1. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto New Member

Science fiction? Science fantasy? What now?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by LuminousTyto, Jul 25, 2012.

Okay, I think the title for this post is lame but didn't feel like writing a better one because I have a headache. Anyways I'm interested in writing fiction that's set in a futuristic time period. Would this be considered science fiction? I don't plan on detailing any of the science because that's not really what I'm all bout, you know.

I know that if I make up fake science then it turns into science fantasy, but what if I can kind of just avoid the science all together and not make anything impossible happen. What would the genre be? Still Sci fi?

Looking for your thoughts on this.

Also, I think that I'd go with science fantasy before I went with regular science fiction because my knowledge of science isn't that great. I suppose I could improve but I think I still like sci fi fantasy better. How about you?

2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I think science fiction is more about setting that actual science detailed in the story. If its set in the future, and there are futuristic things, most people would probably call that science fiction. But the genre it conforms to doesn't really matter a hill of beans if it has an interesting story and believable characters. Other people can figure out the genre. Some of my favorite stories defy genre. Don't feel like you need to be confined by a genre. Just let the story develop organically from the ideas you have and i'm sure it will come out fine!

3. Scott Berman

Scott Berman New Member

I completely agree with Pheonix, genre doesn't really matter. If you have a good story don't hold out, write it. You can worry about details like "What genre does it fall under?" when your looking to publish it.

4. nzric

nzric Active Member

I agree with Berman. Just go for it.

One important thing to remember is if you're not comfortable with the science side or you don't want to do the scientific research to make the science credible, don't pretend to. Handwaving is ok in a story if it's obvious, for example Star Wars is futuristic but is is straight fantasy - who cares how the Death Star 'actually works'. On the other hand, a lot of the reasons why hardcore Star Trek fans like the series (I hear) is that while the technology is fictional it is detailed & consistent with the established rules of the Star Trek universe.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Star Wars is science fantasy. The science part is negligible.