1. Thevampire

Thevampire New Member

Writing fantasy

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Thevampire, Mar 28, 2012.

I want to use a necromancer as my main character. Im trying to find a way to incorporate some companions for my character. Hes more of a vigilante type in personality and the book has a dark tone to it. Im looking for what type of companions would be good for someone like him...(druid,barbarian,etc..) I do plan on using "class" to fit roles but I will be adding more background to them.
    What would be some good companions for him,could a druid and a necromancer work together?
    Any other info on writing fantasy would be great
    thanks

2. GillySoose

GillySoose New Member

They could work together if you make them work together.

I'd be able to answer you with more certainty if we were talking about some game or established universe. You're writing the story, so you can do anything. I don't even really know what exactly constitutes a druid or a necromancer in your book, so I have no idea if they'd work together or not.

I'd advise just reading and writing a lot of fantasy to get a good grip on it. There's really no one way to write it.

3. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I know the problems--and the benefits--my novel is also a fantasy, of sorts.

You will have an issue when using words that trip traditional ideas in readers. You can play on that to buttress concepts.

The nice part however is that a fantasy is a world of your own doing. For example, in my novel we have quasi-religious bounty hunters. They exist because I say they do. They have their own origin story, even their own distinct clothing.

However, as complex as they appear, they do graduate from an academy. I use the word 'academy' because everyone knows what that means.

So if I was to say, "This spiritual mercenary left the academy" you would instantly know what I inferred.

4. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

You can make anything work, if you do it right.

I think, since druids are fans of "natural" nature, and necromancers are into the very unnatural conjuration of the undead, this will definitely cause some issues between your characters. But that's a good thing! You don't always want characters to see eye-to-eye, and differences in opinion can make for some heated (and thus interesting to the reader) arguments. Just make sure that they relate on SOME level. Perhaps if they are in a group traveling together they would have similar goals. Or perhaps they find each other useful since they use different kinds of magic, and thus each would do better in different situations.

5. Squeakyfiend

Squeakyfiend New Member

Maybe it could be an Undead Druid that the Necromancer has summoned to help them?

6. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I face the same issue. I want to use 'nephilim' as a class of created beings, however, the conventional wisdom is that they are all fallen angels.

What if they're not? My premise is that they are a lineage of created beings like any other race.

If the idea of necromancers is essential to the plot, and you don't like the accepted fabric of their origin, just change it. Why can't they use their powers, training and education in an application in the idea of good vs. evil?

7. Rybe

Rybe New Member

I'm seconding the "on surface level I don't think druids would like necromancers much" idea, but then again, there could be any number of explanations for them cooperating, which could make their collaboration just that much more interesting. I think I'd consider more what types of people would hang out with this necromancer of yours and then figure out what THEY would do for their adventuring living, not the other way around. I mean, you can have a fantasy character, like a druid, who's pretty much defined by their "class", but those characters can get dull very quickly. For example, lets say you think this rough and tumble guy who wants revenge on people hangs out with your MC to go beat in bad guy face and likes to keep life simple. This guy would clearly make a better fighter than, say, a mage.

You should also probably put some consideration into how necromancers are treated in your society. That would also greatly influence who would be willing to hang out with him.

8. Cyrus

Cyrus New Member

I think the biggest problem with writing fantasy is that it's too easy to get away with anything.
    The only advice I would give in regards to writing fantasy is to not get too carried away.

It's all well and good being able to add elements or characters to your story because "it's my world, what's stopping me?" but you still need to lay down constraints and rules for your world. The best thing to do is lay down some basic lore and make these the rules of your world. Eventually it all feeds down into the believability of your story and makes it a lot easier to take in and empathise with.

Don't misunderstand though, Fantasy is one of the more freeing themes because you have total creative control. Just you should set boundries doesn't stifle that because don't forget it's you thats gets to set the rules.

9. Amy Newcomer

Amy Newcomer New Member

The most attractive thing to me is the dynamics that happen between two characters. What do they see eye to eye about, what rubs them the wrong way? These interchanges can bring a reality and consistency to the story that makes them "human." Think about how a vampire and a druid would relate, or where they would differ, Or a necromancer. and a vampire. It doesn't have to be your stereotypical idea however, it's what ever you want. The characters in themsleves can be intriguing, but it's the group dynamic that really brings a story to life. Think about your favorite fantasy novel, and how this applies. To me it's not just about having a deep character, it's the quirks that make them special. you fill in the blank..The druid who has always dreamed of ______, who is afraid of _______, and always has an irritating habit of ______. How could these quirks make for an interesting reaction with the vampire? I would go with whatever character you can more imagine and seems more alive to you, someone who creates interest.

10. Happy Rambler

Happy Rambler New Member

I think having a druid and a necromancer work together sounds like a really cool idea. If both characters are traditional incarnations of their classes then there's a lot of room for conflict. Perhaps your plot gives them a reason to unite under a common cause?

Now, you asked what type of companions would be good for someone like him. Well, that's up to you, but in the books I've read necromancers are almost always physically weak. Maybe you could come up with some sort of "guardian" or "henchman" type character to act as his muscle. Of course, there's nothing to stop you from making the necromancer himself into a raging bull. It's up to you really.

11. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Well, dead trees might be a common cause.

And while I use a touch of humor here, there's an old adage that politics makes strange bedfellows. I think Rambler is onto something. Considering the spectrum of 'fantasy,' you could even create some crisis that makes a logical focus in a society completely unlike our own.

For example, suppose some alien enemy seeks to ravage a world culture by destroying the gigantic root structure that weaves their planet together. They need heroes! In a dank tavern one evening a master druid meets a necromancer recently shunned by his cloistered brethren. Finding that they are both the bastard spawn of a discredited former national freedon fighter, they join forces to redeem their father and save the vital root system for the world that has denounced them both...

Heck, I'd like to write that book!

12. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

To expand on an idea of another post here, maybe an undead companion he tried to summon that was supposed to be a great warrior or magician, except the summoning didn't work out properly and he's got a deficient, yet strong warrior. So he can lack in intelligence but he's terribly strong so the conversations could be one sided, etc etc