1. Hetroclite

Hetroclite New Member

Size Limits for Posted Works?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Hetroclite, Jan 13, 2009.

I haven't posted any of my short stories yet. What's the size limit of what I can post? I see the stories posted here are so short. My works are much longer. If my stories are too long to fit into one post, how can I link them if I split them into more than one post? Could I post a link to the story in another site rather than the story itself? :confused:

2. zorell

zorell New Member

Your options are a follows:
    -post an op and reply with the leftovers (may not be good, I know from experience, because the selection may be too long for many people to sit down and read at a PC)

-post a section, snippet, chunk, what have you, that fits the constraints

I wouldn't suggest linking because that just causes problems when you're trying to comment about it and have to go back and forth and such.

Hope I've been in some way helpful:D

3. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Split it up equally between the 1st and 2nd posts in the same thread. If it's still too big to fit in two consecutive posts, you're probably going to have a hard time getting a full review.

Just make sure you don't make two separate threads.

Also, I'm not sure linking your story for review, if it's on another site, will fly as far as forum rules go.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

You cannot link to works externally hosted, and you must keep each work within one thread. It is perfectly acceptable to use two posts, or to simply post a bit at a time. Be aware that if a piece is particularly long, it may disuade people from reviewing it, thus sometimes posting one part first, then the second part later, may be advantageous.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Keep in mind that the purpose of the Review Room workshop, from the writing side, is to improve your writing. This is best served by starting with a short excerpt. This way, critiques can focus on generaL writing issues first, such as SPAG, sentence and paragraph structure, lackluster dialogue, overdescribing, etc. These are changes you can then propagate through the rest of your manuscript. Then as you've tightened up the writing itself, you can expand the scope so the critiquers can look at the broader considerations like character growth, plot advancement, and overall pacing. By now, you may have some reviewers invested enough in your work to dig into the larger excerpt.

Diving into a long piece of writing is daunting, especially if the writing style is painful to wade through. You will get better responses by starting small, and the responses will be focused where you need them to be.

So if your piece is too long to post in one piece, I strongly urge you to start MUCH smaller.

6. Mesuno

Mesuno New Member

Also, if you want to put the whole piece up here somewhere, you could post it in the blog space of your own profile. That way people who are attracted by your first post can go and look at the rest if they choose.