1. kingzilla

kingzilla Member

Fine line of describing the setting

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by kingzilla, May 25, 2012.

In the first draft of one of the novels I wrote that is on pause right now, I felt completely comfortable writing a with a pretty bazaar setting, but in a new novel I just started I am having some doubts of how much description I should commit to the setting. What I decided to do is write on scene with plenty description and one with less... I am still pretty torn.

I thought I pretty much had all my 'new' writer fears out of the way, but this problem is in the way of me being able to put the petal to the metal on this new book. So my question is what do you think about the 'fine line' between too much description and a perfect amount?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

When in doubt, describe less. You may decide later to beef it up, but too little description is almost always better than too much.

Unless your setting was an enclosed marketplace, I think you mean bizarre. :)

3. kingzilla

kingzilla Member

Thanks for the quick reply and, yeah, I got confused with the two definitions of bizarre. Back on topic, I will cut the decription down a tad then, and in my second draft improve it with some more confidence and some more experience in the storyworld.

4. killbill

killbill Member

Personally I write the bere minimum and pad it later if required, but some just love writing descriptions. So, you may follow the other approach: write as much descriptions as you want in your first draft and cut the extra fat in your redraft, sorta built up the fat and tone it later. The reasoning behind this is it is much easier to cut when you redraft than to add, and I think it is a sound reasoning.