Tags:
  1. Kursal

Kursal New Member

Anyone written for BBC TV??

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by Kursal, Apr 22, 2009.

Hi,

I've just been asked for a spec script for the BBC and I was wondering if anyone had written for them before and what formats they preferred? The show is a 45 minute, 13 part drama and I'm torn between 'Casualty' style or a more traditional screenplay format. I know, from friends, that they will accept anything that is professionally formatted. I suppose it's just a question of professional pride, I want to get it right for the show.

Sorry if this is the wrong place by the way, I wasn't sure where it should go.

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Why are you asking us instead of them?

3. Kursal

Kursal New Member

Because I know the response I get will be "We don't accept spec scripts for television dramas." Which, in all fairness to them, they don't. To the producer, it doesn't matter what format it is and so all I got from him was "Whatever you prefer."

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

If they honestly say, whatever you prefer, then what are you worrying about? Use a format that you know is professional and you are comfortable with.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i believe bbc has a sample of their preferred format posted on their website... at least they used to... try googling for it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/insight/scriptsmart_formats.shtml

it took me less than 5 seconds, from typing 'bbc script formats' in search engine to this being the first hit...

google is your best friend... and should always be your first stop, when needing to know something...

6. Kursal

Kursal New Member

Thanks Maia but that wasn't quite what I was after. I am aware of the two distinct script formats used by the BBC but was unsure if what I am working on was classed as a Taped Drama or uses the screenplay format. The producer was happy with either format but I managed to speak to the script editor and he said he prefers the screenplay format (which is what I really needed to know). Thanks for the help though.