1. Senko

Senko Member

Novel How much do you need to read to decide that a novel is for you

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Senko, Jul 29, 2021.

You pick a novel from a shelf in a book store or a book Fair.
    You haven´t heard anything about the title, and don´t know the author.

Usually, how many pages do you need to read before deciding that the novel is for you, and that you want to read that book ?

2. SoupSpoon

SoupSpoon New Member

The first page usually, but it would depend how much the book cost. I buy quite a few secondhand books from charity shops if the back cover catches my eye - they go back to the charity shop if they don't attract my interest within a few pages. I like charity shop books because they are an inexpensive way of trying different writers.

sarkalark likes this.
  3. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

I can be put off in a paragraph, or lose interest after a chapter or two.

Richach likes this.
  4. Rizona

Rizona Member

I usually read the first page. I can tell from that if I like the style of the writing.
    Full disclosure: I might then go to Amazon/Goodreads and check out the score and reviews, as it is rare for me to buy a book I know nothing about on a whim. I was frequently disappointed that way in the past.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  5. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

Usually, within the first couple of pages I get the feeling of whether I want to go on and give a novel a try (positive feeling that translates into hope). I am wary of saying I know I will like it, because most times a novel is a journey with parts I like and others I don't like. But if I don't get hooked by the first couple of pages where the tone of the book is set, then I found that it is unlikely I will read the whole thing. There has been exceptions in which I had to read a hundred pages to enjoy the other 150 left. But that was a rare exception.

Often though, when it is a big no, I will know within a few lines.

Although I rather make my own mind by reading the first pages of a novel and check out key points of the plot (sometimes I feel like reading about specific plot points--like a specific type of relationship between parents and children, or something that happens on a beach), I also read best-sellers. Mostly out of curiosity, to know why other people like them so much.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  6. TripleBackstab

TripleBackstab Banned

Probably the first paragraph or page. If the author is good at something I can make it through the chapter.

Richach likes this.
  7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

First couple of pages is usually enough to tell me whether I want to keep going. However, I'll put a book down at any point if I start to dislike it--even if I'm 3/4 of the way through it.

8. Triduana

Triduana Member

Usually during the first chapter. Often I'll carry on for a bit longer, because 'it might pick up', but then a book can become a chore to read - then I'll just stop reading because it's supposed to be enjoyable, not hard work. Sometimes I'll look on the internet to see how a book ends, and decide from that if I want to read any more.

9. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!
    The back cover. Because a lot of the time, I can imagine the whole plot playing out and see if I want to read it. If I do, I read. If not, I put it back. I don't even open that thing.

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Heh. I don’t even look at the back cover. Funny how varied readers are.

11. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I pick a random page and start reading. Maybe a few bit from different pages. If I want to read more it's worth getting.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  12. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    It varies. Few have turned me off in the first paragraph(s).
    I've done about 2.5 chapters once, but it was too boring to
    continue. Then there was one that I made it about halfway
    through the book, and gave up with just how shit it was with
    all the asshole characters, continuity errors, and such.
    Then there are those that I've finished, but I've questioned
    why, considering they were like a train wreck where you want
    to look away, but you can't help but keep looking as you pass
    by.

13. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

These days... Never. All the books I pick up have been recommended one place or another to me (social media mostly).

Bei likes this.
  14. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I've been in that exact same situation.....
    was waiting on someone so i went into Barnes & Noble. I was pursuing the SF/F section and randomly chose a book. got maybe 2 chapters in before the person i was waiting on showed up. I ended up buying the book... and have since read all 12 books in the series.

Sometimes it'll take me half the book to decide whether or not i want to read it. other times it will take me the first chapter or 2.

15. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

The first page never impresses me because they're mostly for thrillers. I usually flip until I see something that catches my eye -- a unique phrase or maybe the dialogue is clever and of course if the blurb strikes me than I'll pick up the book. I found Sol Yurick's The Bag from a unique phrase - he described someone as having a stomach like a chocolate donut.

Occasionally just the idea of the book interests me I picked up The Queen of Hearts by Kaye Dobkin in a used bookstore because it was a horror about a ghostly Charles Dobson trying to get future 'Alice's to destroy his creations that had leaked into reality. Occasionally a cover lures me.

16. Yonathan Asefaw

Yonathan Asefaw Banned

I'd keep reading it, no matter if it's an author I don't like.

17. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

What a great question.

I read and look at the first line, paragraph and page. A good author should know the ropes and if they don’t know how to grab me using a myriad of writing devices available to them, then I would question their writing craft and grasp of telling a story. You can tell a great deal about a book and it’s author by the first page and certainly the first chapter.

I certainly think it is worth reading the blurb on the back page etc. This is another opportunity for the author to grab me.

if the author has the confidence to tell me what is about to happen and then go on to exceed expectations then that’s a sure sign of a winner (Marcus Kusak).

I would make an exception to this rule if the book came recommended or if I believe I can learn something. Even if it’s a bad book.

18. Terbus

Terbus Active Member

Currently Reading::
    To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini
    Great question! I don't think I've ever thought about this much. Anyway, I did some thinking, and came up with the following.

I will read the first chapter or three of most books I pick up, but I ordinarily know by the end of the first chapter if I'll keep reading. I rarely base my choice on writing style, but rather were I see the story progressing from the starting point. All of us try to make our first page the best of the best, so I always read father then it. Sometimes I will read a book I don't care overly much for because I think I'll learn something from it or my best friend asked me to read it. The other thing I will read straight through even if I don't care for the writing is nonfiction, mostly because then I'm more interested in what happened then how it is written about. I have a long list of books I've read or not read, but I won't start on that rant here.