1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Same title for everything

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by deadrats, Sep 24, 2016.

So, I'm not usually that great at titles, but the title of my screenplay has to beb the best title I've probably come up with for anything ever. Chances of my first screenplay getting picked up are probably slim. I really haven't looked into it yet, but I am fully aware of how competitive the industry is. Not wanting to waste the title, I wrote a short story using this title and a poem using this title. Each one is a different story. They are not really connected. The short story uses one of the same characters and so does the poem. But a simple name change would cancel out that connection. And there is no name in the poem. Am I being weird by reusing this title for other works? Have any of you ever reused a title?

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I go through annoying themes with my titles and then confuse myself with them. I've never used the exact same title, but I had Out of the Darkness and Of Dark and Bright and Dark Houses and Dark Horse which was enough to mix me up...

deadrats likes this.
  3. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

Did this follow your "Fifty Shades of Gray" unpublished novel? :) Actually I am glad to see not all your works involved ice skating, I live in Florida and ice skating means fell out of the ice maker and slid across the floor, no longer suitable for your g&t.

BayView likes this.
  4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Oh, they're skating! Just... in the dark. And then out of the dark. And then back into the dark...

tonguetied and Tenderiser like this.
  5. Caveriver

Caveriver Active Member

I've had this problem in the past... used "Ophelia Broken" for the title of a poem, then a short story, then ended up changing them both for something else and not using my brilliant original for anything. I kept getting stuck trying to write a story to fit the title, not the other way around, and it was a wiff, to say the least.

Titles are NOT my strong suit... in fact, I have NO good ideas for my WIP. Everything ends up sounding like a drugstore romance novel (no judgment, just not the audience I am looking for). Anyone have any insights on creating powerful, encompassing titles that are relevant to the story?