?

Do you think you would use this interview on your own characters?

1. Yes; it is comprehensive and would be useful to develop my characters

20.0%
  2. Yes; I haven't done something like this before but want to try it out

13.3%
  3. Yes; no reason, I just think it would be fun

26.7%
  4. Undecided; they are good questions, but too many

6.7%
  5. Undecided; it's a good interview but I don't usually do this type of exercise to develop characters

33.3%
  6. Undecided; I like the idea of interviewing characters but I don't like this particular interview

6.7%
  7. No; it's too long

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. No; it doesn't address relevant topics for my book

13.3%
  9. No; I don't see the value in interviewing my characters like this

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChaseTheSun

ChaseTheSun Senior Member

Character Development Interview

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by ChaseTheSun, Mar 13, 2017.

So, after a very interesting conversation with several forum members over here - https://www.writingforums.org/threads/would-you-be-willing-to-contribute-to-my-questionnaire.151218/

I've decided to put up a 68-question interview which I use to develop my characters and get to know them at a deeper level. Various members have volunteered to answer this questionnaire through private conversation to give me some diverse material to work with during my character development process. @Spencer1990 suggested I upload these questions in a public thread for anybody who is interested to participate. I believe this could be a valuable way of gaining insight into how other people (real and fiction!) think, behave, dream, worry and process their world. Our writing can only benefit as a result.

So, without further ado, here is the interview! Please jump in feet-first and join in the fun!

TELL ME WHO YOU ARE…

1. What is your name?

2. What is your role in this story:
    • protagonist
    • antagonist
    • lead support/mc
    • minor
    • other:
    3. Place and date of birth:

4. Siblings/other significant relatives:

5. Ethnic background:

6. Current place of residence:

7. General education and special training/jobs (if any):

8. Marriage – date and details:

LET’S GO DEEPER!

9. What values do you have at the beginning of the book, compared to the end of the book (what choice do you make at the climax)?

10. Did you have a happy childhood? Why or why not?

11. What past/present relationships do you have? How have they/do they affect/ed you?

12. What do you care about?

13. What are you obsessed with?

14. What is your biggest fear? Why?

15. What is the best thing that ever happened to you?

16. What is the worst thing that ever happened to you?

17. What is your biggest secret?

18. What is your idea of perfect happiness?

19. How would you describe yourself?

20. How would a friend or family member describe you?

21. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

22. What is the trait you most deplore in others?

23. What is your greatest extravagance?

24. What is your current state of mind?

25. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

26. On what occasion do you lie?

27. What do you dislike most about your appearance?

28. What is the quality you most like in a man?

29. What is the quality you most like in a woman?

30. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

31. What or who is the greatest love of your life?

32. When and where were you happiest?

33. Which talent would you most like to have?

34. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

35. What do you consider to be your greatest achievement?

36. What is your most treasured possession?

37. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

38. What is your favourite occupation/pastime?

39. What is your most marked characteristic?

40. What do you most value in your friends?

41. Who are your favourite writers?

42. Who is your hero of fiction?

43. Which historical figure do you most identify with?

44. Who are your heroes in real life?

45. What is your Enneagram type?

46. What are your unique Enneagram strengths and flaws?

47. What is it that you most dislike?

48. What is your greatest regret?

49. How would you like to die?

50. What is your motto/outlook on life?

51. Do you like yourself?

52. Do you like your life? What would you change if you could?

53. Are you lying about anything to yourself?

54. What do you look like?

55. What special marks/scars/physical quirks do you have that make you stand out?

56. What do people like best about you?

57. What do you do when you are sad?

58. What do you do when you are angry?

59. What do you do when you are happy?

60. What cheers you up?

61. What is your darkest memory?

62. What do you care about most in this world?

63. Do you have a secret?

64. What do you like best about the other main characters?

65. What do you lie least about the other main characters?

66. If you could do one thing and succeed, what would it be?

67. Why will the readers sympathise with you immediately and care about your journey?

68. Is there anything you’d like to add to this interview?

2. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

I don't think interviewing characters directly is a great idea all told, but if it's something that works for you I'm still not nuts about using these kind of questions to do it. I think you're focus is too much on vital stats and not on the core of the character. You're asking lots of things that can have all kinds of answers, some of which may be interesting, but they don't actually help you understand who the character is. To take an example:

For the girl from my first book there's lots of things that cheer her up. Her friends cheer her up, her boyfriend cheers her up, her mum cheers her up, getting the chance to see her dad cheers her up. So does take away and retail therapy and all kinds of normal teenage stuff. Basically, anything you can you imagine that would cheer up a teenage girl will cheer her up, because she is a teenage girl. But that doesn't really help writing her. You need to zero in on why these things work for her. In her case, as someone pretending to have cancer and feeling very certain that people only pay attention to her because they thinks she's dying, things that make her feel normal cheer her up, that let her just forget all those worries in the back of her head and feel content to be in her own skin. The chance to feel like a normal kid and go on a date or run off to see her dad cheers her up because they make her feel like this cancer stuff just doesn't matter and it's ok just to be her. That's the interesting character point, that's the thread that connects all the times she needs to feel better about herself through the book, but if you asked her early on she'd just say the one thing that'd cheer her up is seeing her dad and that'd take you in the wrong direction. She is a daddies girl and she does miss him and she has been miserable since her parents divorced. But all this dodges around the core of her problems which is she feels alienated and like no-one knows the real her and getting away from that and remembering that people do care about her just being herself will make her smile.

If you asked Beth these questions then she'd answer, in order: "Mum calling the police when Dad tried to talk to her and I realized he wasn't ever coming back.", "Last Christmas without Dad; when we couldn't afford presents and me and mum had to open cards to 'The Sutton Family'.", "When Mum asks if I miss Dad", "When I was little, with Mum and Dad", "Dad walking through the door and kissing Mum again", "Get Mum and Dad back together". Now, clearly this is a big deal to Beth, obviously. But we still don't know why. We haven't teased out anything that really tells us why, a year later, Beth continues to blame her Mum entirely and really isn't even slightly closer to getting over it. We need to ask why.

That's not something we can easily do with these kind of questions because we need to react to her answers as they appear. We need to ask her to tell us the story of her parents divorce, which was incredibly bitter and left her Mum working two jobs just trying to make ends meet. Telling us what happened from her perspective will start to show why she hasn't gotten over this yet, specifically because she and her Mum haven't talked about it at all since it happened. It's just been moldering for a year and part of Beth feel vindicated when she hears her Mum crying when she thinks Beth is asleep because Beth wants her to realize how much of a mistake it was. But because we're focused on asking about things and not about motivations we miss out on that side of it. We don't know to ask about this because, well, why would we? We didn't have her in mind when we were writing the questions, of course. But we need to ask this stuff to discover that, for example, Beth doesn't actually know the real story of what happened, still genuinely doesn't know why her Mum booted her Dad out.

That's why I don't like this approach. This kind of questionnaire can generate some potentially interesting things to look at, but some of them are going to be interesting and some of them aren't and most of the time you'll still be stuck coming up with the details on the fly anyway, which kinda goes against spending the time developing the character in this way. I think the focus needs to be on the core parts of the character, the source of their sadness, why these things carry the resonance that they do. That's the string you need to pull on, finding the threads that tie together the answers to these kind of questions without having to actually write five pages of backstory to explain each and every one.

I think that a more productive approach might be to re-think the way you formulate questions and approach it like you are a psychiatrist. Absolutely ask about all of these things, but with the aim to challenge and find contradictions and draw connections and parallels in a direct way. Instead of 'do you have secrets' and 'when do you lie' instead ask 'why do you keep secrets' and 'why do you lie'. It's more than just adding 'and why' to each question though. Because a lot of 'why' questions have kinda boring answers. You're looking to find a sensitive spot then focus in on it to find where the feeling connected to that comes from. In truth, you only need a couple of these subject areas just to kick you off and then just pick at the answers and find where it all comes from until you have a really clear idea of where that core sadness comes from. That takes dialogue, back and forth, pushing the characters buttons. How they feel about being asked the question will tell you as much as the actual answer.

Or, to put it somewhat more concisely, the good stuff will come from how the character reacts. Just getting down the stuff from the character is a start. But it's only when the character starts rubbing against other things that you start to see how it all fits together.

My advice? Write it like a therapy session, an actual dialogue with actual reactions. Write it as the character taking it seriously and being honest, but using their normal voice too and reacting how you feel they should. This kind of exercise is a good way to start picking up on that too, and having a character there through whom you can ask awkward questions I think will allow you to find the parts of the character that make a real difference to your work. Going from "Why are you sad?" to "But you have loads of friends, why do you feel lonely?" to "So why don't you tell them how you really feel?" to "Why do you think they wouldn't understand?" then off into "Why is this thing you keep secret even a big deal to you?" lets you zero in really closely on the stuff that really tells you who someone is.

3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I thought it'd be great inspiration for people to see other people's answers. I would never fill one of these out for my characters, but I damn sure will keep an eye on this thread and use the answers as plot and character fodder in the future.

ChaseTheSun likes this.
  4. ChaseTheSun

For anybody's interest, here is the interview completed by one of my MCs:

TELL ME WHO YOU ARE…

1. What is your name? Cecilia

• lead support/mc
    3. Place and date of birth: 18/07/1943, Tasmania

names redacted

5. Ethnic background: English/Scottish descent. 3rd generation Australian

6. Current place of residence: Parents home, Hobart, Tas

7. General education and special training/jobs (if any): Attended Fahan girls' college 1948 - 1961. Currently working as a secretary at Myles' company.

8. Marriage – date and details: Married Chance Kinney 1974

LET’S GO DEEPER!

9. What values do you have at the beginning of the book, compared to the end of the book (what choice do you make at the climax)?
    Beginning: I saw my daughter as an obstacle to the domestic life I longed for. Now I believe she was an angel sent to teach me about life and love that transcends social expectations and boundaries.

I was a free spirited child and my sole pursuit was happiness. I always saw Eleanor's strive for perfection and approval and it left her terminally disappointed. So I was determined to avoid that.

11. What past/present relationships do you have? How have they/do they affect/ed you?
    Matilda taught me more than anybody else put together. I regret that I lost many opportunities in my relationship with her because I was too selfish to be what she needed. I am learning to care about Eleanor more but our paths have been rocky for so long. Chance's love humbles me. I don't deserve another shot, not after Matilda.

I used to care about being free to create what I wanted of my own life. I think now I care more about doing good with what I already have. I'm not sure. I'm still figuring out what I care about.

Obsessed? Who can afford to be obsessed with anything, when everything in life is so fleeting?

My biggest fear came true a few years ago. I wonder if it happened purely because I was so afraid of it happening? I don't think I believe in malevolent fate, but some days ...

Chance Kinney.

Who can put these things in a hierarchy of bad, worse and worst? But if I must: what I had to do with Lucy, and what happened to Matilda ... they were the worst things.

I have a few.

Does perfect happiness exist? A summer evening spent at the beach with Chance and Matilda and a glass of wine might come close but that's never going to happen. I don't torment myself with thoughts about perfect happiness. Life is what it is.

Um. A work in progress, I think. I've come a long way... but still so many things to figure out.

Depends who you ask. If you gave them time to think about it, I'd like to think they might say "somebody with a lot of love to give and a desire to make the world a better place." Don't ask Eleanor. Ask Dad. He would give a fair answer.

Taking the easy way out instead of facing up to something that scares me.

A lack of knowing one's own mind. Being content to float through life without needing or wanting to change anything or help anyone.

I treat myself to the most expensive handbags I can afford. Carrying a stylish bag on my arm helps me feel like I'm in control.

Non-committal. I feel like I am on the cusp of a great new adventure but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to close the door on my last one.

Kindness. People let themselves and others get hurt and mistreated because they are too nice to speak up.

To avoid conflict or misunderstanding. Or to protect somebody. But I'm beginning to question if this is the best way to accomplish those things.

I'm plump. That shouldn't bother me, but it means some of today's fashions don't suit me at all. Ah, but a girl can dream:
    [​IMG]

Generosity. I've met enough self-centered a**holes to last me a life-time. A true man knows how to give.

Self-confidence. A woman should know who she is and wear her identity with pride and poise.

I could have answered that twenty different times over the last twenty years with twenty different answers.

Any time I was holding Matilda. And that first time she told me she loved me, over the dinner table, with a little bit of broccoli caught in her teeth.

I would love to be outrageously funny. Laughter heals the soul - what better gift could one give? Unfortunately I don't think I have a witty bone in my body. Doesn't stop me from trying, though!

I would take away my fear of failure so that I had the confidence to do what I should have done from the start. I could have avoided so much pain...

I don't know if I have reached that milestone. My greatest achievement is ahead of me yet.

The car I bought when I was 21, and still own. That car is the symbol of a great turning point in my life and identity. My '58 Holden FC. Turquoise and proud of it.

The lowest depth of misery is different for everyone. For me, it was losing Lucy before we had the chance to reconcile. But then, I shouldn't be so final about it. Maybe one day we will have that chance again. See? I'm learning to not close doors so quickly. That's progress.

Walking along the sand as the tide is coming in and the sun is going down and my shadow grows long.

My bubbly personality and carefree attitude (not that you'd know it from this interview, but if you want to ask serious questions ...)

Loyalty. Few will stand by your side no matter what. The few that do are to be cherished.

Nahaniel Hawthorne.

Samwise Gamgee. Now there's loyalty.

I don't.

Matilda. My dad.

All over the shop.

See question 45

I don't really dislike many things. Um. Probably being made to feel inferior or like I don't have something to offer. Everyone has something to offer.

That I didn't understand myself better, earlier. That I thought I was doing what I wanted, what made me happy. But really I was filling a gap with meaingless things, and avoiding acknowledging the gap even existed. But then there are so many beautiful memories that were created though this avoidance, that I wouldn't have otherwise. And to regret my immaturity would be to regret Lucy and Matilda. And I don't.

Quickly and unexpectedly. I don't want to know it's coming. I don't want to deal with the goodbyes.

Make the most of every moment and give yourself more credit.

I think I'm learning to like myself. I've had to learn to trust myself first...

I would change the fact that I didn't listen to the wisdom my parents tried to offer, and I made so many mistakes because I was too proud to ask for help. I don't like or dislike my life. I am at peace with my life.

I think if I admit to lying to myself I have to face something I don't want to face. So perhaps now isn't the time or place to answer that question.

I have walnut brown hair, blue eyes, I'm 160cm tall and weigh just under 70kg. I have pale, clear skin and look younger than my age, apart from th lines beside my eyes and across my brow.

55. What special marks/scars/physical quirks do you have that make you stand out?
    I'm pretty ordinary, really. Chance loves my eyes, though; says they're a more beautiful blue than the ocean mid-morning.

I'm honest. That's probably what people like the least about me as well! Haha. I'm always quick to laugh. Let's go with that.

I cry. A lot. And walk on the beach.

I yell. And I hit things. So far, no people, thankfully! But cushions and bed pillows, watch out.

I laugh. I like my laugh. It's very light. Chance tells me my eyes sparkle when I'm happy. Which is more and more often, these days.

60. What cheers you up?
    Ice cream and summertime thunderstorms.

Giving birth to (name redacted) and giving her away without even holding her.

Keeping my loved ones safe. And doing something that leaves this world a better place when I leave it.

I was in love with Myles for years. I never told Eleanor.

I love my Dad for his strength and his integrity. He's gone through so much hardship but he has only let it make him a better person.
    I don't have to be close to Eleanor to recognise that she loved (name redacted) like her own. Gave (child) everything and more than I could ever have done, or hoped she would. I love her for that.

65. What do you lie least about the other main characters?
    Eleanor never realised how good she had it. She took so much for granted - especially from Myles - and was selfish. Myles was a door mat. He deserved so much better from her.

Talk to Lucy one last time. Put things right with her. Tell her I love her. Explain why I did it.

67. Why will the readers sympathise with you immediately and care about your journey?
    They mightn't. But they will warm to me for my honesty - with them, with myself. They will know they can trust me to be real with them and this will make them care more about my journey.

You can ask as many questions as you like - of me, of my family, any of the other characters - but in the long run you are only going to get a very small window if insight into who we are and why/what/how we feel and behave. Please give me the chance to show myself in all my nuanced complexity throughout the book and don't limit me to the answers I've given you here.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    MusingWordsmith and ajaye like this.
  5. ChaseTheSun

Yes. I agree. But these are the sorts of things we explore in the story itself. The interview is only a springboard for ideas, a spotlight to shine on various areas of a character's life to gain a more holistic view of what they are doing and why.

When it comes down to the nitty-gritties, that's for the story to unpack. For example, Beth might say in the interview, I feel happy when Mum cries at night because she deserves to know what a mistake she has made. That's enough. For you as the writer, you have a heck of a lot of insight and background to be able to connect those dots without having Beth explicitly state them.

And when you do the interview with her mum and Beth's mum says, I don't know how to explain the reasons for the divorce to Beth. She hates me for what I did and I want her to understand but how do you explain these things to an eleven-year-old? At this point, you as a writer realise she is feeling overwhelmed, guilty, swamped and at her wit's end with nowhere to go. You then explore this further in the story.

The interview isn't the place for heavy-revvy personality analysis. It's merely a platform to give one-on-one time to your key characters to give them the opportunity to throw one-liners at you that have you going, "Oh crap! That makes sense, I hadn't realised that!!"

No, actually. I didn't make up anything on the fly. I was mesmerised by how real my characters became during the time I sat with them and conducted this interview. I didn't manipulate or force any answers. Each of their voices came through loud and clear and crystalised their identities and lives in my mind in a way that I couldn't have done if I were coming up with details on the fly.

Yeah... you open that can of worms in the interview and then you explore the backstory of it within the story itself. It's impossible to get a full and complete answer just from one character. They don't always know everything about themselves, they have incomplete worldviews just like real people do; they have subconscious attitudes and inexplicable tics that they may not even recognise until another character highlights it. So that's what happens in the narrative. In conversation, when one character challenges another, and they have a face-off where through the dialogue and narration, the reader gains insight into the nuances and depths of those characters' motivations.

Well that just comes down to semantics in language. To my mind, the way you've rephrased the questions doesn't change the question.

I appreciate that this is the way you (and probably plenty of others) would pursue a get-to-know-you session with your character. And I do see the value in doing it that way as well. But I don't think it's fair to say that is a better way. It's just a different way. To my mind, those things - exploring the character's reactions, body langauge etc - are things you do throughout the story itself. Why would I waste time in a psychiatrist's office with my character if I can just throw them into the real world and record the way they respond?

So, just some extra thoughts:

1) The interview isn't for the sake of your readers. It's for the writer to get to know the character better. When I was sitting with Cecilia asking her these questions, she really took me by surprise quite a few times. Her answer to #10 was like an "oooooooh," moment for me because it informed some behaviours I already knew she was exhibiting but hadn't considered the motivation for them. I didn't need to push her for further details because I have the inside knowledge into her behaviour and motivations already. I created her. If the interview process was for the readers' sake, then, yeah ... most of these answers wouldn't mean anything because they don't have any specific details. But there's plenty going on in these answers that is unwritten that I know because I'm the writer and I'm the only one who needs to know.

2) Your response, in its finality, assumes that you are right and that there is only one right answer. I'm not convinced that's the case, to be honest. Writing and creativity is too individual to artists to be put into a box of better and worse approaches.

3) I wrote this interview with my own book in mind. And so it quite likely has a thematic bent or bias that won't be relevant to everybody's stories. Probably someone writing a sci-fi or fantasy book would struggle to complete it, because the concepts and ideas are grounded fairly solidly in real-time Earth reality.

Thanks for your thoughts. It's always good to be challenged! I've certainly been put through my paces, and have had to reconsider whether I think this interview holds up under the scrutiny, and why and how. I believe that for my purposes, it does. And if it serves any other artist's purpose, to any extent, then it's done its job. :)

Simpson17866 likes this.
  6. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

You sent me twelve questions, here are the responses: -

Talisker (male, 30’s)- 4th wall breaking necessary for some of these questions.

1. General education and special training/jobs (if any):

“I went to school and learned the 3 R’s and some limited academia. Everything else I learned on the job, construction, agriculture, weapons, computers, first aid- you could say I’m a Jack of all trades.”

2. What values do you have at the beginning of the book, compared to the end of the book (what choice do you make at the climax)?

“In real life, these seismic shifts in personality rarely happen, they are a literary device used to create an arc. I will learn things and I will evolve to suit my environment, but will I come out a changed man? No, I’ll still be Talisker. What choices do I make? I hope, the sensible ones. Poor choices are likely to result in a short book.”

3. Did you have a happy childhood? Why or why not?

“My childhood was hard work, but I was treated as well as I could be, circumstances permitting. I had good friends, I had a good education, I was fed and clothed and protected. I reached early adulthood adequately prepared.”

4. What past/present relationships do you have? How have they/do they affect/ed you?

“I’ve never settled down and I’ve never wanted to bring children into this world. I have people I rely on to a certain extent. I have friends and close friends, if you know what I mean. I would do whatever I could to help and protect these people, and they would do the same for me, you see, at our most basic we are pack animals and we are stronger together. We all understand that. It just helps that we also get along. How have they affected me? I’d be dead without them.”

5. What do you care about?

“Sometimes I wonder if it is all just survival instinct, some primordial hard-coding that compels us to exist despite our circumstances and surroundings. It sometimes seems that survival for survival’s sake is the raison d’etre. I care about things, I care about friends and I care about our survival. I also care about why I’m here, and I don’t mean that in the existential sense, I literally want to know why I am here.”

6. What is your idea of perfect happiness?

“A cabin on a lakeside, a wife and two children who want for nothing.”

7. On what occasion do you lie?

“On many occasions. A lie is often easier and quicker than the truth. Lies are given a bad rep, they are entirely necessary.”

8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

“I don’t find it particularly virtuous to sit in judgement of others and dictate what is and is not “good” behaviour. Have you noticed that the people who do are always in a position of privilege? It is very easy to condemn behaviour when you don’t need to resort to it. It is also very easy to espouse your own behaviour as virtuous when you want for nothing. Every virtue and every sin have their time and place, and each of them can be misused. I can’t pick one.”

9. What is the quality you most like in a man?

“Competence.”

10. What is the quality you most like in a woman?

“Competence.”

11. Why will the readers sympathise with you immediately and care about your journey?

“I’m an everyman trying to survive. I am not “good”, and neither am I “bad”, I just do what I need to to get by. I’m not stupid enough to be a hero and I have too much empathy to be a villain. I am unremarkable, and so, I imagine, is the reader. But the difference is that I am thrown into a remarkable situation.”

12. What is your Enneagram type? (optional extension: How do you see your Enn type working for and against you?)

“I don’t know and don’t care. We’ve got better things to do than categorise things that don’t need categorising.”

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  7. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

Ok then, let's get this started. I'm gonna answer this as one of my main characters from my WIP. Please note that I may have to skip some of the questions as they may reveal too much about my character, more than I'm comfortable to share in a public forum. But I'll be happy to answer those particular questions in a DM if you want.

1. Alex
    2. protagonist
    3. Madrid, late 17th century
    4. One younger sister; the person I care about the most in this world and a constant pain in my ass.
    5. Caucasian. Or at least I was back when I was still a human.
    6. United States of America. Mostly, for the time being. I tend to move around A LOT.
    7. Too many to list here. You get to have a lot of free time on your hand when you're immortal. Perfect for learning new things and skills, and I've put my time to good use.
    8. Are you kidding me? marriage?!
    Determined, driven, trying to protect people the best I can. This latest 'case', got...personal, went places I didn't anticipate. Someone from my past is involve in this thing, which makes thing that much more complicated and a million times more dangerous. We had to makes lots of choice, decision that my sister and I weren't really comfortable with, still aren't. Naturally these decisions ended with a whole lot of dead bodies in our wake. And this is only the beginning.
    10. I did have a happy childhood actually. I miss it sometimes, back when things were normal, simple. Before...ah, before everything went to shit.
    11. I'v had very few meaningful, long-term relationships. Most of my relationship are casual at best. It's easier that way.
    12. Lots of things.
    13. SKIPPED
    14. Becoming a monster again. Cuz I have the potential, I know it.
    15. Becoming a vampire
    16. Everything that preceded me becoming a vampire.
    17. Ha! Wouldn't you like to know?
    18. Me, my sister, an endless supply of blood, along with people I care about, having fun, making some trouble, hunting down monster, saving people. Which is close to the life I lead now, actually.
    19. Handsome. Dangerous. Smart. Trustworthy and dependable to friends, and an absolute nightmare for enemies.
    20. If you ask my sister, she'll tell you I'm an asshole and an idiot, if she's in a bad mood. If she's in a good mood, she'll smile sweetly and say I'm an idiot. Either way she loves me.
    21. Ah...nothing really.
    22. Cowardice, selfishness, having no regards for other's life.
    23. SKIPPED
    24. I'm happy actually and really really excited for what's about to come, even though there are certain parts about it which I dread.
    25. Modesty.
    26. When needed.
    27. Nothing really.
    28. SKIPPED
    29. SKIPPED
    30. This is not something I really pay attention to.
    31. Haven't met her yet.
    32. I'm pretty happy now. But 'happiest'? I...don't know, hard to say If I'm happier now or before I became a vamp.
    33. It would be be able to play an instrument or two. I've always loved music. Huh, maybe I'll get around to it once this whole situation is dealt with.
    34. Skipped
    35. Skipped
    36. There a few actually, mostly things I've managed to keep from my human life.
    37. Existing as a mere monster and enjoying it.
    38. Reading, Listening to music, hiking, whatever else I feel like doing in the moment.
    39. Ah...I guess, I'm loyal?
    40. Trust
    41. John Saul, Ursula Le Guin, J.R.R Tolkien.
    42. Ah...Rocky Balboa.
    43. No one.
    44. Don't have one, don't need one.
    45. Dunno, don't care. Sorry
    46. Same as above.
    47. Monsters
    48. SKIPPED
    49. Why the hell would I want to die?
    50. Be determined and never give up.
    51. Yup
    52. Yup
    53. Ooh Yeah
    54. Average height, long dark hair, dark eyes, defined cheekbones.
    55. I've got fangs, they're scary.
    56. My honesty, when I choose to be honest that is. Mostly, it's the fact that I genuinely care. I'm a pretty cool guy actually, when you get to know me.
    57. Drink Blood. Listen to music.
    58. Drink blood. Go out and beat the shit out of a few people who deserve it. Punch walls.
    59. Drink Blood and do whatever feels good.
    60. Lots of things.
    61. The day I've became a vampire.
    62. If by what you mean who, then my sister of course. But if you do mean 'what', then doing right by this world, deliver justice the best way I can.
    63. Yes, and you don't get to hear it.
    64. Skipped.
    65. Skipped.
    66. Kill the person you made me a vampire.
    67. I care about people, trying to do the right thing, despite everything, despite the darkness within me, I do my best to remain good, to do good.
    68. Do you mind if I drink you? You'll live don't worry.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  8. ChaseTheSun

I love how everybody's characters have such a strong voice of their own. Thanks for participating, folks! This is fun :)

Fernando.C likes this.
  9. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

TELL ME WHO YOU ARE…

1. What is your name? Fredrick.

2. What is your role in this story: I’m the guy in charge. (MC)

3. Place and date of birth: A little farm on the outside of a small town.

4. Siblings/other significant relatives: I’ve got an older brother who was murdered by the government, an older sister and two younger ones. My ma’s still alive, but my dad died a while back.

5. Ethnic background: Descended from this region’s natives.

6. Current place of residence: Small boardinghouse. About to travel out of country

7. General education and special training/jobs (if any): Been to school some, can read and write, do figures, the like. Worked my parent’s farm till I joined the rebellion. Fought with them till my injury. Now I don’t know what I do.

8. Marriage – date and details: Not married.

LET’S GO DEEPER!

9. What values do you have at the beginning of the book, compared to the end of the book (what choice do you make at the climax)? Haven’t got that far.

10. Did you have a happy childhood? Why or why not? My parents did the best they could, but the government messed things up. My fifteen year old brother was executed for treason in front of me. But other than the constant fear and oppression, I guess it was okay.

11. What past/present relationships do you have? How have they/do they affect/ed you? I almost got married once, but I chose fighting over her. Still don’t regret it.

12. What do you care about? A lot of things. My country’s well-being, my family being able to make an honest living, my brother-in-arms surviving and winning the war. Being able to move without being in pain would be nice.

13. What are you obsessed with? I want to see this system go down.

14. What is your biggest fear? Why? . . . I’m afraid my back will get worse and I won’t be able to do anything.

15. What is the best thing that ever happened to you? Hm, I’ve had a lot of good things happen to me, but I can’t think of one that I’d call the ‘best’.

16. What is the worst thing that ever happened to you? My back injury.

17. What is your biggest secret? Like I’d tell it to a stranger.

18. What is your idea of perfect happiness? Fair government, maybe run a farm or a business, have a good wife, not being in constant pain.

19. How would you describe yourself? A patriot.

20. How would a friend or family member describe you? They say I'm loony.

21. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Weakness.

22. What is the trait you most deplore in others? Same.

23. What is your greatest extravagance? I don’t do extravagance.

24. What is your current state of mind? Currently, I’m wondering if these questions are really worth it.

25. What do you consider the most overrated virtue? Kindness. Lots of people use it as an excuse not to stand up for themselves.

26. On what occasion do you lie? When it’s necessary.

27. What do you dislike most about your appearance? I look like a kid if I don’t grow a beard.

28. What is the quality you most like in a man? Strength.

29. What is the quality you most like in a woman? I like women that are real ladies and mothers. That support their husbands and aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty, but don’t insist on doing it all themselves.

30. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? I don’t overuse phrases. If I say it, I mean it.

31. What or who is the greatest love of your life? Betsy Gilbert. She was a real lady. But I chose to fight over marrying her. Hope she’s happy with whoever she settled with.

32. When and where were you happiest? Heh, most people might think it’s something like ‘fighting for my country’. I was doing what I needed to then. Courting Betsy, that was what I wanted to do.

33. Which talent would you most like to have? I guess it would be nice to have a way with words, like some of those storytellers.

34. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I’d fix my back.

35. What do you consider to be your greatest achievement? I killed an enemy general once. Put on an enemy uniform, waltzed right into their camp and up into the guy’s tent and ran him right through.

36. What is your most treasured possession? The pocketknife my brother gave me.

37. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Being unable to fight for the cause you believe in.

38. What is your favorite occupation/pastime? I like to whittle. Maybe carve a little figure. I'm not that good, but it's something to pass the time.

39. What is your most marked characteristic? Heh, lately it's been my surliness.

40. What do you most value in your friends? Loyalty.

41. Who are your favorite writers? Not much for reading. Liked how my grandma would tell stories though.

42. Who is your hero of fiction? I liked the tricksters from my grandma’s tales. Especially the one that tricked the evil king into giving him the kingdom.

43. Which historical figure do you most identify with? The rebels.

44. Who are your heroes in real life? (Name redacted). He leads the rebellion.

45. What is your Enneagram type? Challenger.

46. What are your unique Enneagram strengths and flaws? SKIPPED

47. What is it that you most dislike? The government.

48. What is your greatest regret? Getting injured.

49. How would you like to die? Fighting for the cause.

50. What is your motto/outlook on life? If I die without making a difference, then my life was worthless.

51. Do you like yourself? I wish I could keep from being so snappish lately, but other than that, yeah.

52. Do you like your life? What would you change if you could? I used to. If I could, I’d fix it so I could go back to fighting.

53. Are you lying about anything to yourself? I don’t think so.

54. What do you look like? I’m on the tall side, broad shouldered. Swarthy complexion and dark hair, blue eyes. Need to get a hair cut and trim my beard.

55. What special marks/scars/physical quirks do you have that make you stand out? I’ve got some battle scars, but other than that nothing real special.

56. What do people like best about you? I guess that would depend on the person.

57. What do you do when you are sad? Go take some time alone till I feel better.

58. What do you do when you are angry? Do my best to fix the situation I’m angry about.

59. What do you do when you are happy? Smile, laugh, have fun, that sort of thing.

60. What cheers you up? Seeing things change for the better.

61. What is your darkest memory? I was part of a unit sent to rescue prisoners one time. The things I saw in that dungeon. . . Gave me nightmares for a while.

62. What do you care about most in this world? Seeing my country become a good place to live.

63. Do you have a secret? Well I guess now the fact that I fought in the rebellion should be kept quiet.

64. What do you like best about the other main characters? The kids? Haven’t really gotten to know them yet. Sharon’s pretty quiet at least, and Jason can be funny

65. What do you like least about the other main characters? Sharon’s got a nasty attitude sometimes. Jason doesn’t know how to shut up.

66. If you could do one thing and succeed, what would it be? Change my country.

67. Why will the readers sympathize with you immediately and care about your journey? I’m just a guy trying to make the best of a bad situation and help a couple kids out while I’m at it.

68. Is there anything you’d like to add to this interview? Nah, I’m good.

TELL ME WHO YOU ARE…

1. What is your name? I’m Jason! Jason the jester’s son!

2. What is your role in this story: Oh, um, I think I’m one of the important ones. (MC)

3. Place and date of birth: I’m not actually sure, my dad didn’t like talking about his past. I think he was in some trouble though.

4. Siblings/other significant relatives: Oh, I don’t have any blood family any more. It was just me and my dad, but then he died.

5. Ethnic background: I think my dad was (French stand-in). That’s what he’d talk in when it was just us anyway. I dunno about my mom, that was another thing my dad didn’t like talking about.

6. Current place of residence: No where really, we’re fixing to join in with a bunch of people and leave the country.

7. General education and special training/jobs (if any): Oh! My dad was a jester and he taught me everything he knew! I’m really good at acrobatics- or I was until this stupid growth spurt. Um, other than that, not much. Can’t even read!

8. Marriage – date and details: (Jason turns red and makes spluttering noises.)

LET’S GO DEEPER!

9. What values do you have at the beginning of the book, compared to the end of the book (what choice do you make at the climax)? Um, I haven’t gotten that far yet. We haven’t even left the town yet!

10. Did you have a happy childhood? Why or why not? Oh it was a lot of fun before Dad died! We’d travel around, put on shows, I would try and keep Dad from getting into trouble, that sort of thing! After he died. . . It was pretty miserable, and let’s leave it at that. Fortunately, I’ve still got some years left to turn that around!

11. What past/present relationships do you have? How have they/do they affect/ed you? Well, we traveled around too much for me to make any real friends or- wait, are you talking about romantic relationships? (Turns red again). Um, well, I’m currently just a few days into my first. Her name is Sharon, we’ve been good friends for a while. She’s kinda mean, but I don’t mind. She’s hurting a lot, cause of how she was brought up.

12. What do you care about? Sharon’s happiness!

13. What are you obsessed with? Um, well, I wouldn’t say obsessed per say, but Sharon is really important to me.

14. What is your biggest fear? Why? I- I don’t want to talk about this. Can we skip this? I don’t wanna talk about it, otherwise I’ll have nightmares of him running Sharon through, just like he did my dad and then turning to me and- and-

15. What is the best thing that ever happened to you? Well. . . I guess maybe when Fredrick came by and rescued me and Sharon.

16. What is the worst thing that ever happened to you? Watching my dad get murdered and getting kidnapped by the murderer. Happy now?

17. What is your biggest secret? Seriously?! Do you have to keep pushing buttons?! Fine! Sometimes I wish I’d been killed with my dad! Now are you happy?!

18. What is your idea of perfect happiness? What- huh- um- what? Um, I guess me and Sharon being somewhere safe. It’d be nice if my dad could be there too. . . And maybe Fredrick as well, I guess.

19. How would you describe yourself? A tribute to my father’s legacy!

20. How would a friend or family member describe you? Um, my dad would flip between ‘that’s my boy!’ and ‘I could not have fathered this maniac’. Sharon just says I’m stupid and crazy, but I know she means well!

21. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Urgh, again with these questions? I don’t like these types of questions. Please don’t ask me them any more.

22. What is the trait you most deplore in others? Cruelty.

23. What is your greatest extravagance? My personality!

24. What is your current state of mind? Happy with a side of still-slightly-mad-about-the-prying.

25. What do you consider the most overrated virtue? I don’t think it’s any of my business to tell people what they should or shouldn’t do. . . But telling the truth doesn’t always help matters. Sometimes it’s better for everyone if you just bury the truth and forget about it.

26. On what occasion do you lie? There’s nothing wrong with little white lies. Keeps everyone happy and not worried.

27. What do you dislike most about your appearance? I’m worried I’m gonna get too tall to be a good acrobat. Why can’t I stay short, like my dad?!

28. What is the quality you most like in a man? Um, I dunno. I guess being a good audience?

29. What is the quality you most like in a woman? Same as- wait, are you asking romantically?! No no no I’m not answering that. Nope. No more romance questions. I’ve only had a single girlfriend for a few days!

30. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? Excuse me, I do not overuse my words! If I repeat myself it is to get someone to laugh at my silliness.

31. What or who is the greatest love of your life? (Turns red) Ithinkyouknownextquestionplease.

32. When and where were you happiest? Before my dad died, any time he wasn’t in one of his ‘moods’. Especially when we were performing together!

33. Which talent would you most like to have? I do wish I was a better singer.

34. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I’d make what everyone sees be the truth.

35. What do you consider to be your greatest achievement? When I got Sharon to laugh. A real, full, unrestrained laugh.

36. What is your most treasured possession? I don’t really have ‘things’. After my dad died, he sold everything except the clothes on my back. Sharon did give me a rock she’d painted a bit for my birthday once though, so I guess that would be it.

37. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Experienced it, don’t want to relive it, next question please.

38. What is your favourite occupation/pastime? Performing of course! What else could it be?

39. What is your most marked characteristic? My wonderful sense of humor!

40. What do you most value in your friends? Oh, um, I don’t know. Friendliness?

41. Who are your favourite writers? I can’t read.

42. Who is your hero of fiction? Um, well, I do like the heroes types in the stories my father would tell. Brave and bold, saving kingdoms and princesses and all that.

43. Which historical figure do you most identify with? I’m not that good with history. . .

44. Who are your heroes in real life? My dad!

45. What is your Enneagram type? I guess I would be a peacemaker.

47. What is it that you most dislike? Dislike of what? You’ll have to be a bit more specific.

48. What is your greatest regret? Not pushing a little harder about my- our past. I’d like to have the chance to meet my mother.

49. How would you like to die? . . . Don’t ask me this. Please.

50. What is your motto/outlook on life? Better to laugh than to cry!

51. Do you like yourself? I- ah- of course? Why wouldn’t I?

52. Do you like your life? What would you change if you could? Well, I’ve gotten into a new situation lately so I don’t know yet. If I could change anything. . . I’d have my dad be here with me.

53. Are you lying about anything to yourself? I see it this way, if you keep telling yourself something, then maybe eventually it’ll actually come true.

54. What do you look like? Oh, I’m a somewhat scrawny and short teenager. I’ve got messy blonde hair, bright blue eyes, and a big smile.

55. What special marks/scars/physical quirks do you have that make you stand out? Well, nothing really noticeable when I’ve got my shirt on.

56. What do people like best about you? My charming personality!

57. What do you do when you are sad? Please, I’m never sad!

58. What do you do when you are angry? Don’t get angry that much either.

59. What do you do when you are happy? Try to share it with the world!

60. What cheers you up? I cheer myself up!

61. What is your darkest memory? I believe we’ve already covered this.

62. What do you care about most in this world? (Turns red) Sharon.

63. Do you have a secret? What? No! I’m an open book!

64. What do you like best about the other main characters? Sharon is- is- well, she’s my friend. And Fredrick rescued us, so I guess that’s something.

65. What do you like least about the other main characters? Fredrick is kinda rude and grumpy. And Sharon. . . well, it’s a good thing I’ve got such a thick skin, otherwise it might not be very pretty!

66. If you could do one thing and succeed, what would it be? Make Sharon happy.

67. Why will the readers sympathize with you immediately and care about your journey? I don’t really know, I suppose that’s something they’d have to answer.

68. Is there anything you’d like to add to this interview? That I’m glad it’s over!

TELL ME WHO YOU ARE…

1. What is your name? Sharon.

2. What is your role in this story: I’m the jerk who makes everyone miserable. (MC)

3. Place and date of birth: I have no idea.

4. Siblings/other significant relatives: Same as above.

5. Ethnic background: (Africa stand-in).

6. Current place of residence: Traveling.

7. General education and special training/jobs (if any): No education. Know how to take care of a house, the jerk who owns it, and an idiot that likes to hurt himself.

8. Marriage – date and details: Hah, as if.

LET’S GO DEEPER!

9. What values do you have at the beginning of the book, compared to the end of the book (what choice do you make at the climax)? Haven’t got that far yet.

10. Did you have a happy childhood? Why or why not? I dunno, do you call being ‘raised’ by a guy who likes to rub it in your face what a hideous freak you are, makes you do all the work around the place, beats you when you upset him a happy childhood?

11. What past/present relationships do you have? How have they/do they affect/ed you? Jason’s the only person that I’ve been around enough to form any kind of relationship with. He’s. . . Well, he showed me there was such a thing as ‘kindness’. It’s- nice, to have someone to talk to sometimes.

12. What do you care about? . . . Jason.

13. What are you obsessed with? I’d really like to see him dead.

14. What is your biggest fear? Why? Going back to him, and him deciding my face isn’t a good enough reason not to . . . touch me anymore.

15. What is the best thing that ever happened to you? Jason deciding to be my friend.

16. What is the worst thing that ever happened to you? When he got his dirty grimy mitts on me.

17. What is your biggest secret? Like I’d tell you?

18. What is your idea of perfect happiness? I don’t think that’s possible for me.

19. How would you describe yourself? Hideous.

20. How would a friend or family member describe you? Jason says I’m beautiful. He’s lying, but it does make me feel better. Also says I’m ‘sarcastic’ and ‘rude’. I don’t care.

21. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Can’t pick just one.

22. What is the trait you most deplore in others? Hate.

23. What is your greatest extravagance? Letting Jason be my friend.

24. What is your current state of mind? Can’t you tell? I’m angry. I’m always angry.

25. What do you consider the most overrated virtue? A good sense of humor. Sometimes I just wanna smack that grin off Jason’s face and tell him to take things seriously for once. He got really down the one time I did do it though, so I try not to be so direct now.

26. On what occasion do you lie? Lying’s dangerous, I try not to unless I know I won’t get caught in it.

27. What do you dislike most about your appearance? My face.

28. What is the quality you most like in a man? Someone who will always come back, no matter what.

29. What is the quality you most like in a woman? I guess kindness.

30. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? I’d say stuff like ‘shut up Jason’, or ‘don’t be an idiot Jason’, but he needs to hear it a lot.

31. What or who is the greatest love of your life? Look, Jason’s really important to me but not- not like that okay? He’s- he’s my best friend. My only friend. I’m terrible to him and he just accepts it and moves on. The only reason I agreed to date him is because I was scared I’d lose him if I said no. Don’t tell him.

32. When and where were you happiest? That short time after we escaped and before Jason asked to be my boyfriend.

33. Which talent would you most like to have? Jason looks so happy sometimes while he’s doing his acrobatics. He’s tried to teach me, but I’m not that good. So, I guess I’d pick that.

34. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I’ve got a list and you expect me to stick with just one thing? Fine. I’d- I’d make myself love Jason back.

35. What do you consider to be your greatest achievement? Like I’ve actually achieved anything.

36. What is your most treasured possession? Can’t get attached to things. They'll be taken away. But memories, experiences, those are safe in my head.

37. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Lived it, thanks.

38. What is your favorite occupation/pastime? I like stargazing. The stars don’t care what or who you are. They’re just there for everyone. They’re just so pretty, hanging up in the sky. Or 0nce we finished our chores, Jason always had some sort of idea on something we could do. I just had to make sure we wouldn’t get in trouble from it.

39. What is your most marked characteristic? My bitter, angry disposition.

40. What do you most value in your friends? Didn’t I already answer this? Always coming back.

41. Who are your favourite writers? Can’t read.

42. Who is your hero of fiction? How am I supposed to know? Jason doesn’t know how to tell a story that makes any sense. The idiot.

43. Which historical figure do you most identify with? No schooling, remember?

44. Who are your heroes in real life? . . . I like how Jason can keep from hurting people, even after he’s been hurt.

45. What is your Enneagram type? I guess I’d be type six, the Loyalist.

47. What is it that you most dislike? Myself.

48. What is your greatest regret? I can’t seem to stop hurting Jason.

49. How would you like to die? I- I can’t think about that.

50. What is your motto/outlook on life? That it sucks?

51. Do you like yourself? Already answered this. Again, I don’t.

52. Do you like your life? What would you change if you could? Even if I’ve gotten away from that jerk, I’m still me. Still just gonna mess it up. If I could change anything, I’d change myself.

53. Are you lying about anything to yourself? Nah, I know what I am, an angry, selfish jerk.

54. What do you look like? Ugly.

55. What special marks/scars/physical quirks do you have that make you stand out? Oh for- look, my face is messed up okay? It’s messed up and hideous and it makes me look like a monster.

56. What do people like best about you? I dunno.

57. What do you do when you are sad? Get angry.

58. What do you do when you are angry? Take it out on Jason.

59. What do you do when you are happy? I’m not happy all that often. But when I am. . . I guess I smile, laugh maybe, enjoy it while it lasts.

60. What cheers you up? . . . Jason.

61. What is your darkest memory? . . . A year or so before he drug Jason home, he, he got drunk and- and started- feeling me up. I- I was so scared. Th-then, h-he said my face- my face made me ‘not worth it’ an-and staggered off.

62. What do you care about most in this world? Jason.

63. Do you have a secret? Like I said, like I would tell you?

64. What do you like best about the other main characters? Jason’s just- Jason. He does a lot for me. Fredrick. . . He’s a jerk. But he seems to mean well. I don’t trust him yet, but he hasn’t done anything but be a grump so far.

65. What do you like least about the other main characters? Jason’s inability to take anything seriously. Fredrick’s attitude.

66. If you could do one thing and succeed, what would it be? Become a person I would like.

67. Why will the readers sympathize with you immediately and care about your journey? Sympathize? With me? Ha, as if.

68. Is there anything you’d like to add to this interview? No.

ChaseTheSun likes this.
  10. making tracks

making tracks Active Member

1. What is your name?
    Kezzie
    Protagonist. I like to think, anyway.
    3. Place and date of birth:
    London, 2020s
    Older brothers and two great parents
    5. Ethnic background:
    Caucasian
    6. Current place of residence:
    Still here in London
    7. General education and special training/jobs (if any):
    State school.
    8. Marriage – date and details:
    None!
    LET’S GO DEEPER!

I've grown up a bit. Idealism is all well and good but to really make a difference you need a bit of realism, you know? Plus I actually get out there and stop moping. I make myself get out of my comfort zone but it is the right thing for me.
    Very happy family life, those guys are just brilliant. Always there for me, always supprtive. Friends on the other hand... well it culd be lonely sometimes.
    Hmm, I mean my family are still the constant I have. I have some friends but I wouldn't count on them to always be there.
    Well with the way the world is going at the moment, trying to help undo all the ways it's got so messed up. There are so many people starving, homeless, dying of easily treatable diseases. For real, it's messed up.
    Reading! Can't do enough of it.
    That I've missed something. That I will never do the things I want to.
    I think it's the background things. Knowing I was going to have good holidays, good birthdays. Knowing I am safe.
    One particularly vicous attack by one of the people closest to me. She knew me, she knew how to hurt me.
    Haha, my life isn't interesting enough to have a big secret! I once ate a family size bag of crisps in one sitting?...
    I'm not sure. Everyone seems to have a grass is greener complex so I guess it would be being able to be happy with what you've got?
    Naive. I've been lucky and I know that. But that can work in my favour, it means I'm optimistic so I haven't given up yet like so many others have.
    I'm not sure. Really.
    Being quiet. Like, always in the background quiet.
    Arrogance
    Getting to live so comfrotably. Seriously, people are dying out there. I should be doing more.
    Er.. confused. I feel conflicted a lot. I want to be out in the world, helping, but I've never had a rough life. I'm not sure really how I'll deal with it. But it's important to me so I've got to try, right?
    Probably honesty. Sometimes when you say you're being honest you're just being cruel. I mean, people shouldn't lie all the time but there's no need to constantly criticise in the name of honesty, or to assuage your own guilt.
    Haha, sometimes to be nice, sometimes just to get out of trouble.
    My ears stick out.
    Charisma
    Charisma
    Like. Stop me saying it, please!
    I'll find out one day. Got a lot of my life left I hope!
    In summer, sitting in a tree on holiday. Everything was easy when I was little.
    Being able to sing. Wherever you are, you can just do it. And it's so beautiful!
    I want to be braver.
    Getting a job. It's not easy these days.
    An antique necklace. It's not an heirloom but I love to imagine its story.
    It's not something I've had to experience. I don't think it would be fair to assume. But judging by some of the people I've seen, watching the lowest depth of misery happen to someone you love has got to be a contender.
    Reading! Takes you away from all the real problems. Plus the characters encourage me. They get me to get out there.
    I laugh a lot. Even when there's nothing funny. It's usually because I can't think of anything to say.
    Just a bit of give and take. I want to know you care about me.
    Tough one! I'll get back to you on that one.
    I always did like Robin Hood.
    Well historical figures have done something to wind up in the history books. It'll be a while until I'm there!
    All those activists who keep marching. They're putting their lives at risk and they keep going out anyway. We need people like them.
    I'll look that up someday....
    When people are cruel just because they can be. You're powerful, so what? Don't be a jerk about it.
    Luckily, something fixable! I didn't used to stand up to bullies. Now, the bullies take a very different form - they run the country and the streets - but I'm fed up enough and strong enough that I won't take it lying down any more.
    Old, warm, asleep in my bed. Isn't that most people?
    I dunno. It's your life, do what you want with it.
    Some days.
    I just need that little bit more gumption. I'm getting there!
    Probably, but I haven't had that epiphany yet.

Optimism
    Music. A dark room and music.
    Pretty much the same as when I'm sad, but sometimes with running.
    I like to be around people when I'm happy.
    60. What cheers you up?
    Looking up good news stories. There aren't many of them these days.
    Look around, the stuff going on everyday on the streets gets pretty dark.
    I'm still figuring that out myself.
    I think you already asked me that?...
    They have gumption. I respect them. Mostly.
    65. What do you like least about the other main characters?
    I hate the way they twist the things they do to try and manipulate us into thinking they're helping. We can see through it, just be honest about being a selfish jerk.
    Hmm. Good question. Can just one thing help that much? I don't know. Find a way to protect the revolutionaries maybe?
    Because I'm not the only person like me. Normal girl, just trying to figure out a way to really make a difference and feel really alive. And I'm going to do it, you know. It's not like in the books, there's no secret magic I'm carrying, a mysterious figure isn't going to sweep me off my feet into an adventure. I'm going to do that for myself. We all want that, don't we?
    Think you have it covered.