Tags:
  1. a19941

a19941 New Member

How would he know?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by a19941, Jun 7, 2011.

Hey guys, this is my first post! Nice to see everyone around. Anyway, I've been struggling with this aspect to my plot.

At the beginning of my Story, My main characters enters a new city and saves a woman from being attacked and ends up killing the man. However, this man is the son of the protagonist. How would my Protagonist know my MC killed his son if the only three people who know are: My main character, the girl he saved and her father. Maybe the father could be corrupt and sold him out? I honestly and stuck for ideas.

Thanks for the help everyone! I appreciate it :)

2. Talim

Talim Member

Honestly, I think that's for you to figure out. You're the one writing the story, it's yours.
    Take your time on getting to the details. I suggest that you write when you feel inspired to, and focus less on the 'how' part. That's something you do after you've got a general idea of what you're story looks like. Inspiration will strike.
    If you've already done that, maybe you've just been too busy with your story? If so, take some time off and do things you enjoy and maybe inspire you. Read other stories, watch a movie, go out for a walk, take a long hot shower. Just take some time off and you'll probably have new energy and new inspiration for your story.

3. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

I would either use a witness to the crime that steps forward or do detective work that places him at the scene of the crime.

First have the protagonist find some motive that the MC would have which makes the protagonist want to know if the MC did it. A simple relationship with the woman would work as motive for the protagonist to begin his/her investigation. This would leave the protagonist wondering how the MC first meet the woman and to figure out his man died that night when attempting to kill her and put 2 and 2 together.

Again it is your story so you really should tell it your self. I just hope this gets you un-stuck.

4. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

I can think up multiple scenarios, but this isn't an issue with the plot.

The story and details are for the Author to decide. If you aren't capable of doing this than you need to take a break as having someone else decide your story for you is more or less making it...not your story.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Perhaps the dad reads a newspaper report about someone who killed his son out of defense. Names were excluded for people's safety, but he's able to hit the streets and unravel it himself: talk to someone, who leads him to someone else (or a clue), which leads him to the next step and so on.

6. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

The girls meets the dad and sees a picture of his son?

7. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

First of all, the "protagonist" is usually the hero in the story, so the "protagonist" and "main character" are nearly always the same.

Anyway, a revelation like this is a pretty important part of the story, so it would be best if you figured it out yourself. But what if the main character and protagonist were related somehow? It could make it a nice drama or some kind.

8. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

My guess was the Main Character was the bad guy but you could be right in that they meant Antagonist.