1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

How do you write...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by deadrats, Dec 18, 2020.

Does anyone else think "How do you write (insert anything)?" is a strange question? It throws me off because if you read books and write, then you know how to write, right? So, when someone says "how do I write a sad character?" you're still going to write it just like you would anything else or any other character. Sure, there are tips and pointers, maybe. But the how part seems so weird to me. I always want to say with words, with the right words. There isn't really much more than that. You just do it.

I understand people get stuck. Maybe I've even posted a similar question, though, I don't think I have or would do that. But I do like to smoke a lot of pot and talk shop so who knows. But, still, the question of how to write something just seems awkward. Maybe it's the way these questions are phrased more than the issue the poster is dealing with. But how can you really ask someone how to write something, especially when these questions seem to be pretty specific? I'm not sure what kind of answer they're really looking for when "how" is part of the question. How do I write a breakup scene? How do I write about a broken down spaceship? How do I write about a Christmas presents? You get the idea. Does anyone else think these sort of questions are strange? And why are there so many of them?

2. mar-iposa

mar-iposa Member

You're right... "with the right words" is exactly the correct answer, but sometimes it's hard for people to know what those words are and therefore they can't "just do it".

If I were to ask "how do I write a breakup scene?", I would be asking for insight into what kind of emotion the situation invokes... what am I trying to get people to feel with my words, such that the situation is more impactful or at least believable? that sort of thing... "with words" is too vague because there are so many words.... so so many... What words?

Homer Potvin and deadrats like this.
  3. deadrats

I hear you, @mar-iposa, but these sort of questions can seem more vague than your explanation of then what you are looking for which makes more sense. I think the word "how" just gets to me a little because you could just title it "writing an impactful breakup scene." And, still, the person writing it has surely thought it through and hopefully tried writing it before asking us how to write it. So, when it becomes interesting is when the writer tries and fails and maybe tries again. Can't nail the breakup scene despite having been dumped 100 times. This is the climax of the story. Or maybe it's the beginning. And it's not having the impact it's supposed to. That's "why" not "how." Personally, I like it when threads are more of a discussion than really telling the OP "how" to do anything. I might not be making much sense. It just seems like everyone wants to know "how." I guess maybe I have issues with the word "how" and how often it's used. I bored and lonely in quarantine. I'm craving more interesting interactions and putting off revision. It looks like you're pretty new. Being here long enough you start to see patterns and repetition.

mar-iposa likes this.
  4. mar-iposa

mar-iposa Member

I see what you mean... vague can get repetitive... maybe I too will grow tired of reading these kinds of questions with time :)
    i sought out forums because of how lonely quarantine has been... i feel ya

deadrats likes this.
  5. deadrats

Don't get me wrong. This is a good place. I've never been a part of another writing forum, but I did check a few out before going this one a few years back.

mar-iposa likes this.
  6. HulkingElf

HulkingElf Member

im a very personable person, and i can talk easy well to people and crowds but i always feel like when i write things down that i dont quite capture the feeling i would have if i spoke it to you. especially since im one of those people that speaks with their hands for extra emphasis. even this paragraph suffers from that feeling that i could come over cross (even though i probably wont) and it especially hits me hard when i do tend to write stories as i try to convey the emotion in the words as i feel them, but i never quite feel like i can get the picture in my head unto paper. However a good majority of my writing is for dnd, either as a player or a dm, which allows me to act and speak out my written word so that i can use my more personable side to allow my words to shine better. But i do kinda vibe with you on why would you ask "how to write sad character?" if the question was "how to make said character sound more sad or happy?" then its a bit easier to give critique and i tend to ask them if that was what they meant. most ppl just need you for a thesaurus or help their paragraph structure. but then there are those self answering questions that i too find odd, its just like the same question "how to write a sad character?" im like um you make them sad.

deadrats and mar-iposa like this.