1. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Microsoft Word (help)

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Jhunter, Apr 18, 2012.

I just tried to move three paragraphs by cut/paste. But, when I did, it left a blank line in its wake (first time this has ever happened to me). Now when I try to backspace a line of text back up to fill in the gap--it just puts the gap underneath whatever I moved up. I tried backspacing a couple of pages in the hopes that it would go away; but it didn't. I really do not want to have to backspace my entire manuscript to get rid of this.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks,

JH

2. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I've had all kinds of crazy things happen in word when I haven't restarted my computer in a while. Have you done that? It might not solve it, but it's worth a try.

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

weird! :) can't you just "regret" until you get it back as it was, save, exit and start over? I know, it's a fools solution but it might be something temporary that will have gone away the next time you open the document.

4. Jhunter

@funky: I turn my computer off every night.

@Tesoro: I have it the way it was now, I didn't save the document once it messed up. I have tried doing it over a dozen times now, each time it gives me the blank line.

5. Tesoro

It all sounds really strange. I'm glad I have never had that problem. Although there have been other small errors but nothing like that. Could you copy and paste the paragraphs to another document, delete it from the first, correct the error in the new doc and then copy and paste it back? Another fools solution, hehe. I'm an expert at those! :D

6. Jhunter

See, that isn't the problem--the removed paragraphs are fine. It is what they leave in their wake that is the problem.

7. CH878

CH878 Active Member

What version of word are you using? 2003, 2007 or 2010?

This should fix it

Copy all the offending text in the document
    Open Notepad (usually in start/accessories)
    Paste the text into a notepad document, then select it all and copy it again
    Get rid of all the faulty text in your word document and then paste the text in from the notepad document

What you've effectively done with the above method is remove any weird formatting word might have created.

Hope that's clear, I'll try and explain anything that isn't.
    :)

8. CH878

CH878 Active Member

I probably didn't make it clear actually, you'll have to copy from one paragraph before the weird gap to one paragraph after the paragraphs you moved, i.e. the whole section that's effected

9. Jhunter

I am using 2010. But the problem is--is that the text isn't offending. It is the blank line that wont go away no matter what part of text I remove that is offending. I have tried removing the text above and below the blank line into Open Office and Note Pad. But the line reappears endlessly under the next available text. I have even copy and pasted the whole thing into both programs, but it messes up the formatting on everything.

10. CH878

CH878 Active Member

hmm...

When you copied all the text in document into notepad and back, did the problem go away?

It could maybe be something to do with the paragraph formatting, Word 2010 automatically adds a line after paragraphs in the 'normal' style. From what you've said though, this doesn't seem to be that likely.

If you press ctrl and * together, it'll show you the hidden formatting, which might help. You'll be able to see if it's adding something in for some reason.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ancient

Ancient New Member

I have had the exact same problem occasionally. Surprisingly, both on MS Word and on Wordpress. (com and org). I have no clue what it is, but it acts as if it has inserted some sort of formatting on the page there, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to remove it. Usually I ended up copying it all, restarting word, and going at it again. Usually it's okay after that.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jhunter

I am just going to leave it for now. It isn't that big of a deal I guess. It just looks like one part is double-spaced.

13. Jhunter

After Googling around it seems the problem is that the blank line is in fact a page break. Word still thinks it is one even though the line of text got moved up with the three removed paragraphs. Now I just need to fiddle with options to try and correct it.

14. Tesoro

Oh, nice to hear you found out what it was. Strange though. Word might think he's intelligent, but sometimes I have my doubts.

15. Jhunter

Yay! I just figured it out finally, haha.

I had to do this and set the value back down to 0:

Word 2007 and Word 2010

1. Select the paragraph immediately before or after the unwanted page break.
    2. On the Page Layout tab, click the Paragraph Dialog Box Launcher, and then click the Indents and Spacing tab. Or, right-click and choose Paragraph, and then click the Indents and Spacing tab.
    3. Check to see whether Spacing Before or Spacing After is set to an unusually high value.

Edit: Thanks for all your help everybody.

16. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I don't get that on word processing, but I do get that when I (sometimes) make Avery Labels, especially if I 'center' any of the text. There are ten pre-arranged business card outlines.

I let it happen until all of the keystrokes are there, then correct it a digit at a time, that is until I think I have it. I print the first one out on 8x11.5 paper, and many times I have to 'bump' over another digit so it looks right on paper but off on the computer screen.

Even if I have plenty of room on the outline of the card perforation, hitting enter one too many times drops the text down onto the next card, again in a jumble.

17. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

It sounds weird to me, but then I use Word 2000, so I'm probably a little behind the times. If there's and extra page break in there you should see it in the print layout view where it would show up as text flowing between two pages. And if you want to get rid ofa page break, assuming it was a deliberately placed page break rather then one placed there by the actual length of the document, in the normal view it should show up as a dotted line with the word page break in the middle. These can simply be cut out with a cntl C and a cntl X. Note that page breaks the program puts in itself because the document has basically reached the end of the page, don't show up in this view, but still can be seen in the print layout view as a gap between two distinct pages.

Also check that you haven't pasted your new text into a footer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Greg.