1. kayem

kayem New Member

I'm new! And excited!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kayem, Apr 26, 2013.

Hi everyone,

Well first, thanks for reading my introduction. I found this forum earlier today and felt compelled to join immediately.. Anything that could help me with my writing seems like a great idea to me! I'm slightly nervous about critiquing others work as I'm not convinced I have much authority on that front, but we'll see how it goes and I'm sure, as with anything, practice will make perfect.

I'm an English student about to hand in my final dissertation: it's a creative piece which I've wrestled with for several months now. I wouldn't describe my relationship with it as being particularly harmonious. I've definitely had to bash it into shape. It's been a journey! But now it's coming to a close and I hope I've tamed the 6500 word beast. As you can probably tell, it's an acrimonious setup at best.

I've always wanted to be a writer since a was a child, and through my teens I imagined myself living quietly in a little cottage with a view, sipping on a nice cup tea and reeling out the bestsellers in double quick time. However, since that time I've realised that writing isn't quite like that! I've spent the last few days in particular, clinging to a coffee mug on the brink of collapse, staring vacantly at my laptop screen wondering if every word I've written is truly the worst thing anyone has ever dared put to paper, or if only some of it is. I've never felt self doubt like it!

Anyway, I'm going to hold on to the serene cottage dream and hope that in the months, years (decades!) to come this forum will help me finish my first novel.

So cheers everyone, here's to us all writing the best damn thing anyone has ever seen.

KM

2. jeepea

jeepea Member

Welcome to the forum. It's not a cozy cottage but you'll find the people are friendly and helpful.

This is how every writer feels about their work at some point. Try not to listen to the nasty, negative gremlins whispering in your ear. Carry on and after a while they'll get bored and go away.:)

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, kayem!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirements. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills. The requirements of the Writing Workshop don't apply to the contests, so new members are allowed (nay, encouraged!) to get stuck in and enter! We also have a growing short story club (think book club, but with short stories!), which you can find stickied in the Book Discussion forum.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome!

5. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Hello Kayem! As a fellow writer I agree with you totally. Writing can be very challenging at times, but I find that practice with others can influence writing for the better. If you're ever curious about developing your characters further or your skills in creating characters out of the blue, come over to the RPG forums and jump right in! I'd be glad to help you out if you need any assistance, and roleplaying is a lot easier, and more fun, than anyone thinks! :p

6. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

Hello there. I am here to give you some advice. I kinda grew out of my wise faze not too long ago but maybe I'll think of something good to say. Well if you want writing critique, right here is the place to get it. And as for you writing personally, I have no idea how to put it better than my fellow writers, but yes, everyone has a time where they feel that their writing is either garbage or is not as good as it could be. And to be honest, it is never really that bad, it is usually self doubt most people get, because they feel that they are trying to live up to someone else's expectation. Though in all honesty, if you always live up to your expectation and raise it every time you reach it, you will surpass what you even thought you could be. No matter how bad it is remember the three R's.

Rethink
    Reimagine
    Rewrite

7. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

four R's

rethink
    reimagine
    rewrite

RPG's! lol but really, do it. It's fun.

8. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

Lol, quite.

9. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Hello Kayem. Allow me to be the 4th person from the RPG portion of the forum to say WELCOME...and come check out the RPG section forum. It's lots of fun. :D

10. Michael O

Michael O Member

Hello New and Excited!

I'm Old and Crazy!

Aye! Can't beat a hot cup of Earl Grey.

6500 words eh?

Lookie here.....English Professor asked us to write the most audacious and bold piece we could think of. Big part of the final. What do I know.....I'm a redneck retard of a science guy who loves to fish and play with dogs.

Took about two seconds. Wrote, "This is."

Pretty lucky not having to repeat that class.

Might just have to follow you around here. Need all the help I can get.

11. kayem

kayem New Member

Wow, thanks everyone for your welcomes. Your advice has already helped! I think it's easy to feel isolated when alone in front of a screen, I look forward to getting involved in the community, and exploring the role playing side of things too. :)

Also Michael O, thanks for making me chuckle.. I never knew a redneck retard who was partial to a delicate cup of Earl Grey before! Although I must say I'm not a fan, a cup of English Breakfast is surely the way forward.

12. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I've never seen your work, but I assure you it isn't. I edit 'the worst thing anyone has ever dared put to paper' on a monthly basis, and it's author isn't from the UK.

Not true, some of us are angry, mean, sadists. :mad:

13. squishytheduck

squishytheduck New Member

Welcome Kayem,

OMG I'm writing my dissertation too! I'm a biologist though, and I have to say, it is so difficult to force myself to do even open my stupid word files. Most days, I fail miserably and I'm so far behind. Sometimes I feel like doing a PhD in science was the worst decision I ever made, but other times I recognize that it was good in the sense that it allowed me time to figure out what I really love, and it made me who I am today. What I'm trying to say is, congratulations on finishing!!!! That's marvelous and I really applaud you because I'm also at that final step and I know exactly how difficult this process is.

You're British and you've got a graduate degree in English. I can assure you, every word you write is not the worst thing ever. I know how you feel though, I vacillate between thinking this same thing and thinking I can actually publish anything anywhere by the hour, sometimes. I'm sure every writer, indeed every artist, thinks this. It's natural. And hey, even if this is true, you've come to a place where you can get advice and improve, so it's only going to get better from here:)

14. Michael O

Michael O Member

HEY! Don't forget axe murderers! We trump sadists like Rock breaks Scissors!

15. Michael O

Michael O Member

Yeah.....The tea.....That's the retard side. More screw up than a football bat.

16. kayem

kayem New Member

Oh, you guys.

^^ Know this feeling! I wouldn't say I'm quite finished yet - I've been offered a two week extension so I'm in the processes of reworking a lot of it. I find the hardest part about it is ignoring the work I've previously done. Writing is so much more stressful when you know it's going to be 'marked', and will most likely determine your final grade - and therefore your job opportunities. This story will literally change my life!

Anyway, good luck with yours, keep going with it. The best advice I can give for motivation is when you get out of bed in the morning, you just get straight to it. It can feel so soul destroying, but it's worth it in the end... right? Yes. Yes it is. Definitely. ..I think. No, it is. Anyway, this is me, everyday, when I think about how much work I have to do over the next three weeks, and how much it's going to affect my future: http://i.imgur.com/TI793.gif

What have I let myself in for?! I better start preparing for some hardcore critiquing of my haphazard attempts at literature... Brace yourself! Haha.

Oh gaaaad, the tea. The teaaaa!

Anyway, cheers you lot, you've made me feel very welcome.
    :redface:
    KM