1. History_lives

History_lives New Member

A story that doesn't follow what others expect.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by History_lives, Jul 7, 2012.

Hello there,
    I've been thinking of a story. A different type of story where the "hero" doesn't win, where "good" doesn't triumph over "evil." where the hero isn't given what he wanted, but he must work for it. Something just different and doesn't follow the certain way fantasy stories are with "happy endings."

Even though, I have this idea, I don't know where to start. I could use some help please. I'm open to ideas.

cydney likes this.
  2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You are asking for people to come up with a story for you to write?

3. History_lives

History_lives New Member

Of course not! I would never take anyone's ideas. I'm just asking if it sounds like something someone would read. If it would be worth publishing if I ever got an idea for it. And if they did write something about it, how would they do it? I'm not taking their ideas, but seeing how they think and what they think about it.

4. Complex

Complex New Member

That type is more of the American style of work. Happy endings are not necessary for lots of Japanese works, and in fact the happy ending usually results in some terrible result which ends up with the main characters death or injury. Also, sometimes it is just better to have the villain win, because they are better then the heroes. Then again, most 'evil' in those stories are not 'I'm evil because I like it' and the antagonists are treated in the same way as the protagonist, they have emotions, regrets and goals.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Whether anyone wants to read it doesw not depend on the story idea, but on how well you write it.

Happy endings are not a prerequisite for a story in just about any genre or culture, but a story needs to go somewhere. If the hero loses and "evil" wins, there should be something the reader takes away from tghe experience.

It doesn't really sound like you have a story, though. It sounds like you are trying to find somet
    hing that makes your story different. But different for the sake of being different is a cheap gimmick. That is not what makes a compelling story. Good writing, a mastery of language, vivid characters, these are what makes a story appealing.

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Unhappy endings can work. It depends on how they're handled.

7. killbill

killbill Member

I don't know what you have been reading but almost every book, even the "fantasy stories are with "happy endings"" (i am not a fan of such stories either) have the hero facing obstacles. I mean, without it the story will be without conflicts. So, there is nothing new in a hero having to face oppositions to get what he wants.

8. A. Nelix

A. Nelix New Member

Unhappy endings are good as long as the ending makes sense. Also don't make it stupidly sad. Don't just stick a sad ending just so you want your book to be different. What I suggest you do is you write the book first and then you might even change your mind. Sometimes your character might grow on you. First have a beginning, a middle and then you can worry about the end when it draws near.

I do not even know the end of my book and I have been working on it for a year and.

9. Literature that goes against conventions is my favorite. That's how you get popular, you write something original... Anyways, I wouldn't worry about the 'is it worth it if I get it published' thing... First thing is first, write the book. Good luck fella.

10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

This part confuses me. Many fantasy stories seem to be _about_ the hero working for what he wants. Can you clarify a little more?

11. aimeekath

aimeekath New Member

Read some tragedies, the hero never wins. This is usually because of some fatal flaw, like arrogance. Some examples include Oleanna, Oedipus Rex and King Lear. They aren't that modern, but they might give you some ideas.

12. DomTheDoxx

DomTheDoxx New Member

If you're asking if it will sell, then YES. Assuming you can convey your idea thoroughly and and skillfully.

Just take some of Quentin Tarantino's movies for example. The ending of Reservoir Dogs took me off guard but i still enjoyed the movie and would go see it in theaters if i was re-released.