1. HPandtheMI

HPandtheMI New Member

Choosing fantasy race

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by HPandtheMI, May 9, 2009.

So I'm writing my first fantasy novel, I have a rough idea of what I want to happen but I'm unsure of what race I want my characters to be. There are four MC's: Aysel Rose Forsythe, Rone Chandler Evans, Jackson Skye Bennett, and Twilight Heart. Each of these could change the story as they would have different powers and prejudises.

#1) This was my original: all of them are elves
    #2) All of them are fey and use the Seelie / Unseelie courts
    #3) Each are of different races

What are your opinions? How do you determine what races you would like to talk about?

2. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

What difference does it make to the story? I'm not being a jerk, it's a valid question.

3. HPandtheMI

HPandtheMI New Member

Yea... So it would just change their skills, how they get out of situations, ect. Except for the last one would create a little more tension, maybe a little hate at the beggining if the races don't technically get along. I've just been going back and forth for a little while so I was wondering how other people choose, maybe if some seem a little more cliche and you don't suggest doing it.

4. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Hmm, if it's not just an aesthetic change, I'd probably make them all the same race. I'm not sure what the differences are between your races, but familiarity between characters makes it easier for them to relate between themselves. Of course, an interspecies group may also be done well, but I just prefer the other option.

5. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

it's your story do what you want with it, we can't tell you what to write as if its not your idea, it may seem forced

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It is your story, as others have said. The answer to that question is not a tivial one' I don't see how you can have a story in ,ind without having already made that choice.

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

This is one of those "Do whatever you feel like" situations. We don't know enough about your story to have any idea which would be best. Is there a reason to have them all different species? How would them being elves that are or aren't a part of the Seelie and Unseelie Court influence the characters and the story? The origin of the word is actually the Anglo-Saxon word for fairy-type beings that do exist within the folklore of those worlds.

8. HPandtheMI

HPandtheMI New Member

Okay, thanks... I think I've decided to go with the fey.... I've been really interested in that idea recently so I want to give it a shot.