit stuck.

11. Kit

Was searching through the forums to see what we have about copyright here and I found this useful post:

That seems pretty simple to me and it is recommended on many websites.

Also, where abouts on the forums did you read that your work had to be copyrighted? I'm pretty sure that's not the case, but if there is something written that is confusing members then it may need changing.

12. Heather Louise

i never knew that, how's you do that like 'cos i have seen a few people do it before. i wanna go :p
    how does that work like?
    why? lol.
    Heather

13. Kit

I'm not sure how it works, I used Cogito's post. I'm pretty sure that it is because the envelope is then stamped with the date with your work inside, so if you ever need to proove when you wrote it you can.

Like if someone published your work as their own in a magazine.. you can say well I actually I wrote it on this date which was before you claim to have written it.

14. Banzai

You automatically own the copyright of anything you create, from the moment of creation. Copyright registering and such is just a way of proving that you own copyright, in a legal situation. Basically, anything you post has to be your own work, and not plagerised.

15. Heather Louise

but just because it is in an evelope does not mean that it is yours. you could have stole it, typed it up then mailed it to yourself. :|

16. Banzai

You send it recorded mail, so it's in your name. But no, it isn't perfect, Heather. No system is.

17. Heather Louise

owww, okii dokii. cool.

18. Kit

Yeah, there are flaws in everything. I suppose then it would be down to the other person to prove that they had it earlier?

19. Banzai

Yup. Always point and counterpoint.

20. Kit

The usual way of life then lol

21. persona_non_grata

Hi again,

I looked around on the net. It seems that the copy write offices are a little slow on updating their technology. Apparently, they are working on electronic copyright at the moment in which you can get the copyright over the net for $35. I don't know if another way already exists via internet, but here is the site...

copyright.gov/eco/

I think another downfall in the 'mail it to yourself' idea is that a person could claim that you put your work into the envelope after it was post dated. It is possible to do this by not completely sealing the envelope when you mail it, gently opening the sealed portion, slipping your work in, and sealing it tightly. Right??!!

22. persona_non_grata

The forum rules say, under the heading of Posting Poems and Stories

"You must own the copyright to all work claimed your own."

I have a couple of other questions as well.

1. How do I add info to my profile? I would love to put in my favorite quote before my signature as you all have.

2. How do I add links to my messengers, and how do I access others messengers?

3. Is there a question and answer area in the forum?

23. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

The answers to your questions all lay in you USERCP. That is where you can add everything to your profile and so forth.

24. Banzai

Torana's right. You can change your profile through your UserCP. And here is the question and answer forum:

Suggestions and Feedback - Writing Forums

25. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello persona non grata (which you are not :)), Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, You should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!