Tags:
  1. Derek Eberhardt

Derek Eberhardt New Member

Any good advice helps

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Derek Eberhardt, Feb 13, 2019.

Alright, so I’m new to posting on this forum. And Any forum really. I recently began writing what I’m calling a graphic novel. I’ve always enjoyed writing in some form but recently I started this, got creative and think I wanna try and run with it.

The problem is I can’t draw to save my life. I’ve Given it a shot once or twice but I’m no good. I don’t want a lot of illustration. Just a dozen or so drawings. I don’t really know anyone who can draw like that. And I’ve asked around socially a little too. I’ve got an image of these characters in my head I want drawn out. where is a good place to turn for that?? I also just have some general questions about writing a “professional grade” piece of work I guess. ?? If someone just wants to share some knowledge, tips , pointers. Let me hear it. Thanks for all. God Bless.

2. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

DeviantArt?

https://www.deviantart.com/

3. making tracks

making tracks Active Member

I love graphic novels!

I think you need to make sure you and the person you collaborate with are both clear about any expectations of payment / credit. You might want to look into any copyright issues that may arise down the line if you're using drawings by someone else. If you choose to collaborate with someone for the whole novel you might have to be realistic about how much artistic freedom they will want (putting their own ideas into it). So just be upfront with each other from the get go and get any agreements you make in writing.

Good luck!

Harmonices likes this.
  4. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

deviantart is a great place to commission artists if you want just a few sketches. But do understand you have to pay them. For some reason people seem to think that artists should work for free.

If you want to learn about doing a graphic novel, I suggest reaching out to Richard C Meyer. He just released the graphic novel "Jawbreakers." He is very accessible to fans. Now, you have to keep in mind that the people who drew Jawbreakers are top notch talent. But I think he would be open for someone who wants to know what steps they need to take to publish a graphic novel. PM me if you want the information on how to reach him.

Cave Troll likes this.