1. Spudfuzz

Spudfuzz New Member

Opinions on Writing a Good Hook/ Blurb

Discussion in 'Blurb Critique' started by Spudfuzz, Jul 21, 2017.

I'm asking more so in regards to webcomics, however, I thought approaching seasoned writers/ novelists would be better to ask about this topic.

Something that's been bugging me lately when I read the hook of a comic's plot, especially an ongoing series, is that I feel like they always tell me entire story before I read it. For example:

"Lucy is an alien princess who goes on a wild space adventure to find out who killed her father and along the way she meets notorious space pirates and slave traders and other bright and wonderful characters."

I mean, yeah, that is the story. But isn't it a little much to tell your audience things like these before they even happen? I guess what I'm asking is, if I care about the rule of "show, don't tell" how would you go about balancing mystery while also writing something that explains what your story is about? Additionally, is it wrong at all to explain plot points in your hook or is it ok? Right now I have rather vague descriptions that touch more on the underlying point of the story rather than the events that unfold within it. But I also don't feel like they're enticing descriptions, either because they're so vague. Examples:

"Everyone has a daily dole to pay and some prefer more expedient methods. However, outsourcing responsibility has it's price, too. " (short story)

"There are many paths to recognition but treating others the way you'd like to be treated is the difference between fame and infamy." (short story)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think that in the context of submitting writing for possible publication, a synopsis actually is supposed to give everything away--I think that's its purpose.

I realize that may not be relevant to your point--it sounds more like you're talking about a blurb or preview or whatever you call it when you're trying to give away just enough to spark interest. But I wanted to mention it.

Spudfuzz likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, this. What the OP seems to be describing is the blurb or teaser that is specifically designed to draw the reader's interest into reading the book.

A synopsis is a complete blow by blow of everything that happens in the story. These are written for potential publishers/agents/editors who have no aversion to spoilers. Although the word "synopsis" is often synonymous with a summary or blurb, an official synopsis is not intended for public consumption. It's an industry thing used only to describe the entirety of a story to people who don't have time to "see what happens in the end."

4. Spudfuzz

Spudfuzz New Member

I actually just went on google to see what I could find and you're correct, a short blurb/ hook is what I'm looking for.