Tags:
  1. GalaxyGakuto

GalaxyGakuto New Member

Any ideas for this opening?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by GalaxyGakuto, Dec 30, 2020.

MC wakes up in another reality.
    I’d like to mention this is not the FIRST way of opening.
    This is the inciting incident but I’d think happened beforehand would be that it opens with MC in their house wandering off in their own daydreams.
    I wouldn’t really stick to the alarm clock thing but another idea I had in mind BEFORE the inciting incident is that MC wakes up after passing out from fatigue after spending a chunk of, if not. the entire day out there I.e literally exploring and just out there really. think studying on various topics and vice versa
    I may use the second version if I add more details to it while making the reader/player feel plunged into the next parts of the story and feeling the vibes of said writing. keep in mind the reality thingy doesn’t happen right away and more so I’d like to add hints/small fractions to indicate its the inciting incident and keep the readers busy while thinking anything of what’ it’s like.
    Now, let’s see what’s the problem is and or would be?
    I do feel like these don’t have that factor that makes you FEEL like your immersed in the beginning and are focused that much, it feels boring in a sense now that I reflect on it,
    It just feels plain for a starter, although a starter doesn’t always have to be complicated it fits more into the “The starter felt too common in a sense and just feels like it needs more details to actually fit with the rest of the story”
    [ PS. Any form of critique as long as it’s constructive works. I’d like to mention that MC isn’t far too talkative, I’ll perhaps maybe make another thread regarding the reality thing? But nonetheless, I’ll appreciate any forms of help ]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Something exciting has to happen in this other world, or there needs to be a compelling reason why the character is there (or why they can go there). Something that changes the character's life and forces them to engage.

In other words, what is the story?

3. GalaxyGakuto

GalaxyGakuto New Member

Well, thank you for the advice!
    If your speaking about what the story revolves on, (to explain it in a more detailed esque since all I said was mc goes to another reality) mc after the beginning events and only a few minutes before the incident starts to make thought of all of the hints and signs. They knew it’d be coming but at the same time so confused on how and why.
    I’d like to keep this space more simple, but this is where mc’s engagement starts to take in play and action.
    This story is more based on actions than words. What you do in that story? Forms the entire outcome. Not just speaking endings here. Literally how the other characters are towards you. How the vibes of that reality outcome. And how mc outcomes
    You also mentioned why MC is there, id like to say even though mc is familiar with different realities and studies of such id feel like it wasn’t out of pure randomness but im figuring out ideas. But again advice is always welcome

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  4. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I'd say this (points to the above) sounds to me like a much stronger beginning than just waking up. If you can show me the hints, the confusion, the—maybe—indications that something's gonna happen now and the MC is powerless to stop it, the fear of what's coming, then you've hooked me. Three, four paragraphs only, but with the feeling of unreality growing stronger ever sentence. Then you can have him wake up somewhere new, and I'd be invested to find out what actually happened.

GalaxyGakuto likes this.
  5. GalaxyGakuto

GalaxyGakuto New Member

[PS. I sincerely apologize for my late reply.]
    I’d say the indications/hints are more so leading to the various places and characters that MC sees in that reality along with previous lore of said reality.
    you are right about MC being virtually powerless to do something about the incident.
    I’d say how mc’s fear forms is in a way of questioning future chaos and their own safety of what occurs in that reality since it’s so vast and even with so much lore behind the face of it. That fear grows stronger the more mc leads up to the incident BEFORE they wake up in that reality. I’d say the 3D is almost-illusion like? Without following the cliche of “its just all a dream” or “its a hallucination”. Because once again mc is in this physical reality, but it wraps to their sense of that reality and how it feels.
    [not entirely sure how to word this properly. So you may ask more questions]

6. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I think you need to show the original world some and how the MC lives within it, or the reader will have no reason to wish for their return. In fact, I'd yank them out of the world at a time of crisis. That way they have a real reason for trying to get back to it.

7. The Multiverse

The Multiverse Member

If you don't mind my asking, how exact do you plan for your MC to get there? Are we talking, died and was reborn? Or prefer he doesn't die prior to being transferred? Also, do you prefer a comedic approach? Or perhaps something more tragic? Or just an out of nowhere for no appearent reason?

8. GalaxyGakuto

GalaxyGakuto New Member

I wouldn’t say it was comedic nor tragic. I’d say almost serious in a way.
    Also with the reason thing i have stated I’m figuring it out but mc was never there not out of pure fate/randomness, I’d say mc first does make sense of the implications, but then after making sense of the world. lore, and etc mc leads up to know why they were there. Mc does not die prior to going there. It seems hard to explain so i apologize for that but nonetheless I appreciate your question.

9. GalaxyGakuto

GalaxyGakuto New Member

Thank you for the info!
    I feel like I’d make mc have more of a stronger emotional bond with their own reality beforehand, I feel like I’d implement how mc has that bond. how mc feels in that state of crisis. And how they’d adjust to figuring out how to come back. I feel like the real reason thing was actually a good thing to add in to.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  10. The Multiverse

The Multiverse Member

It's not hard in the least. All you've done is check the boxes that don't apply.

You have several tropes available to you. Most notably is the trope of saving someone else from death only to die yourself. For story purposes, you don't need the MC to actually die. Just have them in a situation where they would have died and have a "higher power" intervene.

Off the top of my head, i'd say something to do with water would be a good transitioning tool for teaveling to the other world (personal preference).

If you do decide to go the tragic route, you have many more options to use. Humanity's capacity for suffering is limitless. Because of that, the desire to escape from a world that so freely gifts it's people suffering is a common theme.

Of course, if you go with an out of the blue transfer, you can use any number of mechanics to keep an MC on the path you choose. Don't feel bad about being confused by your own explanation. You're still in the primordial soup phase of the story so many details have yet to form and fall into place. If you solidify your goal for the rough story and feel confident that you know where you want it to go, i'll be able to provide more precise options for you to pull inspiration from.

11. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

I read somewhere that you're not supposed to begin a story with waking up. Don't remember why.

I recommend starting off with a dream, or maybe reflecting on a day that was really rough, or maybe doing something alone, and MC is wishing not to be alone.