Tags:
  1. jmar2

jmar2 New Member

Life as narrated by Oprah

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jmar2, Apr 1, 2010.

Have any of you watched the opening episodes of the new documentary LIFE? It is appearing on many channels on Sunday nights. If you have, I was just wondering whether I have a distorted view of all things Oprah or if you agree with my assessment of her narrating skills.

The photography is great, but the narration is really, really bad. Not only doesn't she have a good narrator's voice, whoever amongst our writing community that wrote the script, seems to have focused on a 5th grade level and lots and lots and lots of cheap, sexual referencing a la 1950.

Just my two cents and if you turn the sound off, and just watch the pictures, it really is a great show.

John

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I haven't seen LIFE, but I've heard about it. I didn't know Oprah was narrating it. I'll check it out this weekend.

I used to watch Planet Earth which I thought had AMAZING footage and narration. If I had the money for the complete set, I would definitely buy it.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I have seen Life and the show is visually spectacular, but I have to agree that Oprah's voice does not lend itself to narration. She is no David Attenborough or James Earl Jones.

4. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Attenborough FTW. Why the heck isn't he narrating it anyway?!

5. jmar2

jmar2 New Member

Absolutely fascinating. After you posted your question I googled him to find out why not indeed?

HE DID.

This Discovery ten episode show appears to be the same one David narrated for the BBC-One channel back in September of 2009! For some reason the Discovery channel dumped him and his no doubt literate script and decided to dumb-down the show for Americans.

Go figure.

John

6. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

I was way too busy tripping on the awesomeness to even remember it was her.

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Yeah, I don't get why they would get Oprah to narrate the thing. No offense to her, because I DO like her, it's just that her voice isn't a narrating one, y'know?