1. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Recommend me a book... (for research)

Discussion in 'Research' started by Stormsong07, Jan 11, 2019.

Recommend me a book that has an insecure/hesitant MC who has difficulties making decisions and believing in themselves, and who grows and changes and overcomes these fears. I want to see how other authors have handled this.

Also, if you have a situation/scene/character type that you want an example of, ask here. I'm sure we all have extensive reading lists, we can probably help each other out.

2. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

Vin in Mistborn: The Final Empire is the first character that comes to my mind, due to her difficulties trusting people. Though that may have been more a distrust directed outward than inward. An indecisive character may be difficult to write, as readers prefer reading active protagonists who are always doing things.

Stormsong07 likes this.
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I don't have a specific example, but a lot of the romance novels I've read have one of the two protagonists be a shy, awkward person with low self esteem that doesn't understand why the other person is interested in them and through the growing power (phrasing) of love, turn into a beautiful, confident human being with good posture and a daily oral hygiene regimen.

tapioka, Cave Troll and Stormsong07 like this.
  4. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

One of my favorite Nora Roberts books is a great example of this - Jewels of the Sun. Jude starts out in the beginning with terrible self-esteem from a nasty divorce and a lifetime of always doing exactly what everyone else expects of her. She blossoms into a strong, secure person not only because of the Love of a Good Man (hey, it's a Romance), but also by finding friendships with some amazing women and finally focusing on work that's intellectually and emotionally fulfilling to her.

Stormsong07 likes this.