Tags:
  1. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

Getting from one place to another

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The Piper, Jan 4, 2019.

Struggling with the end of my story, Hide. (Yes, those of you that followed my "which one do I choose?" thread, despite continuing work on The Archangel I've finally come around and settled on the project I realised I actually feel strongest about). While I'm nowhere near the end yet, I need to know how it can work, so that the earlier parts of my story can lead towards it. If it can't work, I need to rethink something.

I won't reveal any spoilers if I can help it, so if this doesn't make sense feel free to ask questions. If there is a plot-related spoiler, I'll mark it. You shouldn't have to open any spoilers, but if it helps understand they I'm struggling with this question then feel free.

The story (strong horror) mainly takes place on an isolated island. (Before, it was a seaside town, but who doesn't love an island).

Flashbacks reveal our protagonist/antagonist's (yes, it's the same person - it's complicated) childhood. These take place on the mainland.
    The flashbacks involve voodoo magic which allows for healing/resurrections - for the price of just one little soul.

Two of our main characters are a father and daughter. Again, trying not to reveal too much here so that's potentially all you need to know. At the end of the story, something happens.
    The father dies.

To undo this, the daughter goes to the mainland and finds herself in the place where the flashbacks occurred. Here, it can be fixed.
    That is, she can have her dad resurrected, but it'll cost her soul. Nice (horrible) little cliffhanger there.

The problem is:

How would she get there? She's only fifteen/sixteen, so she can't drive. Even if she can, she can't get off the island by herself. Stealing a boat under cover of darkness might seem a little ridiculous, but it's all I can think of. Also, how would she know about the Flashback Place? How would she know where to find it? After all, the flashbacks happened to someone else.

But I definitely need her to get there.

Any ideas? If you need more detail please ask but if anyone can help with this ending I'd hugely appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

Piper

2. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

How does she know about the flashback place? Well, someone could have told her about it. she could have read about it in a diary, or a newspaper article. Maybe she saw it on TV. Maybe it's a legend. Maybe she overheard someone talking about it. Maybe she dreamt about it. Maybe she aw it in a vision. Tons of explanations here. :)

How does she get to the mainland? Depends on how far it is to the mainland, and if it's connected by a road or not. If there's a bridge leading there, she can simply walk, or ride a bike. If that's not a possibility, stealing a boat is fine. Or swim, if it's not too far. Steal a helicopter or a plane (she's young, but not "too young" to have had basic flight lessons.) A quick check on google told me that there are several people (male and female) who got their flight licence is the late teens. Vicky Van Meter was only 10 when she learned how to fly, and she flew from Augusta Maine to San Diego, California, at the age of 11. A year later, she flew over the Atlantic Ocean to Scotland. I know that might be an extreme case, but at 15/16, the MC is not too young to know how to fly. :)

3. The Piper

Thanks @LadyErica really helpful stuff!! In terms of knowing about it, I think you've helped me narrow it down to two options; either she comes into contact with someone who knows about the place on the mainland (not sure how to do this as her plot thread is pretty separate but it might work) or like you also said perhaps a vision or something. Maybe just a feeling that guides her towards it (it could be that someone from that place is "pulling" her there, as there's a strong sense throughout the novel that every event has been controlled by an external force). I think that's the option I'm leaning towards.

In terms of actually getting there, I suppose it wouldn't be too ridiculous to thread into the story that she's had some basic flying lessons (it's a small island, maybe she was bored). This could actually make her character a little more interesting I guess? So it's either that or the boat thing.

Thanks again for your ideas and opinions! Starting to look plausible now at the least and seems a little more workable.

Piper :)

4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Take a ferry? I'd assume that if there's a any kind of population (which wouldn't be a small assumption give there are boats and helicopters too steal) on the island then they'd need to transport people, vehicles and goods there somehow. Why? If these flashbacks happen after Spoiler Number Two, then it's possible she's gone back to see her old home where the two of them were together because of the natural process that happens after people experience Spoiler Number Two's. If it the flashbacks happen before, then she might go there specifically because she doesn't remember specific things about her childhood and is curious about it and why. Maybe she has friends and they decide to go do a small road trip to the mainland to do some drinking and she knows this great, out of the way place from when she was a kid that just so happens to be completely abandoned (yes, sort of a horror genre cliche, but also plausible teenager behaviour).

5. The Piper

Another good idea, I like - however the only problems are a) she's never been there and b)
    she has to somehow take her dead dad with her
    - you can see why this might be a problem with taking the ferry! But yeah, worth thinking about and working around. Looks like this ending is at least worth pursuing!

6. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Does her father not have a car? If he did, then she could always borrow that, and
    pull a Weekend at Bernies by putting some sunglasses on him, leaning the seat back and pretending he's asleep.
    I'm not sure where the story's taking place, but where I'm at 16 is a minimum age for getting a license and it's unlikely she'd get pulled over if it looked her parent or guardian was in the passenger seat giving driving lessons.

The Piper likes this.