1. Finger Paint

Finger Paint New Member

Short Story Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Finger Paint, Nov 10, 2008.

I love to write, and I've always wrote stories for fun, I never seriously concentrate on any of my stories. I have a few complete short stories, but for the most part I don't complete stories. I just write down scenes from stories that I keep inside my imagination.
    Recently I started on a novella that I think I might finish. But the plot is shotty and the world it takes place in is a little iffy. I can tell that it's not going to be very good; it's definitely going to be one of my under-the-bed stories.
    So, I'm wondering if it's worth it to concentrate on finishing it. So far I'm having a lot of fun writing it and I think I would learn a lot from finishing it. But it's not going to amount to anything. In fact I think I'll be too embarrassed of it to show it to anyone once I'm done.

2. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

In the end, one is only ever writing for oneself. If you care about your writing and you feel like this is helping you, then you should do it.

3. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I would imagine most people start off writing less than brilliant work. Just keep at it. It sounds like you will because you love doing it.

Welcome to the forum. I notice this is your first post, make sure to introduce yourself in New Member Introductions.

Also spend some time reading the forum rules before you post your work if you haven't already. https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?p=101625#post101625

Good luck with your writing, garmar.

4. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Check out the link in my siggy (the John Scalzi article). The answers are right there.

5. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

If I answer yes or no, I would only be answering that question from my point of view. What is important is your point of view. Of course by asking, you can't decide for yourself, but just know that indecisiveness is a severe weakness.

Just go ahead and write fif not for others then for yourself.

6. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

If you're having fun doing it, then by all means keep on writing it! I write first and foremost for myself, as I've demonstrated when people told me I should take out certain elements of my stories that I wanted to keep for my sake. And who knows, maybe it can be turned into something beautiful.
    Hope that helps! Nate

7. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Do it, and give it your all. Pour your entire being into it; write as though your life depends on it.

8. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Almost all of the stuff I wrote years ago, which I thought was good, is cringe inducing and horrible now. Does that mean it wasn't worth it? Not by a long shot. I learned from the process of writing bad stuff, plus, I finished it, which is more than a lot of wannabe writers can say.

If you're having fun writing your story and think you can learn from it, then keep at it. Finish it. Then you'll have done two useful things:

1. You'll have learned some about how to write a story, even if it's just a lousy one; and

2. You'll have finished it.

Then you can get on to writing more stuff, and each time, it'll suck a little less. That's how most writers learn, by writing lousy stuff for a while.

If you scrap the story, what good does that do? You're still going to have to write some lousy stuff in order to learn, and it'll be just one more story you didn't bother to finish. What have you got to lose by working on it? Nothing. Compare that to what you've got to lose by NOT working on it, and I think you'll find the answer.

9. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

You learn something from everything you write. You learn even more from the things you finish. Just learning to take a story from beginning to end is a valuable skill, and not the piece of cake it might look like.

Do you want to learn the skill of finishing on this piece or do you want to deal with the learning curve on a story that is really important to you?

Only you can say if it's worth it.

RR

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

There is great value in learning to complete tasks in life...any tasks. For that reason alone, you should complete your work.

11. peregrine

peregrine New Member

Unless there is a pressing need for you to publish a bestseller really soon, I would finish it. Anything that improves your writing style or helps you learn is always worthwhile.