1. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Editing Idea - You review mine and I'll review yours

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by guamyankee, Feb 19, 2011.

Has anyway ever considered having another writer critique their work, in exchange for you doing the same with theirs? Just a brainstorm idea I just had. Might be something I'd consider doing further down the road.

And, yes, I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this.

1 person likes this.
  2. KelseyRAK

KelseyRAK New Member

I think it's good to have another writer review another's work and it can always be helpful when suggesting different things with their piece.

I would happily review someone's work for exchange of them reviewing my own.

3. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

That's kind what this site is all about. Chances are, if you give a thoughtful review of someones work, they'll do the same for you.

Though I admit I don't know from experience, cause I haven't posted any of my own writing yet. :D

4. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I'm talking about a whole novel though. 80,000 words, off-site, so it isn't viewable by the public, so it can still be published. That's the sort of exchange I'm referring to. I should have made that clear in my original post.

5. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

In that case, yes, I think it's an excellent idea.

6. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I'm gonna step into dream world for a second here, and imagine both editor's works were successful, and published. Now that would be one hell of a camaraderie, wouldn't you say?

7. Spring Gem

Spring Gem New Member

That's usually called beta reading and can include anything from general comments to line editing.

8. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Beta reading. I like it. I'm gonna call my idea mutual beta reading. Patent pending. :)

9. joelpatterson

joelpatterson New Member

The "beta cloud."

10. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Yes, getting a friend (online or RL, as long as they're a writer) and reviewing each other's stuff works great, I do it all the time.

1 person likes this.
  11. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I have beta read a couple of manuscripts that have now been accepted by publishers for epublication. They have been pleased enough with my beta reading to keep me on the list.

I have learned over the past year that unless it is going for a publishing deadline I will only do it chapter by chapter and exchange them as I can spend hours on someone else only to have it not returned. Its all good though I learn while I am doing it, but I don't give all my work on the manuscript back until I see evidence mine is being done as well.

I need a new one though as have to get five chapters ready quickly next week. They need to go from only existing in first draft form to final edit.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the problem with that is it can too easily be a case of 'the blind leading the blind'...

having another beginner edit your work might not be a good thing... same goes for you, as a beginner, editing anyone else's work... the results could do more harm than good...

13. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Well, I've got one good eye, at least. Sure, you don't want to exchange your work with a buffoon, I understand. I'm only half-buffoon, so that's who I'd be looking for.

14. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

I think that the most important thing is that the person beta reading you likes the genre you're writing and is the closer to the audience you want to reach as possible. If the beta reading person is also a writer, great. For me, any constructive criticism is valuable.

How did you get someone to read your novels, Mallory and Elgaisma? Was it a friend or was it through some sort of beta-readers social network?

15. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Friends from WF and real-life friends who are writers.

1 person likes this.