1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

The power of love

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jazzabel, Aug 1, 2013.

Marina Abramović, a world renowned performance artist, once walked 2500 km, just to say goodby to her partner Ulay in the middle of Great Wall of China. Next time she saw him was years later, when she was performing an installation called "The Artist Is Present".

What follows is one of the most tender moments ever captured on camera. I hope you enjoy :)

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Not sure what was the idea of the installation, but the emotions on her and the man's faces were so beautiful. I can only imagine how they felt (I think the longest I've been apart from my husband is something like 3 days...).

Thanks for sharing :)

3. jazzabel

[MENTION=53403]KaTrian[/MENTION]: I'm glad you liked it! This particular piece is about face-to-face engagement and dissolution of barriers between an artist and her audience. One review described it as

This bit with her ex makes me cry every time. And think how grateful I am to have my love :)

4. MsScribble

MsScribble Member

I'm not crying! Shuddup!

5. Orihalcon

Orihalcon Senior Member

Wow. That was powerful.

Thank you for sharing this.

6. jazzabel

@<a href="https://www.writingforums.org/member.php?u=36654" target="_blank">MsScribble</a> :D
    @<a href="https://www.writingforums.org/member.php?u=55406" target="_blank">Orihalcon</a>: I'm so glad :)

You guys should see Lady GaGa go totally, well.. gaga in a interview talking about Marina. Check it out, I think it's really sweet

Or Marina Abramovic Made Me Cry with pictures of people who faced her during that exhibit.

7. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I'm upset that every time I read the title of this thread Huey Lewis gets stuck in my head:mad:

8. jazzabel

[MENTION=53984]Garball[/MENTION]: Haha, sorry :D

9. Robin Murarka

Robin Murarka New Member

Usually when I watch something that is genuinely moving, I am moved to tears. On the other hand when I watch something that is supposed to be genuinely moving, but is prescribed as such (as in a performance of something genuinely moving), that ends up seeming trite to me, I am almost unable to watch it for the repulsion that occurs within.

10. jazzabel

Well, I suppose, nobody can move everybody and truth is in the eye of the beholder. But rest assured, many were genuinely moved, including myself and I sure hope my emotions aren't less "genuine" than yours. Or that yours are less genuine than mine. See how it works both ways? :)

11. Robin Murarka

Robin Murarka New Member

I have found that truth tends to remain constant no matter what we want to believe. :) And more important than the validity of this exercise is the feelings you feel, because those are real, irregardless of the trigger.

12. jazzabel

[MENTION=55500]Robin Murarka[/MENTION]: Then perhaps we should alert the world of philosophy, because I don't think they even agree on what is the definition of 'truth', let alone what it actually is :D But you are right, our internal truth is our best guide.

13. Robin Murarka

Robin Murarka New Member

:)

An introspective individual can contemplate truer notions than the masses most of the time.

14. jazzabel

Gosh, that's the truth if I ever heard one! Masses have borderline IQ at best, it's a phenomenon of the lowest common denominator.

15. jazzabel

Aww, Marina's newest disciple is Jay Z!! 6 hours long rap performance of 'Picasso Baby' at MoMA

I think he did great!

16. 7thMidget

7thMidget New Member

Great moment of interaction, sure. I just don't see what makes it special, lol.

17. IronPalm

IronPalm Banned

It's even worse than that for me. Simply seeing the title of this topic reminds me of this video, accompanied by the Huey Lewis song;

18. jazzabel

7thMidget: Well, for me, it's lovely to see a rapper transition into what snobs call 'modern art'. Psychologically speaking, I think this was a huge achievement for Jay Z, as a person and as an artist.

IronPalm: That's so funny! However, I am reminded of this instead

Isn't he so dreamy? :p

19. 7thMidget

7thMidget New Member

Well, yes, I get the intention behind it and how much fun he had doing it. But really, to me, it just looks like a fancier version of a Meet&Greet or something. Doing it at MoMA doesn't make it any more artistic than it would be if he were somewhere else. I see him at that place, I see him saying that Marina's "The Artist is Present" is what inspired him to do this, but I don't see anything that makes this worthier of a snob's appreciation than everything else that Jay Z and other music artists already do. Concertgoers get invited on stage all the time, performers walk among them or crowdsurf and I even remember Shakira singing and dancing in the middle of a parking lot packed with fans right after one of her shows (really cool!). None of that ever needed a MoMA stamp of approval and ends up being even more entertaining and less pretentious - to me, that is - because of that.

By the way, that last video you put up - what a great performance! I wasn't expecting that ending; nice touch.

20. 7thMidget

7thMidget New Member

I knew it would get doubled...