1. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Posting your plot: bad idea?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ValianceInEnd, Jun 2, 2008.

Is it a bad idea to post a plot that you've come up with on the internet for others to see. I'm not saying anyone here would, but doesn't that make it a target for plagiarism?

2. nailer123

nailer123 New Member

That's a point that I was thinking of. Would there not be ways to prove it was your idea such as the date on the post or something?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No. A plot cannot be copyrighted or plagiarized, only the finished product

However, it is pointless to post a plot summary for opinions. A plot summary is the mere seed of a story. Everything depends on how it is finally written.

Just about every plot or storyline has been written in some form or another, so someone is sure to say, "It's been done before," or "it's derivative of such and such."

But no matter how many times I say this, people will continue to do so.

4. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Hopefully no one here would ever copy off someone else's work.

5. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

Yeah, about what Cogito said, some academic type person worked it out, and according to them there are only like 47 different plots. So yeah it doesn't really matter too much.

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

ValianceInEnd,

What would be the reason or benefit behind posting a plot?

A posted plot is a general statement (or set of events) that a story will revolve around (or move through).

Usually the question posed with the posted plot idea is something like: "Does this sound interesting?" or "Here's my idea. Should I write it?" or "Does this make sense?"

What could be the result but vague, general responses? How helpful would that truly be, other than possibly a bit of moral support?

It's been stated above that there really are not any totally original plots, but if you're uncomfortable posting, yet want to share and get input, possibly contact a few writers or other individuals whose observations, views and insight you trust, and share with them. It would offer a chance for a brief give and take.

Personally, I would not bother posting a plot in an effort to solicit opinions, but in the end I don't think it would cause any damage. What you write from a vague outline/posted plotline, will be greatly different from what someone else would write. Take a look at sites that offer a weekly writing prompt with a 500 word limit. How many stories turn out even remotely the same? Plus, my gut feeling that someone who doesn't have the imagination to devise their own plot wouldn't have the imagination and drive to actually complete something publishable. So even if they did attempt to 'lift your ideas', the would not bear fruit.

Terry

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It is an open forum. You don't even NEED and account to view posts outside of the Review Room, and it's easy enough to get an account to snoop even there. Plagiarism is always a possibility, although we do everything possible to prevent it.

I don't wish to sound alarmist, but everyone should remain aware that what is posted is pretty easily seen by anyone so inclined.

8. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

That is an extremely good point.

9. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I think that when someone asks for other people opinions about their plot, its because they want to know how the public will recieve it. That's why the plot creation subforum is here right?

10. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Hey ValianceInEnd, I'm Mexican and when I read your sig. I saw that you wrote the spanish part wrong. change:

Hola, soy Valiente En Final. Alegre en reunirse usted (Hello, I'm Brave in End, happy reunite you)

to --

Hola, soy Valentia en Final. Es un gusto conocerlo. (Hello, Im Valiance in End. pleased to meet you)

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

all good advice!... the fact is, no two writers would write the same story/book even if starting with the same plot outline... and you'll find lots of books in the bookshops/library that have nearly the same plots, yet stand alone as 'original' works and often sell equally well [or poorly, as the case may be]...

12. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Just remember...believe in your story...make it original and fresh.

Good luck to you.

13. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha thanks. I used a bad online translator.

And thanks everyone for your feedback. I wasn't planing on posting a plot, just getting everyone's ideas for further assessment.

14. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Case in point, romance novels...read one, you've read them all. LOL!

15. Shizai Ko

Shizai Ko New Member

This was my concern, too, but I came to that conclusion suggested by this responses on this forum.

I was in an anime forum and somebody wanted to created a character. This character had water-based techniques and one of the techniques was a water dragon. While the water dragon technique was featured on Bleach, Naruto, Yugioh, Pokemon, etc. He was going to stop his creation because of this, but he realize (through the response that he received) that even before he created the water dragon technique, Narauto did. But before that Yugioh, and before that Pokemon and even before Pokemon another show. It was through that forum that I even realized that "there is nothing new under the sun." Originality (I guess) comes from unique perspective and the way it is conveyed.

16. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Almost every plot had been done and redone. It's how you develop the plot that makes the story unique.

17. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

True.

About a hundred years ago I saw an add in Writer's magazine for a computer programme that would create a plot for you...

What is that about? :confused:

18. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I think it's something like this website.

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-writ.php

It's good for names and such, but not for story ideas.

19. Kelly Ishii

Kelly Ishii New Member

Ezra Pound once said: "Make it New."

'It,' in this case, is the 'old.'

He wrote one of his most famous poems as a haiku (the one about 'the apparition of faces in the subway; petals on a wet bough.) This was a form most considered to be, more or less, dead. Robert Pinsky did it, as well.

The point I'm trying to make is everything has been done; but, not everything has been done every way.