1. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Words that describe CLOTHING STYLE?!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MatrixGravity, Apr 22, 2012.

I have a job interview coming up in a few days, and one of the most primary questions they ask is "How would you describe your clothing style in 3 words"? I have only managed to find three words that would be sufficient enough as a response, but other than that I can't seem to think of anymore. I have looked all over the internet but still remain quite uncertain about this.

-PRESENTABLE
    -CASUAL
    -SOPHISTICATED
    -DYNAMIC (Would that be appropriate?)

That's all I've got! Can you folks offer me any more suggestions? What are some more words I can use to describe "clothing style"? (It doesn't necessarily have to be my clothing style, just in general)

2. aeri

aeri New Member

I don't know if these would be appropriate for your situation, but here are some of my suggestions:

- Fresh
    - Chic
    - Edgy
    - Unique
    - Appropriate (I don't know if this would still fit in that context)

Dynamic sounds a little vague to me. Maybe it's because I don't really know how someone would look dynamic.

That's about what I got so far in my mind.

3. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

smart but, casual

well groomed

unkempt

un/fashionable

interesting

sensible

unusual

individual

arty

bespoke

off the peg

up to the minute

dated

hip

disheveled

fit

cool

hot

4. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

It depends what the job is, doesn't it?
    If you are applying for a merchant banker firm, 'dynamic' and 'casual' would be totally inappropriate. 'Professional and discreet' would be better.
    If you are applying for an ad agency, 'whacky' 'original' and 'arty' could all be suitable. It depends on the IMAGE OF THE COMPANY.
    So, perhaps the question is designed more to find out if you have done some homework about what the employers want, and less about your personal sartorial tastes. There are not many jobs where you dress entirely as you like. You need to fit in.

5. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

It's just a generic retail job. The store sells very vintage looking clothing.

6. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Your style might be retro, vintage, bohemian, preppy, beachy, mod, goth, elegant, eclectic...

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

"Classic with attitude."

8. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Why is this in the spelling, punctuation and grammar section??

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Read fashion catalogs and clothing/fashion sites.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

11. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Ahhh, you guys will love being retired. I do not own a single Dior suit, button down shirt or ties of any sort.

It's easy to characterize my wardrobe, and it's in less than three words. "Biker crap." The key word there is crap. I didn't know how much I hated dressing up for 30 years, now that I don't have to.

Henry David Thoreau said, "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes."

I could not agree more.

12. MissRis

MissRis New Member

If it's vintage, I think eclectic may be better to replace the word dynamic.

13. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Best clue? Look at the people already working there and decide what style they're wearing. That's what you want.

Tourist, you made me frown so bad. I work at home and still love my dress clothes. I just imagined not buying any business clothes, only comfortable casual clothing and, yeah, nothing but sadness. :p

14. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Well, you have to consider the age in which I lived, the baby boom years. We were raised to excel, to study hard, to go to college, get ahead, all be manangers or business owners. I had a college fund of nickels and dimes when I was five years old. When I got birthday money I always put some away for college, by my own wishes.

To me it was the natural course of "living correctly."

Now, I have to admit, I was a lousy son. I rebelled, fought, and wound up doing anything I wanted. But for all of the girls I chased around with, and all the motorcycles I wore out, I still went to college and graduated. I would have never quit.

In truth, a guy like me should have gone into some skilled trade where I could have made stuff with my hands. Like a cabinet maker, or a custom boot maker, or as I do now, but by becoming a full fledged togishi.

I tore off those stupid suits the moment I got home, put on my crap and and rode the wheels off anything I could find. And when I retired early at 51, I felt like I had been paroled from a maximum security prison. I even told my wife that I would stop self-censoring my speech--and as it applies here, I've been banned by just short of two dozen forms. I got banned a few days ago.

I feel I did my time in hell. They bury the guys I rode with in the crap they died in. And that's how I insist I be remembered. The guy in the Dior suit is lyin' SOB.