1. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Australian bush-fire wildlife appeal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Selbbin, Jan 11, 2020.

I apologise for breaching the forum rules. Move, delete, ban as the rules dictate.... but I have to post this. [not a rule break, mod approved]

The greatest victims of the unprecedented, apocalyptic and relentless bushfires in Australia are the animals. Native animals, feral animals, pets and livestock. It is estimated that between half a billion to a billion kangaroos, wallabies, echidnas, koalas, wombats, bats, parrots, owls, snakes, lizards, spiders, possums, sugar gliders, etc. have so far perished in the fires. This is NOT hyperbole. The army has been deployed to dig mass graves for kangaroos piled up along the highways.

Millions more are injured and left in wastelands wiped of food and water. As of three days ago, over 10 million hectares has been reduced to ash. Most of it protected national parks. And it's not over. We're also in a severe draught with most of the waterways already dry. The animals need our help. Nothing of this scale has happened before. That's why it's an international event. It's an ecological emergency. It's an ethical test. And it won't be over when the fires are out.

A lot of the international attention is on firefighters (my brother being one) and human victims, but thousands of volunteers are busy rescuing injured animals, placing food and water stations, dropping food from helicopters. So if you feel like donating, don't donate to the firefighters. They have enough. Don't donate to rebuilding programs, the government will sort it out. Donate to animal rescue and welfare. They need it the most.

https://www.wires.org.au/donate/emergency-fund
    https://www.rspcansw.org.au/bushfire-appeal/
    https://www.zoo.org.au/fire-fund/

And more if you care to look.

It's not all misery and despair. There's a lot of heartwarming stories of people stepping in to help. I love this one: https://10daily.com.au/news/a200107szpkb/the-world-is-knitting-clothes-for-australias-injured-wildlife-and-darn-the-pics-are-cute-20200107

Plus
    https://www.adweek.com/agencies/an-agency-is-placing-stuffed-koalas-around-nyc-to-drive-donations-to-australia/

PS. I was going to post pictures, but when I started looking through them I couldn't take it and had to stop, so... I'll just leave you with this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2020
  2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Please don't kill this thread. Maybe move it to the top as an announcement?
    Even Aussie YouTubers are screaming for help on this one. A near-apocalyptic world event.

love to read likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It's not a rule break since you are not advertising yourself or gaining financially in anyway...nor are you requesting sponsorship for yourself. That said we're not going to pin it or anything like that because we'd be over run with disaster appeals if we did that...

One point if any posting on this thread is inclined to post any graphic pictures - please spoiler wrap them with a content warning

With my mod hat off i'd also say make sure you spread the funding around - my sister is in australia and she says that of the funding going to wildlife charities the koalas charities are getting about 90% (because koalas are cute and fluffy)... the other wildlife is also suffering

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Some Guy likes this.
  4. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

That saddens me. That really really saddens me.

People are saying that the cause of the fires is directly linked to global warming. This is just a the start of the panic.

Here’s where the land is predicted to all go in C.100-500 years:

D623B240-038A-4E96-A76A-EE2F91850B78.jpeg
    Venice (2019)

I don’t know if you’ve seen all the rage on TV but senior politicians weren’t taking it as seriously in the ‘90’s as they are now. Scientists were, of course, but it’s not this generation who’s going to have to deal with the problem. There is a camp of people who are saying that global warming ISN’T the cause of all the bushfires. Others are saying that global warming is a lie and isn’t really a valid reason for concern. With all the environment problems going on around the world.. and the bushfires.. I’m not really sure..

I mean.. surely it is...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Mish likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

While I don't disagree let's keep the global warming debate for the debate room.

Some Guy and EFMingo like this.
  6. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I want to add to the heart warming bit of this thread with an article I read today. Love seeing how food is being dropped in to these adjacent areas where animals have been escaping towards in order to try and help out the remaining wildlife sustain. I sincerely hope the devastation is able to be remedied effectively and expeditiously when the fires finally begin to subside.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/animals/planes-drop-thousands-of-kilograms-of-carrots-and-potatoes-for-starving-animals/

Mish, dbesim, Some Guy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Thanks. :)

Yes, while Koalas are the main focus for many, considering they're the Australian Panda (cuddly and facing extinction) all the other animals cannot be forgotten. Bats, lizards, wallabies, even snakes and spiders. They're all part of the ecosystem, they all suffer, and they all need help and protection. Luckily the Koala charities recognize this and word has it they are spreading the money around.

The Australian government has announced an animal rescue and recovery package that will start at $50 million. 25 for current emergency action and 25 for recovery. I think a lot more is needed but considering our history of ignoring wildlife protection this is a good start.

But grass roots action is still vital. Luckily and thankfully the impact on animals is not being ignored. Locals are being encouraged and educated on making food drops and water stations. There was a possum home building workshop in a Sydney alley on the weekend where volunteers made 3000 possum houses. Tons of food for endangered rock wallabies is being air dropped (an expensive exercise).

This isn't just about saving the ecology or the biodiversity. It's about reducing the pain, suffering and torment of other sentient beings. It's about empathy and I'm so glad to see it being normalized.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    dbesim and EFMingo like this.
  8. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

There are certain things you can buy to sponsor the cause to save the koalas from retailers donating 100% of their profits to this cause. You’ll also be getting something back from buying these things. So it’s worth a look:

10 Buys To Support The Australian Bushfire Relief Effort
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/marielasummerhays01/things-to-buy-to-support-australian-bushfire-relief-effort

EFMingo likes this.
  9. Mish

Mish Senior Member

EFMingo likes this.