1. BawaK

BawaK New Member

Book recommendations, please?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by BawaK, Jan 6, 2013.

I am trying to write a novel in which there is to be quite a bit of action, but I seem to get into a rut every time I try a scene. I'm comfortable with dialogue (internal, or with other characters), but I can't seem to get my head around the action part.
    So I figure I should read some books with some classy action scenes. Any suggestions? Who do you think wrote the best action sequences? :confused:

2. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    Have you tried the Earthsea Quartet ? Consists of The Earthsea Wizzard, Tombs of Atuan, Farthest Shore
    and Another Wind - in all of these there are amazing, magic-based action scenes, amazingly described while staying pretty
    simple, also the chars, the plot, the message, amazing read in all aspects. Strongly recommended.

If you opt for sword fights and more brutality, the hyped Game of Thrones might also be a solution...

hope this helped,
    cheers

3. Caeben

Caeben Member

For fantasy, a couple of suggestions: R Scott Bakker's The Prince of Nothing trilogy and Scott Lynch's Lies of Loche Lamora.

For non-fantasy and sci-fi, a couple of suggestions: Jeff Somers' The Electric Church and most of what Tom Clancy has written.

4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Read the book called "The Outsiders," and "Rumblefish," by S.E. Hinton. Both are awesome books.

5. bmacd

bmacd Member

"Battle Royale" has some really neat action scenes.

6. patrickgoggles

patrickgoggles New Member

It depends on what kind of action you want. I remember the first Tarzan book having really good action scenes(everything else is pretty laughable). Those scenes, though, take place mostly in the jungle with hand to hand(claw) fighting.

7. TaylorWP

TaylorWP New Member

Roger Zelazny wrote pretty good action. He could carry along an implausible story really, really well. All too often I find myself putting down a book and thinking "Now wait just a minute! That's rediculous!" The thing about Zelazny's books was I didn't find myself doing that until after I finished the book. His writing carried me along to the end before I really started to think about it. Many of his books have plenty of action (even implausible action after you stop to think about it) and are worth studying for that.

8. niallohagan

niallohagan New Member

Read the league of night and fog, brotherhood of the rose and the fraternity of the stone by David Morrell(sp?) In fact, any of his books. Lots of good acton scenes

9. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Read Robert Ludlum's Bourne Identity. Then if you like it, buy the other two (don't buy book four and above - they aren't so good).

10. Khaelmin

Khaelmin Active Member

Well, for fantasy, I agree with Hwaigon and Caeben, about the first three books of ASOIAF and Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard Sequence. You could also try anything by Joe Abercrombie, but especially 'Red Country' and 'The Heroes'. He's really great with fight scenes.

For sci-fi, you could try Neal Asher and Peter F. Hamilton. But beware of Hamilton, all of his novels tend to be quite lengthy.

11. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    Anyone read The Mistborn chronicle ? It's said to have wonderful characters, plot and a well-developed system of magic.
    Also the villain-goodguy relationship is unclishé - at least that's what the review I've read says. Along with Roger Zelazny's Amber chronicles,
    this one is on my waiting list.

12. Caramello Koala

Caramello Koala New Member

Haha, Battle Royale. Yes!