1. lameri

lameri New Member

Punctuation in dialogue

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by lameri, Feb 15, 2012.

Hello, what do you do when a character reads aloud something inside of a dialogue--do you use both double (for the dialogue) and simple (for the reading) quotes? From my manuscript:

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

That's basically what I would do; perhaps add a space between " and '. Or you could use italics for the inscription. (Oh, and I think you've got an extra in here: "“’I’m)

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I always try to avoid quotes in speech, so I wouldn't bother with them. I'd probably do something like:

"I have something for you," William said.
    "What?"
    "Happy anniversary!" He handed her the card.
    "I’m so happy we found each other, I love you," Ann read out aloud. She looked up. Smiled. “Thank you. I feel the same way.”

4. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

I agree with madhoca's reasoning that it's probably best to avoid them. There are definitely ways around it.

However, if I came to a point where it was necessary, I would probably do the same as you suggested.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you want to keep the written quotation distinct from speech, you could use a block quote, which is an indented paragraph, or group of paragraphs, without quotation marks. This may help: He said, she said - Mechanics of Dialogue