Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

Do you put all other interests aside to write?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nhope, Sep 7, 2009.

Is writing all you do, other than the things you have to do? Have you put all your other interests aside?

I ask because I am torn. I feel other interests allow me the distraction, but so does my day job and taking care of my home and son, although he is now 17.

I am single so that isn't an issue, but I just love to write, I love words, I love the dictionary, quotes, and reading. I'm also looking for a writer's group in my area.

How do you feel about your writing and all else in your life?

2. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Hell no. Writing's a pleasure - if I did it to the exclusion of all else I don't think it'd be much of a pleasure any more. My time is currently divided between writing, poker, tailoring, website-tinkering and maths. If you're writing with the sole intent of getting published then there could well be an argument for devoting yourself to it completely, but if it's a hobby then it can easily be one hobby among many.

Besides which, having an interest in lots of things means there's a lot more things you can write about in-depth. You'll think up connections and plot-quirks you might not otherwise. As a for instance, a while ago I wrote a story about chaos theory, and I doubt that ever would have occurred to me if I hadn't been reading about the maths of it at the time.

3. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

I don't think you should treat writing like a job, because if you're writing obligatorily then your lack of enthusiasm will show through in what you've written.

The whole idea is that you write when you feel inspired, and if you have to do something else then do it, otherwise the distractions will degrade your overall writing quality.

I write when I get the time, and even then only if I feel like it. It means that my book will get finished at a slower pace than it could, but better a good book in its own time than a rubbish book this week.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You already started this discussion in the Lounge. Why are you restarting it here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.