1. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

Linking chapters

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Flashfire07, May 15, 2011.

In the story I plan to write each chapter is its own self contained story, I'm trying to figure out how to link them back to the main story without it being clunky and feeling like I just stitched together a bunch of separate stories. How would I do this right?

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

That is an artistic question and therefore something that is very hard to help with. I've seen some people use, for example, an image or metaphor at the end of each scene. On the other hand it may be more practical and everything takes place in the same location, so you merely wrap up in a matter-of-fact way in a place the reader will recognise from an earlier story.

3. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Are the characters or locations the same? Does all the stories revolve around the same theme? I have several stories written like episodes of TV-shows. Every chapter has its own storyline about the same characters, but eventually it leads up to something bigger. It's hard to help you with the info we got, I'm afraid.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why don't you post the ending paragraph of one chapter and the beginning one that follows, so we can get some idea of what you mean?

5. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

My guess to put it off in actuality is far more difficult than it seems in theory,

6. mingsquared

mingsquared New Member

You might want to read some of George R. R. Martin's books. I think he links the otherwise separate chapters together very well.

7. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Agreed - is it like a sitcom-esque thing, where each episode presents a different situation with the same characters and world (more or less), or is it entirely different characters with different issues related only themeatic means? Or are they a bunch of initially unrelated stories that somehow link up together at the end?

I also have one story that follows the episode-esque format, somewhat. There is still the overarching character development - i.e., all of the "episodes" have my major characters develop somewhat towards the end - but otherwise the stories can somewhat stand on their own.