Tags:
  1. Sean2112bd

Sean2112bd New Member

How to write a good chase scene/setting.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Sean2112bd, Jan 17, 2011.

So, I got two people chasing each other in my story. I haven't described my setting yet, (most of it has been action so far) so I'm using this chase scene as an opportunity to show the setting. I know that the best way to write a chase scene is to keep the sentences short and consistent when referring to the actions of the characters; however, I want to evoke a setting that matches the chase scene itself. It's set in the half-barren plains of Texas and the clouds are rolling in, thunder, humidity, heavy wind etc (no rain at this point) so I guess what I'm asking is how do I describe both the chase scene and the setting at the same time. Should I say something like the "dust-filled air whisked against her face drying the moisture in her eyes" or would be better to describe the setting first, "thunder echoed as the black clouds rolled in like a stampede of wild horses, the wind swayed the grass back and forth. She darted across the plains blah blah blah"

Should I sequence the setting in the chase scene, or should I separate them...or a little of both. Some of the setting first, and then sequence them together.

Sorry if this post isn't very coherent, if there's any confusion as to what I'm asking then let me know.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

EDIT - my phone double-posted this. My bad.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Either one works fine, as long as you don't info dump or have the setting usurp the chase. Also, in your description, don't mention things about the desert being dry and sandy - I mean, readers know. I'm writing this on my phone, so I apologize if it posts twice or something.

4. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

You really should read some Cormac McCarthy. He's a master at this.

5. Sean2112bd

Sean2112bd New Member

I've been meaning to read his books, so far on my list are The Road and Blood Meridian.