1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

A story idea just popped into my Head...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Aug 6, 2011.

I was just on this forum, when i had the the name Xenu pop in my head. Then i was brainstorming some more, and then i got a plot idea. The plot was about a dysfunctional empire steals a crystal from a group of rebels who used the crystal to have resources and valuable protection. The story consists of other Empires, who eventually figure out the crystal has been stolen, so some of them begin a plot to steal it themselves. As the character Xenu finds out about the Vault, he begins to find out that the crystal contains more then anything in the galaxy and a whole race towards time begins. Is this a solid plot?

2. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Not too sure, could you specify what the crystal contains more then anything in the galaxy means exactly?

3. Fullmetal Xeno

It contains every single thing that has happened to the world in itself. It detects things happening, and when you touch it, it brings you into other universes. Nobody knows how it was created. It's original origin was inside The Vault, located above space, which monitors everything happening in space. The Vault was created by an ancient civilization who built their kingdom mainly out of rubies and crystals. Yes, i came up with all of this just now. :)

4. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Cool, sounds fairly solid. In the words of Cogito "Its how you write it" :p

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nope. It's a story concept, not a plot.

And a story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

1 person likes this.
  6. Mikeyface

Mikeyface New Member

You lost me somewhere around, "they have a race towards time."

I think you have way more going on in your head than you were able to put down onto the forum (excitement will do that to you.)

It also sounds massive in scale (which can be difficult to impossible on the first attempt.) The set up is irrelevant if we have no characters to relate us to the grandest, or the simplest, idea.

Easiest way to tell if your idea is sticky to YOU is to write something down. A chapter, a short story, something-- anything to start digging into the universe of what is going on in your head. You'll discover quickly if you are mining enough material to structure a story around.

Excitement is a great motivator. Use that to see where you can go.

7. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

I agree with writing something more down. That will definitely tell you if you have something or not. If not a chapter at least flush out some of the actual plot and characters to see if the idea still sounds good or not.

8. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

You need to work out all the bugs. This is becoming an auto post for me, but really, asking question must be done more more more!

So you say this ancient civilization built their kingdom out of rubies and stuff? Excuse me, but anyone smart enough to build a crystal of infinite power would be smart enough to realize using rubies on everything is not a smart construction decision. Also, anyone powerful enough to build said crystal would find it hard to die out.

Also, how come the rebels didn't random universe jump when they first used it? How did they acquire the crystal in the first place? And is there a pattern to the universe you go to when you touch it? If there is, it sounds like a major plot device. If there isn't, it can still be used as an escape rope.

And what about the original Empire who stole it from the rebels? What did they do, shave themselves using it? Why haven't they already pw0nd Xenu and the other Empires? What happens to the rebels in the end?

9. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Does it matter? If it's something you want to write about then just go for it! If someone here told you it sucked then would you really drop the whole project? If you do then it just shows you have zero faith in your own idea. ;)

10. Mikeyface

Mikeyface New Member

What he said. But let's pull it back a bit.

Hard Sci-Fi, or large universe Sci-Fi, requires a boatload of pre-vis work before you're even to the structuring.

You pretty much need to write a universe bible for size (planets, etc.), government, law, conflicts, economy, crime, a multitude of other things.

You need your own resource guide so that you create the story correctly. You need your own reference. It's a bad idea to make it up on the fly because it will end up not lining up correctly and you'll miss key opportunities to use your own rules to draw interesting conflict.

Which brings me back to: starting with a Sci-Fi novel (or Fantasy for that matter) is a much longer undertaking than it will appear on first glance.

Game of Thrones is a good reference. That entire world was mapped out (on paper, no less) and all the conflicts were set in motion AND given a complete history to draw from.

Build the world, then build the story.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Mikey, I can only agree to a point. Hard SF is my preferred genre. Yes, you do need to do some advance planning, but not down to every detail. Do as much as the story requires, but no more.

For a novel I am working on, I researched star characteristics to find one suitable for my story, and performed a number of calculations for the physical characteristics of my planet. I planned its overall climate and ecology, but not dtailed geography. I've enumerated other planets in the system, but only in a very rough way, and subject to change. The climate and ecology had characterists necessary to the story, or I would have gone into less detail researching those as well.

World-building can become an addiction, and a means of procreastinating the actual writing.

12. Fullmetal Xeno

You're right, i think i was too excited. I would have to map out everything that is relevant to the story. I guess i didn't think beforehand, i should be more careful before i go this deep of a universe next time. Game of Thrones is a very nice world, and even on it's map alone i feel like im living in another world. :)

13. Mikeyface

Mikeyface New Member

Ha! Cog, you make an interesting point. I was only pointing out what I would do-- but I can see where that could become an addiction.

Consistency and an audience understanding of the universal rules in the story, are paramount.

14. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

It's really circumstantial. If a big part of your story is having a planet burn up, don't make its average temperature below zero. In fact, you might want to do some research on super novas or whatever it is that makes planets burn up.

But if the exciting part is mostly chasing bandits through space, you don't have to do research on climates.