1. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

3 way prologue?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by peachalulu, Jun 23, 2012.

I'm really considering a prologue , even though I'm not crazy about them.
    The fact is I want my characters set in certain positions at the beginning of the novel to juxtapose where they are at the ending. However it's not just the main character who needs this contrast there are three characters who all have to be placed. Though, in the scene I've envisioned they all kind of flow together - one is seen flying home over the city , the other character watches the plane go by , while the last character is a city worker and under the city.
    I'm just wondering if multicharacter prologues have been done - or does it matter as long as I can pull it off?

2. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

How about do it, see how it reads, and go from there? Just because it's not been done before, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think that it would be safer to highlight their locations while also charging right into the story. You don't want your reader saying, "Oh, for God's sake, I read all that just to watch a _plane go by_?! When does the story start? Never mind, I'm buying this one instead."

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Why don't you include it in the first chapter instead? I have never read a prologue with three viewpoints but I might have missed something and it's pretty common?? :confused:
    consider if the information is really necessary to the reader before you decide on this. I'm with chicken freak on this one I think. If you can make it significant you're already one step closer to getting away with it.