1. DystopianApocolypse

DystopianApocolypse Member

Siding against god

Discussion in 'Research' started by DystopianApocolypse, Apr 4, 2016.

Would you side with the MC demon in her fight against a god who is going to let the world end.

2. BadCrow

BadCrow Member

... depends on the circumstances and your MC...

3. DystopianApocolypse

The MC demon has been sent the ability to escape hell by an angel profit who has seen the world ending. Knowing it was coming, the angel freed the demon MC so she could fight back against "god" so she could try and defeat him, stopping the end of the world by his demise.

4. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Active Member

Sure. What do I have to lose? I fail, the world ends, I'm dead. I succeed, I helped kill God. Think of the YouTube hits on that GoPro footage.

5. DystopianApocolypse

Lolz yeah. Good point. Just some people can get kind of strung up on the G word

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Sure.

(spoilers)

In Clive Barker's Imajica we travel along with MC, whose nickname is Gentle (foreshadowing) as he discovers that the Earth is one of several realms of existence, and that "heaven" is also one of the realms. A great conjunction is upon the people of all the realms where Earth, long since parted from the other realms, will be able to rejoin and one will be able to pass from Earth to the other realms. Gentle kinda' works out that he's the second Son of God. God-God. The Abrahamic god. He also pieces together that his older brother, Jesus, maybe didn't die for the reasons that we believe, but instead because God (IN THIS STORY) is not a nice guy. In the story God invaded "heaven", not created it. Jesus was kinda' not happy about this and tried to thwart his dad and, well, you know the rest.

Anywho, Gentle has to stop God-daddy from leaving "heaven" and wreaking havoc all over the other realms, to include, of course, Earth.

Also, Gentle hooks up with an "angel" who can take any form he likes, but spends most of the book as a handsome, muscular black dude. ;)

Megalith and Shattered Shields like this.
  7. DystopianApocolypse

Thank you for informing me of this book's existence. I shall give it a look see as it sounds right up my alley.

8. BadCrow

BadCrow Member

in that case sure why not. God seems like a dick...

9. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

I'd take the Switzerland approach. What is a human like me going to do in a war between heaven and hell? Best bet is to wait it out and then pretend I was on the right side afterwards.

Wait, you referred to the demon as a she...is she hot? Well, she's from hell so she better be. Sure, I'll go for it and side with the demon.

10. BadCrow

BadCrow Member

He has a point what do i have from fighting god? Love? Money? Power?
    Since the world seems doomed otherwise however I would try to stop it... but why not gain something in the process?

11. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

She's a demon right? Well shouldn't the first question be what's in it for her? If she fights God, what are the chances of survival and the chances of winning and losing? What happens to her if she wins? Loses? If she doesn't, what will happen to her?

That's your decision making tree.

Cheers, Greg.

12. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Is this based on the God of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, or are you inventing your own?

13. DystopianApocolypse

largely inventing my own but he has the same biblical ring to him. He is righteous and just, always right and powerful, anyone who doesn't listen to him is fucked, that whole speel. though, he did create the world as it is and everyone that populates it, human, demon and angel alike.

14. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I guess it would also depend on the demon. Is she a demon in name only or one filled with grays, or is she, evil-- self-centered, lures others to their own destruction and plays upon their weaknesses to her own end (and their own suffering and demise)?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  15. DystopianApocolypse

Cheers, Greg.[/QUOTE]
    She has been a warrior for a long time and struggles to see her life as anything more than an endless stream of conflict and combat. She is being shown the brighter side of life, kindness, sugary foods, friends, family, but struggles to accept it as for so long she has been nothing more than a warrior fighting for her own strength and her own will to succeed.

16. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

So then more of a supernatural warrior and not really a demon, in the more classic evil sort of view.

17. The Triarii

The Triarii Member

Well there is a case for both sides. there is the voluntary Human Extinction Movement in real life, so to find such a group in your fiction is entirely possible. Also one would generally assume that God would have a reason to destroy the earth. People devoutly religious would obviously go along with it. Someone who is more atheistic or agnostic (which would seem to be implausible views if this god is apparent and planning on the imminent destruction of the world) might decide that it is in their own rational self interest to revolt against a God planning to do this. You also have the opportunity to flip the table here, using a more "old testament" like God figure and playing the fallen angels as merely angels who refused to follow such a irrational being (making the devil and the daemons the rational actors)

I myself have to little information here to say what I would do, but as long as you present your story with verisimilitude you will have grounds to present almost any angle, in many cases with a real life counterpart.

18. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Well, I'm an atheist who feels that if God exists He's probably evil, so if I met your MC and believed what she was saying, I'd be terrified, but probably willing to help if I thought I actually stood the slightest chance of making any difference.

19. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

I may do, yes. But you as the author would have to win me over.

It does help that I'm not religious, and am predisposed to there being shades of grey between good and evil.

20. Mikmaxs

Mikmaxs Senior Member

It depends a lot on this universe's 'God'. Greek mythology, for example, was fulls of 'gods', but they were pretty frequently villains, or at least unconcerned with the fate of poor mortals. If we're talking the classical Christian God, though, it'd be a much harder sell. (At least in part because, by classical Christian theology, God couldn't possibly be the villain.)

Shattered Shields likes this.
  21. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

You may encounter more of a challenge in inducing your readers to connect emotionally with a supernatural creature such as a demon than in convincing them to take a stance against god. How will we relate to your MC? What will make us empathize with her? Why will we care whether or not she succeeds or fails, lives or dies (can she die?)

Yes, I know, the end of the world, but sometimes stakes become so big that they are no longer accessible. How are you going to bring the conflict of the book home to the reader?

Good luck. It sounds like a very thought-provoking idea--turning conventional religion on its head.

22. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

This is a dangerous thread.

This is going to be a very complicated dilemma for you. I'm not saying to not write this piece, I don't have the right to do so, but this sounds like an idea that even the likes of Hemingway would have a bit of trouble with. Tread carefully.

Make the God like that of the Greeks. Give him faults, make him careless. Giants almost never check beneath their feet, and even giants made of gold have to shit somewhere. Try not to make this a polarized "good v. evil" matchup. Make it a hard choice, a complicated choice. In other words, ensure that both demon and this God are very gray characters. That, I feel, would make this a truly unique book.

23. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Here's a theme i'd been considering for a book that i know i'll never write :D

"I never chose to be born and i will not let generation after generation of life be forced into this reality for your amusement."

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  24. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

You're being impossibly vague.
    Why is god going to let the world end?

25. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Just use a lowercase 'g' and you're good to go. ;)