1. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Collaboration on Wattpad

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by VynniL, Sep 4, 2016.

Hello everyone...

I am currently busily working on a collaborative project with a partner and the writing chemistry has been great. We'd both like a bigger potential audience since we're putting a lot of effort on it. I thought of Wattpad. It's not a serious work but something I've been investing time on because I love the collaborative creative process and it's been crazy fun.

So my question is has anyone tried to publish a collaborative project on Wattpad?

My thoughts are that I'll create a joint account with him since Wattpad does not allow writers to separately contribute to a project. In some ways it is also a fun way for me to play with Wattpad, I've never used it.

Any advice, experience shared and etc is very much welcomed.

Linny

2. VynniL

Oh come on peoples... Am I doomed for even wanting to attempt this?! lol

3. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I've never tried to post anything on Wattpad or even tried collaborating in a writing project. I don't think that I could collaborate in a writing project to tell you the truth, because I don't understand the dynamics. But I do have a Wattpad subscription for what's worth.

What do you mean? You make a subscription. You log in. You post. As long as you know your username and password, it will be alright. ;)

My suggestion would be to read Wattpad's rules carefully. Read them again and think about it dearly, because you might end up regretting it. I'm not saying that it's fact. Not at all. Maybe you'll get what you were after and you'll be contempt with that. I also thought about it but in the end I haven't posted anything. Too busy working on things that I hope that some day will pay my bills. I know. I tend to aim high... But if you have a piece that is not too long, then go for it. You will get motivated by readers that liked your work and even get a picture of what readers are seeking or who is your target audience. Maybe you'll get tons of readers and that's a sign of being good at what you are doing. But read dem rulez homie! For what you post, can't be un-posted.

I sometimes try to read stories that are posted there. I know that I will sound cruel but... Most things are crap. There! I said it! Not good stuff. But maybe that's just me. Maybe I haven't stumbled on anything good enough to keep me reading for a couple of minutes. I'm a tough audience and there is tons of things going on there. Even the most "hot" reads seem ridiculous to me.

Another thing about Wattpad (at least if you care about your audience) is that you have to be consistent upon your posts. That is good and bad. Good, because it might build some discipline upon your writing schedule (the reason I thought about it, to be frank) but bad in case you fall behind it, or even worse if you quit half-ways (think about your distraught audience. It's not fair. I've done this before on another site and I somewhat felt bad about it. It's a shitty thing to do).

Well... That's all I think. Send me your link if you are up for this. Bold move. Good luck! :)

VynniL likes this.
  4. VynniL

@Malisky - I played with it a bit just a moment ago and it seems okay. Not sure about the quality of the stories, but I'll check out some romances to see if it's my thing. But I would expect, anything that allows anyone to upload will be filled with crappy stuff, we all like to think we're going to be published authors. hehe And I am sure our stuff would be added to that crappy count. ;)

But I thought it a great opportunity to play with Wattpad. It's a really, really, silly story. Well my contribution at least. But it's serious enough that I don't mind it is posted online and not serious enough that I want to go to the effort of self publish or traditional. We would just like a potential audience for this one. :)

Wattpad has been mentioned often over the years, and I think even an author I read used it to write a random on the fly novel for fun once. I can't remember exactly.

I actually really enjoy the collaborative process. Possibly too much!

Posting often won't be an issue, that's why it is good to be collaborating.

I'm not sure I should send anyone the link on this forum! It's pretty silly stuff. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2016
    Malisky likes this.
  5. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

True.

But maybe you'll make the difference. Make Wattpad classy LinnyV. At least make it interesting enough. Do not hesitate to send me the link. I won't criticize. I've read some comedic stories that were utterly ridiculous and over-the-top but I must admit that they were fun. So random and different from what I'm used to that I just kept on reading with an awkward, silly smile on my face. They were cut in half though. What a disappointment. I was really curious. :D

VynniL likes this.
  6. VynniL

But @Malisky - I might send you the link if you promise NEVER TO TELL! hehe Let me think on it, I keep my online personalities very separate. But this has been a really fun project. I promise to PM you once I get it working and I have the courage. It's a Sci-fantasy Romance that is so made up it's dopey but hilarious.

Partner's chapters has had me laughing my socks off...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2016
    Malisky likes this.