1. wildflower

wildflower New Member

Ultimate ending lines

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by wildflower, May 16, 2008.

Same idea as favorite opening lines. Searched this and couldn't find it so apologies if it does actually exist on the forum

"...I leave it to be settled by whomever it may concern, whether the tendency of this work be altogether to recommend parental tyranny, or reward filial disobedience"
    J.A Northanger Abbey

2. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

Hmm. There has always been one ending line that kept ringing in my head for how cruel it was.

"Look! it's the lads, they've come to save us!"
    "Those aren't our lads.."
    "Then who are they?"
    "Wolves.."

From the story The Interlopers there are two men who hate each other for property rights, they attempt to kill each other in the forest but both get caught under a falling tree, after both bieng stuck (and luckily alive) for a few minutes, they put thier hatred aside and forgive each other.

But then when they see black shadows running down a snowy hill they think they are going to be saved by thier men. They are both devoured by wolves helplessly, regardless of thier forgiveness.

I always found that ending to be the most hilarious yet ironic ending for me. If you ever get the chance to read it i hope you get the same shock i did, it was great! :eek:

3. Da Vinci 2426

Da Vinci 2426 New Member

My "ultimate" ending line is a short one but the reason I like it so much is because it sums up the whole story.

"I Am Legend"

In the novel, I Am Legend, after Robert finds out he is about to be executed by the "living" vampires, he realizes that they were the ones fearing him, instead of him fearing them. Since he was the last of the dying breed, he became the "legend".