1. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

dreaming in animals

Discussion in 'Research' started by Ettina, Jul 18, 2012.

OK, in one story I have, I'm writing two characters who are a sentient lion and a sentient hyena. I'm thinking of having them have strange dreams that turn out to be the Goddess of nature trying to teach them how to shapeshift. Anyway, my question is, how do I figure out what kinds of dreams a lion or a hyena would have? Do I just write them like human dreams, except focused on things a lion or a hyena would be interested in, and including sensory details more typical of how they'd perceive things? Or is it likely their dreams would be different in others?

2. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Up to your imagination I would think. However the key word is sentient. If they are self aware are they also intelligent? Do they understand language? Motivations? Plots? Morality? Emotions? The more they understand in their normal lives the more complex I would expect their dreams to be.

Cheers, Greg.

3. adampjr

adampjr New Member

Lol, can't help but chuckle. If they're sentient, then they wouldn't have whatever dreams lions and hyenas have ; ). Well, depends on how loosely you define "sentient." I'd imagine lions dream about peacefully eating food with occassional nightmares about hyenas. I imagine hyenas have nightmares about lions with occasional peaceful dreams about eating gazelle.

4. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I want to say Kipling did this? Or at least the animals could speak.

I know many Buddhist proverbs also had speaking animals...I don't recall any I read dreaming, but hey, why not?