1. elopial

elopial New Member

Mc attempting suicide?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by elopial, Apr 27, 2011.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of having one of mc attempting suicide but getting saved. He would then be sent away to live with his uncle for a few years and then returning. The story is set in a made up place that resembles England around the 12th century. I was thinking of time skipping from when he leaves till just as he returns but I'm not sure if then the reader will be annoyed. Also I'm not sure this plot would ruin the story especially as mc is a prince. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

It's fine to skip like that. What will annoy readers is if you have 20 pages of nothing but him hanging around at Uncle Ed's house.

1 person likes this.
  3. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t New Member

Just try to give some insight into what happened affecting the mc's mind while at the uncle's house. It's not important (it could, in fact, be really boring) to tell about everything that happened during his time there, but if there's a mental change, the reasons for that should perhaps be revealed.

Unless you're going for the modernist writing style, then the whole book will take twelve pages or less, and require five readings to understand entirely. ;)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Cogito - he wasn't asking for plot validation. He was asking what the consensus was on skipping time in a novel. Big difference between that and "please approve my plot before I start to write."

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Exactly. "Please approve my plot" is exactly the same as "Please approve my story," especially since what he is describing isn't a plot at all. It's a storyline, even if it is a part of a larger story.

It still all comes down to how well it is written.

7. elopial

elopial New Member

Thanks for the advice. I've decide to skip the time otherwise the book might be too long. Cogito i wasn't looking for plot validation but the link you suggested was helpful. I did get confused at your comment about plot and storyline though?