1. Catmyname1

Catmyname1 New Member

Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Catmyname1, Sep 11, 2010.

I was wondering what companies you would suggest for publishing, as well as some good printing companies? I have decided to publish a book :)

I also have to write it, but I thought I should get publishers before I write.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

If you are writing fiction I am fairly sure the US like the UK won't consider you without a completed novel unless you are a celebrity. Until you know what genre how long it is etc you won't know where to target it.

3. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

I think you have the writing-publishing process a little backwards, Catmyname. I mean, it might be a good idea to research a list of potential publishers as you write, but you won't be contacting them before you have a book ready.

First, write the book. Then, when the book is finished to the best of your current ability, send a query package to a few publishers while you start on the next book.

Writing, especially fiction writing, is a terribly deceptive job. It looks easy, like public speaking or furniture carving or swimming. But most people know better than to think they can just want to do a job and suddenly be a great swimmer, a great speaker, a great carpenter or biologist or computer programmer.

Lots of people, unfortunately, think that writing a book is something anyone can do well, right away. If you're looking for a publisher before you've even started your book, you are probably jumping the gun.

4. Catmyname1

Catmyname1 New Member

Ooh, I think I wrote my previous post a little oddly. What I meant was for after I finish. I have already had a publishing expierience, I co-authored at the age of ten, whereas I am currently twelve. My book should be coming out very shortly.

I am currently working on my own book, and would like some places such as e-magazines that were useful.

Thank you for your responces.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

where/how was your co-authored book published?... and how is it 'coming out'?... in book stores, or as an e-book, or what?

as for suggesting e-magazines, what would that have to do with getting a book published?

and what is your submission an 'adaptation' of?

6. Catmyname1

Catmyname1 New Member

Weeeell, let me see...

I don't know how it was produced, the other auther took care of that. I just helped financially with the production. It will be published in bookstores, possibly online. :)

I was asking for e-magazines out of curiousity, not in the book department.

My story is an adaptation of something in Chicken Soup for the Preteens Soul. If you'd like I can post it here ;)
    Of course it has the book name, actual title, and 1st authors name. I just.. tweaked it, and submited it to an e-magazine. Unfortunatley it is no-profit.

It's basically just a tester to see if I have what it takes to get in, or if I have to push myself further.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't ask for recommendations to particular publishers here, please. However, when you do have a publisher or agent you are considering, check in Preditors & Editors to discover whether it has been listed as a poor choice.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ok, so then it was self-published via a vanity press of some sort, with you two [or your parents] paying the tab...

well, they won't be 'useful' in re publishing a book... as for general info, you can get that by googling...

using someone else's copyrighted work without their permission is both immoral and illegal!... you'd better familiarize yourself with the copyright laws before you find yourself in more hot water than your parents can buy your way out of... go here and find out why you should not have done what you did: www.copyright.gov

test yourself with your own original ideas, honeybunch... not by infringing on the rights of others...

as for book and magazine publishers, you'll find them all here: www.duotrope.com