1. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Books You Need to Tackle

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Crazy Ivan, Jun 23, 2008.

Bringing back a topic that usually springs up around now: Do you have any particularly large projects growling ominously at you from the bookshelf? Anything that stands above the usual quick paperback? A classic, an epic, a nonfiction text... tell us about it!

I, for one, was going fine through The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, until I had to leave for a week. Now that I've come back and lost my momentum, this has become a much more daunting project- maybe once I start reading again, it won't seem so big.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Waiting for Snow in Havana by Carlos Eire was gifted to me by a friend some time back. Every once in a while he askes if I have read it yet.

There's no aliens or time travel in it! :(

3. zorell

zorell New Member

Huckleberry Finn was assigned as a school project, I cannot stand the book. I also can't read it because I somehow lost it. To me, that's not bad, the school might disagree.

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

School projects- that reminds me. I need to read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. It's the favorite book of my seventh grade English teacher, the coolest teacher in the world, so I figure it can't be that bad, but...it's classics, you know? They come pre-approved with a sticker that says 'Boring' on the front.

5. ugu

ugu New Member

I have this thick law book I've borrowed from someone that I have yet to begin reading. The content does interest me - I just haven't had a time. It doesn't help that I'm developing an interest in a completely new subject and I've been doing a lot more reading than necessary in that department.

6. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I tried to finish the Bible in 6th grade, but found I couldn't. Since, I haven't been able to start it. I dunno, it has a good message, but written in such a simple and matter-of-fact way ya know? Someday I'll rewrite the whole Bible in more modern language, haha. :p

7. Rebekkamaria

Rebekkamaria New Member

I adored this book... until the middle where it turned so heavy that I just couldn't continue. I'm not surprised that you're having a hard time going back to it. I still wish I would have been able to read it. It's a great book and my dear friend recommended it. But the feeling of doom over everything is just too much for me. Usually it isn't, but this book is different.

Hmm... I'm supposed to read a lot of classics. My first is Pride and Prejudice which is an easy read, but after that... it's a long way ahead of me. :)

8. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

Already been done :) Go find "The Message" translation of the Bible. It reads like a novel.

As far as books I need to tackle...I've read everything I have at home except for A Child Called It and A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier. The material in both of those is so graphic and heavy that it's hard to get through. And they're both true...I'm not exactly looking forward to picking them up again, so I'm not sure I actually ever will.

9. Milady

Milady Active Member

I'm supposed to read Jane Eyre, Frankenstein, and something-or-other else. Can't remember... heh.

10. JanesLife

JanesLife New Member

Heh. I have just had a boost of confidence because I have actually tackled a few on this list.
    Currently, I must tackle: Anna Karenina, Gone With the Wind, Les Miserables
    One day, I will tackle: War and Peace

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy.

I normaly like Tom Clancy, though I just find this book dull.

12. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I'm planning to try and get through the nigh-incomprehensible Ink by Hal Duncan on the upcoming wealth of long and boring car rides.

13. Firefly

Firefly Member

I've tried to read the whole Bible before. I love the message, but it's such a big book! It's little overwhelming sometimes. But now I usually try to read a bit of it each night if I'm not too tired.

I don't think I know anybody (even very devout Christians) who has read every word in the Bible, so don't feel too bad. :D I'm sure we'll all get to it eventually.

14. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

It's the parts where they list all the descendants and stuff that gets me. Like, "x had y and z and 1 and 2 and 3; and y spawned 4; and z spawned 5 and 6 and 7..." and so on. It might be that they're just at the beginning, but they stop me every time.

15. zorell

zorell New Member

Huckleberry Finn resufaced- AAHH! Now I actually have to read it.

I hate AP classes.

16. ValianceInEnd

Haha, thanks. In the olden days, I can see why so many people read it because it was the only book they could get. It is one big book though.

17. ugu

ugu New Member

I actually read the entire Bible (or at least the parts I never really read) when I was deciding whether or not I should continue to call myself a Christian. I didn't understand half of it because I wasn't (yet) well-versed in its historical context, but I did finish the damn thing. I plan on studying Asia Minor and Judaism before I reread it within the next five years.

18. Firefly

Firefly Member

Good for you! It's awesome when people stick with it and read the whole thing. I tend to be a procrastinator. I'll say that I'll read the Bible, but then "something else will come up" or I'll be "too tired." I know, pathetic me, right? :rolleyes:

19. ValianceInEnd

Nope, procrastination is one of my many talents. You aren't alone. :D

20. IHateNietzsche

IHateNietzsche New Member

I've finished the Bible... but I never finished Solzhenitsyn's August 1914.