1. sharonwagoner

sharonwagoner New Member

story line help needed

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sharonwagoner, Oct 24, 2012.

I am having trouble incorporating subplots into my stories.

I have diagrammed what some top authors did, to help me understand how they used their subplots, but I am still having trouble adding strong subplots to my stories.

I think that my thinking is too linear. Does anyone have a suggestion for a new way to think about my story line.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

3. Knarfia

Knarfia New Member

Try visualizing. Meditate- let the thoughts flow freely, even if the thoughts have nothing to do with the story. Maybe your story's about outer space- visualize that. Suddenly a rabbit dressed as an Ewok is on your spaceship? Accept that thought. Who cares if it doesn't fit, just let your thoughts go where they want. Whether or not you get something for your story out of it, at the very least you will have given your mind a break, in turn giving yourself a chance to write from the heart. Writing is an art, you can't be too rigid with it.

4. sharonwagoner

sharonwagoner New Member

So more on weaving story lines: Sorry guys. I am going to use Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

The main story is about the rocky romance between Darcy and Elizabeth, but supporting story lines show us a number of other relationships. The supporting story lines provide the push that moves the main story line along.

Elizabeth meets Darcy because of the romance between her sister Jane and Darcy's friend Bingley. This is a rather straight forward boy meets girl. Complications break them up. Happy ending story line.

Elizabeth meets Darcy again because of her visit to her married friend (Mrs Collins), who has made a marriage of convenience to Elizabeth's rather silly cousin Mr. Collins.

Later, Elizabeth and Darcy are thrown together yet again when she tours his great house with her uncle and aunt. She had been told that he was not at home. He arrives just in time to meet her again. Then a scandal involving her younger sister almost ends their budding romance, yet again.

The separate strands of the different supporting story lines each provide a push for the movement forward of the main story. I would like to be able to write like that.