1. Vivake Pathak

Vivake Pathak New Member

separation of elements of a term

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Vivake Pathak, Apr 30, 2011.

Should "page" or "chapter" and the subsequent page or chapter number be together, on the same line, in a published work? For example, there is an instance of "page 66" in my book, where "page" is at the end of a line and "66" begins the next line: Is there a rule that implies that "page" and "66" should be together, on the same line?

2. Omega14

Omega14 New Member

If they are on the same page but on different lines, I don't think there is a problem, but if the split goes over a page, I think I would endeavour to keep them together. I would look for a way to bring the 66 back onto the previous page by either rewording a phrase, removing one or two words somewhere, or substituting a longer word with a shorter one.

Rachel

3. Vivake Pathak

Vivake Pathak New Member

They are on the same page on two different lines, "page" at the end of a line and "66" at the beginning of the next line. Whenever I see them, I feel that they should be together, on the same line, but I wish to know whether there is a rule in this reference.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the rule [stated or not] is to not start a line of text with a numeral... so that would preclude your dividing that to make the next page's first line of text begin with '66'...

5. Vivake Pathak

Vivake Pathak New Member

You have a good point there, thanks.