1. Edward

Edward Active Member

Celestial War [Religious, Possibly offensive?]

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Edward, Sep 5, 2007.

A friend and I came up with this idea when we were screwing around with RPG Maker XP, wanted to see what you people thought about it. Here's the little lead-in/

In the beginning there was the Creator, who lived up to the name and created the world, through little more than the instinctive knowledge that existence should exist. Fait lux, the Creator created everything, ex nihilo.

As the years went on, the Creator vanished from It's creation. Some say the Creator became one with the creation. Others say that the Creator never existed. Still others cried out "Our Creator sees our suffering and does nothing!" Whatever the reasons, the Celestials, the Creator's 'children', got along fine.

Even after a great Earthquake ravaged Eden and split the continent in two, the Celestials were still a single people. The first the sides did was build crude boats to sail across the channel and trade and socialize with their brethren. Eastern Eden and Western Eden were still one. As time went by though, the physical divide extended to a social one. Soon the Celestials became two people separated by a channel instead of one. The Celestials in the East became known as the Angels, the Celestials in the West became known as Demons.

Their minor differences grew, and trouble brewed into conflict. No one knows who threw the first assault, but the First Celestial War ended in Eastern Eden, in the fields of Tir na Nog. Michael, leader of the Angelic Celestials fought his twin brother Lucifer in single combat. Michael clipped his brother in the leg, Lucifer fell, his sword knocked away. Michael had defeated his brother, and in doing so the Demonic Celestials. The war was over, and the Demons were exiled to Hell.

Under the guidance of Lucifer, the Demons made the best of their situation and built the city of Pandemonium in Hell's Elysium Fields. Suffering from their defeat though, the great city slipped into a depression. Azazel, Lucifer's lieutenant during the War, blamed his captain for the depression, as well as the defeat. Azazel swayed popular opinion, and the Demons rebelled against their leader. Once more Lucifer was banished from the world he had helped create.

Now, Years later another Celestial War is on the rise. Metatron, the "voice of the Creator" foresees the coming of the Riders, Four Celestial Horsemen, neither Angel nor Demon, Heralds of Rebirth or Destruction. The creature Apollyon has begun to stir. A strange child named Yeshuah has began to tend to Metatron. The War is coming, and both sides need someone to tip the scales: The missing Lucifer.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Characters
    Metatron- a young girl who either knows the will of the Creator, or is deeply disturbed. She speaks in riddles and metaphors and lives in Empyrea, Heaven's capital.
    Yeshuah-An orphaned child who cares for Metatron
    Michael- Head of the Angelic Celestials, Adonai to the Angels, Satan to the Demons. He knows his brother may be the only one who can stop Azazel.
    Gabriel- Michael's second in command
    Azazel- The new leader of the Demonic Celestials, Adonai to the Demons, Satan to the Angels. He also knows that Lucifer will tip the scales in his favour.
    Araqiel- Azazel's second in command
    Apollyon- A creature from the Abyss, his only purpose to destroy the world and devour existence.
    Amity/Strife- The First Rider, mounted on a white Horse and carrying a bow.
    Peace/War- The Second Rider, mounted on a Red Horse and carrying a sword.
    Famine/Feast- The Third Rider, bearing a scale and riding a black horse.
    Life/Death- The Final Rider, mounted upon a pale green horse and carrying a scythe.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It certainly sounds interesting, but I don't personally see how it could be offensive. Perhaps I'm just missing something. At any rate, I would advise you to simply start writing it (if you do mean it to be a novel), and see what comes out.

3. Edward

Edward Active Member

Well, the thought of Lucifer not being a bad guy was mostly what I was thinking people would get upset about. Some people can get rather offended when it comes to religion over the littlest things.

I had originally planned to make it an RPG, but if it'll get enough to write a story, you can bet I'll do that.

Actually, I think I'll double notebook it and try writing it during Driving school

4. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

I don't think that the possibility of offending someone should ever deter you from writing what you want to write. Harry Potter, for example. It's offended thousands of people and remains the second-most best selling book in the history of books.

Now, if you're writing for the purpose of inflaming others, then there might be an issue there, but if it's just an idea you'd like to explore, thengo for it. You aren't forcing people to read/comment.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member

I love your combination of judeo-christian religion and greek myths. I believe that anything that causes people to think about the divine is a positive thing.

I'd go ahead and start writing...see what you come up with. The idea seems to have enough meat to make a novel from. I for one would love to read it.

6. Frost

Frost Active Member

That is a really cool plot for a story, but a cooler RPG.

7. ScaryPen

ScaryPen Active Member

This isn't offensive at all but rather very very interesting. And even if it does offend someone, it's okay. You can't please everyone. I really think you should go ahead with a novel based on this idea. Already I am in the 'what happens next?' state of mind and anything that can make the reader really enthusiastic about how it ends holds real potential. Good Luck! :)

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I would go farther and say that a novel that offends no one is probably a novel not worth reading, a novel with no fire, no soul.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

anything can be offensive to someone... if you want to be a successful writer, you'd better learn to accept that and just go ahead and write whatever you feel you need to, w/o worrying over who will think what about it...

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Polonius' advice? "To thine own self be true"?

11. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

Wasn't it the Gnostics who thought that God was "the bad guy?" Lucifer has been the left hand of god for quite some time. If he was not part of the plan, he would not be invited into the board room. Some people get over offended. I wouldnt.

lol. I think it is funny to have Eliesium Fields as a sort of sub division of paradise/ Does it have a Walmart?

12. dwspig2

dwspig2 New Member

I love Polonius!

I like the idea. These story lines intrigue me. I'd be interested to see how it turns out.